Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Well it actually happened yesterday.I saw a new mid engine Vette.I gotta say,I have mixed feelings.IMO,The C7,is the last REAL ALL American Corvette,not a Ferrarivette.Still,I’d love to road test one.I would beat the snot out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was pleased yesterday when I opened the post. I had a summons from the Crown Prosecution Service to appear in court in Glasgow.

Glasgow is over 350 miles away from my home and I haven't been there for 8 years or so, so my first thought was 'What can they be after me for?'

It turns out I'm needed as a witness in the prosecution of a scammer who conned me out of a rather good bass guitar that I was selling on Ebay. The scammer sent a few fake messages that appeared to be from Paypal telling me the 'buyer' had paid £360 that would be released when I sent the guitar and gave them the dispatch number. 

I called Police Scotland, who duly busted the apartment where the scammer had signed for receipt of the guitar (wish I'd been there!) and got it back. And now the scammer is going to court, November 11th. I can't wait! Travel and hotel expenses paid, reimbursed for any lost income and I get Exhibit A, the bass, back again! ?

14 minutes ago, DonW said:

I was pleased yesterday when I opened the post. I had a summons from the Crown Prosecution Service to appear in court in Glasgow...

...I called Police Scotland, who duly busted the apartment where the scammer had signed for receipt of the guitar (wish I'd been there!) and got it back. And now the scammer is going to court, November 11th. I can't wait! Travel and hotel expenses paid, reimbursed for any lost income and I get Exhibit A, the bass, back again! ?

Most excellent. I hope they hang the little bugger. Pity they won't.

Seems like if he's smart enough to pull off a sophisticated fraud involving fake PayPal emails, he ought to be able to make enough money honestly to buy just about anything he could reasonably want. Some folks just aren't wired that way though, unfortunately.

Yeah, the only suspended sentence they're likely to get will probably be probation for a few months. It's actually a she, btw - or pretended to be. 'A present for my cousin to show how much I love him'. ?

I do hope they do time at least, but either way I get my axe back and a free trip to Glasgow!

1 hour ago, DonW said:

Yeah, the only suspended sentence they're likely to get will probably be probation for a few months. It's actually a she, btw - or pretended to be. 'A present for my cousin to show how much I love him'. ?

I do hope they do time at least, but either way I get my axe back and a free trip to Glasgow!

Sounds like this isn't the first time she has done something like this. Hope the Authorities  are able to make the last. 

2 hours ago, DonW said:

they wont, they'll get a slap on the wrist and maybe 200 hours community service so they can learn how to do it better next time. If they do get jail it will be suspended due to covid, and as long as they dont get CAUGHT breaking the law again they'll just keep doing it. Jail isn't going to stop her either way, its like college for crime so put her to work digging graves, cutting grass in parks, repainting kids play areas or cleaning hospitals so it really is community service. weeding outside the council offices is not community service, community service to my mind should be about improving areas the public use, 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Sounds like this isn't the first time she has done something like this. Hope the Authorities  are able to make the last. 

45 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

they wont, they'll get a slap on the wrist and maybe 200 hours community service so they can learn how to do it better next time. If they do get jail it will be suspended due to covid, and as long as they dont get CAUGHT breaking the law again they'll just keep doing it. Jail isn't going to stop her either way, its like college for crime so put her to work digging graves, cutting grass in parks, repainting kids play areas or cleaning hospitals so it really is community service. weeding outside the council offices is not community service, community service to my mind should be about improving areas the public use, 

Thanks for the replies. The policeman leading the investigation couldn't tell me much but I got the strong impression this was a fairly wide scale operation, and they were well keen to bust it. I imagine this flat in Glasgow as an Aladdin's cave of ill-gotten guitars, amps and many shiny things. Worst thing in some ways was that I'd spent a few hours sorting out some lengths of old wood and making a strong box, bit like a coffin, to keep the bass safe. They wrecked that.

Yes I agree about community service. Not just physical labour, depends on the crim being dealt with. And the crime. Maybe this person is smart enough and non-violent enough to be involved in social care. A few hours a day with a lonely person. But like Bill said, some people aren't wired that way. And what costs more, a re-usable bit of rope and a hangman's pay or six months in criminal training college, sorry, jail?

I'l certainly let you know the verdict.  

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

...so put her to work digging graves, cutting grass in parks, repainting kids play areas or cleaning hospitals so it really is community service. weeding outside the council offices is not community service, community service to my mind should be about improving areas the public use...

I vote for scrubbing graffiti off of buildings, with a toothbrush.

2 minutes ago, DonW said:

...And what costs more, a re-usable bit of rope and a hangman's pay or six months in criminal training college, sorry, jail?

One of the few things I kinda agree with (on principle) practiced by a group of folks who shall remain nameless is removing the hand of someone caught stealing. Pretty strong visual reminder of whatcha did wrong, and what the next offense will get you.

"Uncivilized!!!!" I hear people screeching from the bleachers.

OK. So somebody explain to me what's so dammed "civilized" about somebody helping himself to what I WORKED for?

Reba and Vince Gill did an acoustic set from the Grant Ole Opry, sans live audience earlier tonight.  I had her gospel song "Give This World Back to God' at my dad's funeral.  

I know she is ten years older than me, but I would still leave my wife and kids Christmas morning for that woman.

• 3 weeks later...

Never did I imagine that I would ever say 'watching an NHL playoff game' for my birthday (today) but to watch the Blue Jackets come back from a 3-0 deficit to win in overtime was a great ending to the day

Made Jambalaya with alligator sausage and shrimp for dinner.

Brought another little car back from the dead. '05 Neon 2-liter I got for almost nothing after a Chinee-special radiator tank split, and the owner overheated it pretty badly while getting it safely off the interstate. Even though I explained he was probably fixable relatively inexpensively, she just didn't want to put any more money in him, and was ready to send him to the crusher.

Put in a new rad on Saturday, fixed a few "engine light" issues, test-drove him, and was pleasantly surprised that incredibly, the head gasket isn't blown...yet.

I have a used head coming to build on the bench, as the last wizard to put a cam belt on him bent a valve slightly, so there's a low-compression miss at idle...and a "cylinder one misfire" code.

I REALLY like Neons. They're fun to drive, are one of the best handling little cars out there, and this one, getting around 30 MPG or better on the highway, will save me some serious gas money while I re-engine the 10 MPG '89 GMC.

I think this little guy is eventually going to get Webers (will need to blister the hood for clearance), a cam, and a set of headers.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Brought another little car back from the dead. '05 Neon 2-liter I got for almost nothing after a Chinee-special radiator tank split, and the owner overheated it pretty badly while getting it safely off the interstate. Even though I explained he was probably fixable relatively inexpensively, she just didn't want to put any more money in him, and was ready to send him to the crusher.

Put in a new rad on Saturday, fixed a few "engine light" issues, test-drove him, and was pleasantly surprised that incredibly, the head gasket isn't blown...yet.

I have a used head coming to build on the bench, as the last wizard to put a cam belt on him bent a valve slightly, so there's a low-compression miss at idle...and a "cylinder one misfire" code.

I REALLY like Neons. They're fun to drive, are one of the best handling little cars out there, and this one, getting around 30 MPG or better on the highway, will save me some serious gas money while I re-engine the 10 MPG '89 GMC.

I think this little guy is eventually going to get Webers (will need to blister the hood for clearance), a cam, and a set of headers.

Nice one!

Always thought they were cool little cars. "I think this little guy is eventually going to get Webers (will need to blister the hood for clearance), a cam, and a set of headers."

Would love to see a photo of that when it happens.

2 hours ago, porschercr said:

...Would love to see a photo of that when it happens.

It'll be a while. Job One is getting back to close to 100% reliability. On my test drive just now, the brake booster vacuum hose split, probably from having sat for so long dry rotting, and my pushing it out of the way when I took the airbox and throttle body out to get radiator access.

I was able to nurse him back home, but those little buggers really won't stop with no vacuum boost and a massive air leak making the engine rev erratically.  B)

50 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It'll be a while. Job One is getting back to close to 100% reliability. On my test drive just now, the brake booster vacuum hose split, probably from having sat for so long dry rotting, and my pushing it out of the way when I took the airbox and throttle body out to get radiator access.

I was able to nurse him back home, but those little buggers really won't stop with no vacuum boost and a massive air leak making the engine rev erratically.  B)

Good luck with the project. Glad you got it home...