Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

40 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool! Where did you see that and do you know a back story?

There are also Indian Jeeps built under license by Mahindra.

https://www.facebook.com/Carscoffeewestchester1/?hc_ref=ARQIZ4ooqbI-NKo6f816LOtM2IdVFFFU1lTHXYQEOZrr9pEBVPDseRmwaN6PHSdiHJM&ref=nf_target&__tn__=kC-R

The young man that owned it had it for a couple years and was doing some restoration to it w/o altering it too much.  Mitsubishi built them under license from Willys starting in 1953 based on the CJ-3.  The hood on this one isn't original as it's stampede Willys but was a direct replacement.  The pipes through the dash  Defroster!  Engine is a diesel Mitsubishi 4 cylinder.  Notice that although it's right hand drive, the gas tank remained on the left side.

Mitsubishi Jeep 3.JPG

Mitsubishi Jeep 4.JPG

This afternoon I was driving on the freeway when up ahead of me was a 1960's VW bus.  I got close enough to read a large sticker on the rear panel that warned that it is a slow moving vehicle.  They were not kidding.  That VW was cruising along at 55 MPH.  I figured that was the fastest that vehicle could go.

Edited by carrucha

10 hours ago, carrucha said:

This afternoon I was driving on the freeway when up ahead of me was a 1960's VM bus.  I got close enough to read a large sticker on the rear panel that warned that it is a slow moving vehicle.  They were not kidding.  That VW was cruising along at 55 MPH.  I figured that was the fastest that vehicle could go.

Probably full speed!

Many years ago I went to Toledo NNL by myself, driving from NJ through Pennsylvania on Interstate 80.  On my way home I passed a 1960s VW bus going about 55 mph.. it had Vermont plates on it.

I took a rest stop about once an hour, stopping for 5-10 minutes. And each time I got back on the road I’d pass him again! I assume he never stopped, just kept chugging along!

Edited by Tom Geiger

30 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Probably full speed!

Many years ago I went to Toledo NNL by myself, driving from NJ through Pennsylvania on Interstate 80.  On my way home I passed a 1960s VW bus going about 55 mph.. it had Vermont plates on it.

I took a rest stop about once an hour, stopping for 5-10 minutes. And each time I got back on the road I’d pass him again! I assume he never stopped, just kept chugging along!

Reminds me of the old tail of the Tortoise  and the  hair.  

17 hours ago, carrucha said:

This afternoon I was driving on the freeway when up ahead of me was a 1960's VM bus.  I got close enough to read a large sticker on the rear panel that warned that it is a slow moving vehicle.  They were not kidding.  That VW was cruising along at 55 MPH.  I figured that was the fastest that vehicle could go.

On 17 headed toward Santa Cruz ?  ?

6 hours ago, Rodent said:

On 17 headed toward Santa Cruz ?  ?

It was on 880 southbound near Hayward.  I was driving back home from Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro.  It was a VW bus. Not a VM bus.   I need to improve my typing.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:06 PM, carrucha said:

It was on 880 southbound near Hayward.  I was driving back home from Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro.  It was a VW bus. Not a VM bus.   I need to improve my typing.

My neck of the woods ? Hobbies Unlimited is a good place, nice guy that runs it. 

Took my Datsun to the garage yesterday, it was in good company.

IMG_2624edit.jpg.6e2bfc23769cefbb2083961b2e88a0bf.jpg

As well as day-to-day servicing and repairs athey also build and run racings cars and look after quite a few old vehicles in the area, so it's always worth making sure I have the camera with me when I take one of mine there.

I took my 2015 Hyundai Elantra for annual state inspection. It was due March, but forgiven until this month due to Coronavirus.

Here in Pennsylvania USA, it’s done by private garages and is pretty much open season on motorists since the garage is rewarded with any repairs they can find or fabricate.One year I had a chain store tell me my two week old wipers needed replacing. 

So now I have a relationship with a local garage that does my work, and they are honest.  Any other place would’ve demanded to replace all four brakes and tires., my garage? You have maybe 5000 miles left on them, come in before winter!

And what did I see on the road? Sitt g right next to my red Huundai was an exact same twin! I had to click my fob to see which one was mine!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 7/31/2020 at 2:15 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I took my 2015 Hyundai Elantra for annual state inspection. It was due March, but forgiven until this month due to Coronavirus.

Here in Pennsylvania USA, it’s done by private garages and is pretty much open season on motorists since the garage is rewarded with any repairs they can find or fabricate.One year I had a chain store tell me my two week old wipers needed replacing. 

So now I have a relationship with a local garage that does my work, and they are honest.  Any other place would’ve demanded to replace all four brakes and tires., my garage? You have maybe 5000 miles left on them, come in before winter!

And what did I see on the road? Sitt g right next to my red Huundai was an exact same twin! I had to click my fob to see which one was mine!

Interesting, you have pretty much the same system we do here. Definitely wise to go to a trusted garage who knows the car and owner.

That was the reason for taking the Datsun to the garage, it went straight through the test with just one suggestion on something I need to look at. I could have not bothered, as relatively recently the rules changed and cars over 40 years old are exempt for the MoT test. However that doesn't seem right to me, and if ever there was an accident I think it would be helpful to show the car did have a current MoT. For the sake of £25 it's good peace of mind.

Oddly, in Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) the MoT tests are carried out by a government body.

In France the tests seem to be carried out by private companies who do not carry out repairs.

Saw a couple of interesting things yesterday:

50175870277_3f1c662499_b.jpg

1984 Renault 4 GTL by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Good inspiration for the Heller kit I have? I should be on holiday in France right now, they have quite a few of them there still in everyday use, so it felt appropriate to catch sight of this one.

50175075778_d1fe2e0a5c_b.jpg

1974 Triumph Stag by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The original 3-litre V8 in these makes a lovely noise, but many got converted to Ford/Rover over the years due to overheating issues. Nowadays there's the knowledge and value in the car to deal with that and keep the original unit.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Interesting, you have pretty much the same system we do here. Definitely wise to go to a trusted garage who knows the car and owner.

That was the reason for taking the Datsun to the garage, it went straight through the test with just one suggestion on something I need to look at. I could have not bethered, as relatively recently the rules changed and cars over 40 years old are exempt for the MoT test. However that doesn't seem right to me, and if ever there was an accident I think it would be helpful to show the car did have a current MoT. For the sake of £25 it's good peace of mind.

Oddly, in Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) the MoT tests are carried out by a government body.

In France the tests seem to be carried out by private companies who do not carry out repairs.

Saw a couple of interesting things yesterday:

50175870277_3f1c662499_b.jpg

1984 Renault 4 GTL by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Good inspiration for the Heller kit I have? I should be on holiday in France right now, they have quite a few of them there still in everyday use, so it felt appropriate to catch sight of this one.

50175075778_d1fe2e0a5c_b.jpg

1974 Triumph Stag by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The original 3-litre V8 in these makes a lovely noise, but many got converted to Ford/Rover over the years due to overheating issues. Nowadays there's the knowledge and value in the car to deal with that and keep the original unit.

The Stag in it's natural habitat, parked at a workshop! It's always good to see older vehicles around, although I'm one of the few that doesn't like Stags. Too fussy and the detailing looks cheap - set off by those horrid 'sculpted' wheel trims. If I had to choose, I'd buy a beret and take the R4!

20 minutes ago, DonW said:

The Stag in it's natural habitat, parked at a workshop! It's always good to see older vehicles around, although I'm one of the few that doesn't like Stags. Too fussy and the detailing looks cheap - set off by those horrid 'sculpted' wheel trims. If I had to choose, I'd buy a beret and take the R4!

It's nice to see a Stag out and about on the road, but I tend to overlook them at shows. Don't know if it's just a local thing, but the owners tend to turn up and do everything en-masse, and there's only so much interest can be had in a row of 12 similar cars.

Styling of the 2000/2500 saloons works better, I'd happily have one of them (or the elegant estate version).

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That was the reason for taking the Datsun to the garage, it went straight through the test with just one suggestion on something I need to look at. I could have not bethered, as relatively recently the rules changed and cars over 40 years old are exempt for the MoT test. However that doesn't seem right to me, and if ever there was an accident I think it would be helpful to show the car did have a current MoT. For the sake of £25 it's good peace of mind.

Here we have 50 states that make up their own rules and practices are all over the board. Some states have tough tests annually while others have none at all! 

Found this languishing behind a gas station garage. BB 454/auto trans. 71 or 72 I believe. 20200731_111036_HDR.thumb.jpg.e19f7b1fa79b66f0e4c2ab0555eca432.jpgInspection/registration good through 2021. Interior looks pretty trashed, front bumper separating from body. Spider web on front wheel, chipped doors, etc. Couldn't read the odometer. I'll take it!

20200731_110935_HDR.jpg

20200731_111113_HDR.jpg

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Here we have 50 states that make up their own rules and practices are all over the board. Some states have tough tests annually while others have none at all! 

Why not one sensible, practical system that ensures all vehicles are safe to be on the road? it works here.

steve