Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Took my BIL a pizza for lunch today. I wanted to check on him. He was the man married to my sister that just passed away Wednesday, All things considered he is doing quite well or at least as well as can be expected.

He might be doin' quite well today, but tomorrow might not be so good. It's gonna take awhile for a person to get used to the idea of their mate being gone for good. Of course we should remember the good times.

My younger daughter came to our house for the weekend.  We had no other commitments so it was pool and food time.  Yesterday went well, and we went out to dinner last night. Today I decided I'd do a grand barbeque.  The women folk headed for the pool and I went to the grocery store. Upon my return, I was toting groceries up the driveway and I spotted this... 

christies tire

My adult daughter who gets upset when I question her if she's taking care of her car was riding on two of these.  So much for my afternoon in the pool.  I checked the Pep Boys website and my local store had the correct Hankook tires.  I grabbed her keys and headed over there. The service writer said he'd see if he could fit this in today. I told him he was going to do this today.  He understood the urgency.  There was no way she was going 100 miles back to NJ on these tires!

By days end she had new tires on the back of her car. We had the barbeque I had planned and she went home safely.  The good part I guess is that I'm still needed as a parent. And I will be checking her car no matter how much she objects!

Then the fun part... my daughter needed gas on her way home. She is from New Jersey so she has no idea how to pump gas. I agreed to go with her to the station on the way to the Turnpike to help her buy gas.  The gas station is a left turn on the highway so we are in the left lane, me in the lead and her following me. At the light a boy racer in his Honda buzz bomb pulls up alongside me.  He is sitting there revving his fart can.  I'm driving my PT Cruiser convertible with the high output turbo.  I have just drove the thing normally the past month I've owned it.  The light changes and we both hit the gas.  Suddenly I'm peeling out!  And the turbo kicks in and this thing has serious power!  I am way ahead of boy racer.  We land at the next light and he gives me a thumbs up.  He yells, "What the heck you got in there?"  I respond with a shrug, "Stock turbo".  Light changes and I leave him in the dust a second time.

Next light is my left turn.  We pull into the gas station and my daughter is scolding me  "What's that for a man your age?"   I'm just smiling ear to ear.  I'm still smiling ear to ear!

Edited by Tom Geiger

My younger daughter came to our house for the weekend.  We had no other commitments so it was pool and food time.  Yesterday went well, and we went out to dinner last night. Today I decided I'd do a grand barbeque.  The women folk headed for the pool and I went to the grocery store. Upon my return, I was toting groceries up the driveway and I spotted this... 

christies tire

My adult daughter who gets upset when I question her if she's taking care of her car was riding on two of these.  So much for my afternoon in the pool.  I checked the Pep Boys website and my local store had the correct Hankook tires.  I grabbed her keys and headed over there. The service writer said he'd see if he could fit this in today. I told him he was going to do this today.  He understood the urgency.  There was no way she was going 100 miles back to NJ on these tires!

By days end she had new tires on the back of her car. We had the barbeque I had planned and she went home safely.  The good part I guess is that I'm still needed as a parent. And I will be checking her car no matter how much she objects!

Then the fun part... my daughter needed gas on her way home. She is from New Jersey so she has no idea how to pump gas. I agreed to go with her to the station on the way to the Turnpike to help her buy gas.  The gas station is a left turn on the highway so we are in the left lane, me in the lead and her following me. At the light a boy racer in his Honda buzz bomb pulls up alongside me.  He is sitting there revving his fart can.  I'm driving my PT Cruiser convertible with the high output turbo.  I have just drove the thing normally the past month I've owned it.  The light changes and we both hit the gas.  Suddenly I'm peeling out!  And the turbo kicks in and this thing has serious power!  I am way ahead of boy racer.  We land at the next light and he gives me a thumbs up.  He yells, "What the heck you got in there?"  I respond with a shrug, "Stock turbo".  Light changes and I leave him in the dust a second time.

Next light is my left turn.  We pull into the gas station and my daughter is scolding me  "What's that for a man your age?"   I'm just smiling ear to ear.  I'm still smiling ear to ear!

You're a good man, as those tires spelled "disaster." Not even good enough for a spare tire.

christies tire

Slightly screwed up day, GREAT ending!

Is it just me, or do tires, despite all the mileage extolling, seem to not last as long as they should anymore?

Charlie Larkin

In NJ you cannot pump your own gas... all stations have pump attendants who do it for you...... I know... it's weird...  but so is a lot of stuff in NJ... like the famous "jug handles", where you have to make a right turn first to make a left turn...

I don't understand why she's from NJ and doesn't know how to pump gas.  Is that a NJ joke or something?

Actually the gas is cheaper in NJ than in the surrounding states!   And with full service many NJ citizens have never had to pump gas. 

Every few years the gasoline company lobby brings it up, with idiotic radio ads like "Your state legislature is keeping you from YOUR RIGHT to pump your own gas".  Yea, like extra work is your right.  It's like a Tom Sawyer painting the fence thing. No sane NJ politician will support going self serve, as the public is adamantly against the change!  I live in PA but work in NJ so I buy most of my gas there. It's cheaper than PA and I can sit and relax while someone else pumps the gas.   It's even better when the weather is bad.

The whole thing has worked this way in other states as they went to "self service".  Note that the gasoline companies want self service because in other states once it came about, they immediately canceled station leases to independent dealers, turned the service bays into a convenience store and ran it as a company owned station with one employee. Companies will say that gas will be cheaper with self service, but studies show that prices (and oil company profits) ran right back up again.

NJ and Oregon are the only two states that adhere to federal guidelines for the safe handling of class 3 flammable liquids. The MSDS for gasoline  states:

Obtain special instructions before use.  (Training on handling Class 3 flammable liquids)

Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood

Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.

Wash hands and forearms thoroughly after handling.

Edited by Tom Geiger