Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon 2'n'1

Matt T.

It's simple. That's how Revell always does it.

I think James is correct. What other series of kits from Revell has spawned a two distinct versions as modified versions of an earlier kit based on the same design work? There's a limited body to consider if we're talking coupe/sedan/wagon/pickup variants only, since almost all muscle and sports car had only one variant in real life, that eliminates the bulk of Revell's lineup. '48 Fords? Nope. Tri-Five Chevies? Not when we rule out any CA Wheels-type modified reissues which almost always differ by the inclusion of new wheels, tires and decals only. '66 Chevelle/El Camino? No, just one version of each was released.

Maybe the fact that Revell provided early test shots of the '50 Olds sedan to Tom Coolidge to allow him to get a jump start on mastering a resin '50 Olds Sedan (fastback) body was a pretty good indicator they had no plans to release a second, distinct version of the Coupe themselves.

I think James is correct. What other series of kits from Revell has spawned a two distinct versions as modified versions of an earlier kit based on the same design work? There's a limited body to consider if we're talking coupe/sedan/wagon/pickup variants only, since almost all muscle and sports car had only one variant in real life, that eliminates the bulk of Revell's lineup. '48 Fords? Nope. Tri-Five Chevies? Not when we rule out any CA Wheels-type modified reissues which almost always differ by the inclusion of new wheels, tires and decals only. '66 Chevelle/El Camino? No, just one version of each was released.

Maybe the fact that Revell provided early test shots of the '50 Olds sedan to Tom Coolidge to allow him to get a jump start on mastering a resin '50 Olds Sedan (fastback) body was a pretty good indicator they had no plans to release a second, distinct version of the Coupe themselves.

Revell, going all the way back to when it was Monogram Models in Morton Grove IL and Revell Inc. in Venice CA, carries a long tradition of multiple versions of a great many model car subjects--in fact I was told, over 30 years ago, that Monogram almost always, with a significant car subject, at least designed two versions of a car (even their aircraft kits saw that as well). In order for this sort of multiple versions of a basic model kit tool to happen, it's almost imperative (and certainly less expensive) to do that next version IF the original kit was designed, and the tooling laid out with such in mind.

I don't believe it's out of the question that Revell has at least one, possibly two more variants on the Del Rio--but I somehow don't see any further seriously different versions of '57 Fords based on the shorter wheelbase sedan/wagon chassis--4dr sedans and 4-dr station wagons might excite a portion of the model car market, but it seems to me that a 4dr body style has 2 too many doors for most modelers--yeah, I know, there are vocal car builders out there who would be tickled pink, but how many kits would they really sell if they did them?).

Art

I must say that I am building the Model King Police version and am enjoying it. This wagon version really excites me and I will buy one for sure and maybe a second.

Also I must ask. Does the Model King issue count as a Revell issue? Don't they buy base kits from manufacturers ( Revell in this case). Add new decals, instructions, new box and maybe a few extra parts. Police parts in this issue. Does Model King own the police parts tooling or does Revell?

To me that is like saying a Lingenfelter Corvette is made by Chevy. When they take a Chevy Corvette and add Lingenfelter parts to make it what it is. But I know GM does not make those parts.

If Revell made the police parts then why sell it to Model King and limit its sales and distribution?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to see a 4-door. But, I'd want it to be a Custom 300, rather than the plain Custom the 2-door is.

Scott

Personally, I'd like the Custom because I can build some police cars, but the Custom 300 is a nice-looking car.

I think what would be the solution (and I'm a little disappointed they didn't do it here) would be to mold the trim as separate parts with blind knock-outs.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this one. We need more wagons and this will fit the bill very nicely.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also I must ask. Does the Model King issue count as a Revell issue? Don't they buy base kits from manufacturers ( Revell in this case). Add new decals, instructions, new box and maybe a few extra parts. Police parts in this issue. Does Model King own the police parts tooling or does Revell?

If Revell made the police parts then why sell it to Model King and limit its sales and distribution?

Since Round 2 stopped doing private issues for entities like Model King, Dave has started doing the same with other manufacturers. Dave knows most everyone in the industry, so he struck a deal with Ed Sexton to do some Revell releases. The '57 Ford Police car isn't the first, there is a bunch of Revell / Model King kits prior to this, older reissues that we hadn't seen in a while.

Dave contracts with Revell to produce the turn key product. Dave pays to have the additional tooling done, such as the tree of police accessories. Dave has his own artist do the decal sheet and box art. Revell probably does the instruction sheet changes. Revell has it's Chinese contractor produce the whole thing in sealed boxes, so Dave never deals with putting parts in boxes. Then they ship the bulk of the order to Dave's warehouse. They do drop ship some of them to distributors on Dave's behalf. Dave has a whole list of resellers in the hobby who buy and sell his kits. So most of them go to the hard core builders like us, rather than to the mass market.

Why would Revell do these releases? Simply put, it's additional guaranteed sales off the tool. In an era where they may be able to sell 10-20,000 of a new release, and someone is offering to buy a few thousand.. well, money talks!

I haven't asked Dave if he's planning on a release of this kit.

I haven't asked Dave if he's planning on a release of this kit.

I don't know if Dave is doing it, but the Revell info indicates a police version also. Don't know if it's planned as a 2-n-1 or a subsequent, stand alone release. I saw a test shot that showed the same 'police parts' (unfortunately) on the wagon as were in the MK sedan police kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well don't hold your breath for a March release date for this 57 Ford Del reo I just looked at tower hobbies which belongs to Revell that the release date is now for July of this year. so we will have to waite a few months longer for the kit to come out and it will be a 2 in 1 kit the other version is the police wagon also the pic I seen there had two models on the box cover and it will from the car show series if I remember right.I just checked the tower hobbies site and it is now a late june release date not July .

Edited by IMPALASS89