Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Last year I let the web-hosting expire on my Ace-Garage.com website (though I continued to pay for the domain name, just in case). It seemed to be a waste of money to keep my own site when it looked like I would be working with Mills for the foreseeable future. But things change.

I'm now contracting to two other high-end shops here, and fixing to set my machine shop back up in one of them, so to effectively market my skills, i need my own site back up.

Luckily, though my web host did NOT save any of the old content, much of it is archived separately online, for which I'm grateful (:D)...as the XP drive all that stuff was on is now a charred ruin.

That pic is so very cool !  Love it !  Thanks.

Thank You

Awesome to say the least. Just how early do you have to get up to get a "money shot" like that?

Depends on where you are. This shot was taken ~5 minutes before Sunrise.

That might be the best one yet.

Hopefully I can do better, but glad you enjoyed it.

Holy moley. :D   Image result for az state flag

Now That's High Praise!!:D

OK, technically it was yesterday, but I got a job offer (pending background checks and such) that would pretty much solve my financial issues. Not as an electronic tech, but they did like the fact that I am very experienced with testing and troubleshooting, and that I do have mechanical experience (working on cars as a hobby). It's a contract position for now. May or may not lead to direct hire later, no promises. After not having a reliable paycheck for so long I don't really care as long as the job lasts for a while. It's by Sky Harbor (Phoenix AZ) airport.

Job is doing production work (assembly and some testing possibly) on jet engines and APU's. I'm still a little foggy on what all I would be doing, but apparently getting greasy is part of it. Hoping to start about the first of September if all goes well. If not, I will be doing a follow up in the "what irked you today" thread.

Russ

...It's by Sky Harbor (Phoenix AZ) airport...

...Job is doing production work (assembly and some testing possibly) on jet engines and APU's. I'm still a little foggy on what all I would be doing, but apparently getting greasy is part of it... 

I don't know how old you are or what you want to do with the rest of your life, but that seems like it could possibly be a stepping stone towards getting your A&P license (airframe and powerplant mechanic). With a technical background and working for a while in the aviation industry at an FAA-certified location (any company working on jet engines and flying APU units will have to be an FAA-approved "repair station"), it's not all that much of a jump to getting your license. Once you have it, you're employable anywhere there are aircraft. There's a shortage of good, qualified licensed A&P techs.

You write like you have a functioning brain, so the test-taking part of the A&P licensing requirement should be easy for you to pass, especially as you already have some hands-on technical experience and presumably a good degree of mechanical aptitude.

While there are diploma mills that charge a lot of money to get you certified, YOU CAN DO IT ENTIRELY ON YOUR OWN. Getting a period of hands-on experience in an FAA shop and studying for and passing the written and practical tests is all it really takes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks.

I just turned 57, fat and very out of shape. My body does not bend or stretch like it used to.
Climbing in and around aircraft is probably not in my future, but it's a good thought to keep in mind. Things can always change and that could be an option. Although I really really want to be able to retire in the next 10 years if not earlier, but short of winning the lottery that is not going to happen.

Oh, and this may be an FAA cert. repair station(I don't know), but they manufacture engines. I do have to go through the FAA background and drug testing.

Guess I can say it's Honeywell. Used to be Allied Signal and I believe Garrett Turbine before that even.

Russ

Edited by russosborne
added info

Got a slight change of employment going on again of my own, ended up switching from Inside/Oustide Sales Rep to Customer Service Rep (IE, call center) at my current.  It's not as much money as the sales rep job, but I still have commission income potential plus overtime pay if 40hrs is exceeded, don't have to go out and walk houses in 90°, high humidity weather, or put a bunch of rather abusive miles on and abuse the starter of my car, since the office is only 3.5miles from home, and I'm back to only 5 days a week.

It's close enough to home that I could actually go back for when I get my 1hr lunch and the drive there and back is probaly 2/3 of the distance that the drive to where my old HobbyTown was.

Took the Mustang out to Lowe's for a pruning blade for the sawzall.  Hit Taco Bell for lunch.  Stopped at the LHS for some supplies.  Worked in the shop on a '57 Ford Del Rio, '86 Choo Choo El Camino, and a Rat Roaster.  Took a dip in the pool.  Presently enjoying a 2nd Jim Beam & RC Cola while getting ready to have Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches with krinkle cut french fries for dinner.  Does life get any better?

Took the Mustang out to Lowe's for a pruning blade for the sawzall.  Hit Taco Bell for lunch.  Stopped at the LHS for some supplies.  Worked in the shop on a '57 Ford Del Rio, '86 Choo Choo El Camino, and a Rat Roaster.  Took a dip in the pool.  Presently enjoying a 2nd Jim Beam & RC Cola while getting ready to have Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches with krinkle cut french fries for dinner.  Does life get any better?

After a rather busy summer with my daughter's wedding, we had a day where we had nothing planned. I got up this morning and had two leisurely cups of coffee with my wife while browsing the Internet. Then I worked on my US stamp collection a bit,  I'm trying to figure out special issues of the 1930s, which had me thinking about the cars of that era as I worked.  Then we had lunch,  I made fried bologna and cheese sandwiches!  Then we marinated in the pool for the afternoon, while sipping beers.  Now I'm sitting here waiting for pizza.   Yea, life is pretty decent.

Except for the Taco Bell it sounds like a good day !  : )

I thought about going in Portillos for lunch yesterday--was right beside the one in Scottsdale--but went to In-and-Out instead...forgot how small their regular cheeseburgers are.