Model Cars Magazine Forum

Arrangements for the inevitable

What about grails we all have for other people? I've got a dumpload of rare grails, and it seems dumb to trash them when they'd bring someone a lot of happiness. Yes, we're dead, but wasn't the hunt great? Collection buyer good idea, a couple I know are aware, but a lot of what we buy/bought on 'bay, swaps belonged to dead guys. Guess I look at it as making someone else happy, leaving world a ittle better. Or, OTOH, I'm FOS :unsure:

I have a couple that will go to relatives and the rest I've asked my wife to donate to a museum. Like Mark, it pains me to see great work just tossed into a trash can......

I'm sure you do good stuff, but one man's treasure is another man's garbage. We have a pretty good air museum. Among the displays are a couple cases loaded with more pathic glue bombs than should be in public view. I'm sure whoever did them was proud of them, died, willed them to the museum and to be sympathetic to the family's wishes the museum displays them. There may be benefactor/membership money involved, or he may have been an honored volunteer.

Same goes for our county museum. People die and dump their treasures onto the museum with expectations that everybody else will value their junk as much as they did. Donating your stuff to a museum is simply passing a problem onto them until your models get so abused they get trashed 15-years later unless you have a personal connection to the museum or you're a significant community figure.

Your models will never be more treasured than by other modelers. I'd say keep them in the modeling community.

..... Or, OTOH, I'm FOS :unsure:

i really don't think you are. and i'd like to take the opportunity to say i hope things turn around for you in a positive manner soon.

if the Forum can have a pinned thread with resin/ aftermarket suppliers, why not a list of hobby groups that would accept donations? forum members send in the contact information, everyone prints the list and thumbtacks it to the bulletin board in their hobby room.

this doesn't necessarily have to be used in the event of eventual demise, but through life interests change. it's a way of keeping stuff where it belongs and with people who will use it.

I haven't discussed it with my wife, but @ some point I will just let her know to go ahead & either have the kids, or she can go ahead, & sell them on ebay or something. I figure I'll let the next guy recycle them, re-build them to his liking or what ever. Maybe the next generation of builders can enjoy them like I have. Steve

It took nearly three years to dispose of my friends collection, via ebay, kit shows and to fellow builders. We still have tons of books and magazines!

This is one of the examples I used in my post on the subject. I didn't know it took three years. I do know it was a lot of work on your part and others. It really put a burden on you and the family. The other was a certain builder who went into a care facility but build for a museum. Still hard to get rid of his stuff.

Edited by Pete J.

This is one of the examples I used in my post on the subject. I didn't know it took three years. I do know it was a lot of work on your part and others. It really put a burden on you and the family. The other was a certain builder who went into a care facility but build for a museum. Still hard to get rid of his stuff.

I don't think I'd bother with anything modern, but the old annuals & such could bring some pretty good money back to the family. Steve

I had this discussion with my wife a few years ago. I told her to keep what she wants (she used to build, and talks about getting back into it), let our kids have what they want (they build sometimes), and try to sell the rest. I won't be around to care about sentimental value, but I asked her not to just throw things out if she or our family can get something out of them.

Edited by Danny Lectro

After finding out in Boxing Day I have liver cancer I've had to make arrangements to sort through my stuff. I had major surgery two weeks ago and before I went in I told my wife what was to happen to my models and added it to my will. My collection of van models, van memorabilia and full size vans go to my two sons, my wife wants to keep my built models and anything not van related I told the wife to sell off or keep for the boys it's her choice. It's something everyone should think about, anyone that has a huge collection of unbuilt kits should consider thinning them out before they go I think that way your family won't have to deal with it or get ripped off when they sell them. No one lives forever and after being told I've got cancer I can't see the need to have 500 unbuilt kits I'll never live long enough to build, think of your family and make some dollars to put into something more useful.

Hmm...<gears turning> What about a non-profit museum to accept donations or purchase these collections at low cost for display? Isn't there a model car museum that does something like this? If it's non-profit, all one would need would be an LLC setup and storage space. Memberships could cover the utilities and storage, etc....Hmm....maybe this has been done before?

After finding out in Boxing Day I have liver cancer I've had to make arrangements to sort through my stuff. I had major surgery two weeks ago and before I went in I told my wife what was to happen to my models and added it to my will. My collection of van models, van memorabilia and full size vans go to my two sons, my wife wants to keep my built models and anything not van related I told the wife to sell off or keep for the boys it's her choice. It's something everyone should think about, anyone that has a huge collection of unbuilt kits should consider thinning them out before they go I think that way your family won't have to deal with it or get ripped off when they sell them. No one lives forever and after being told I've got cancer I can't see the need to have 500 unbuilt kits I'll never live long enough to build, think of your family and make some dollars to put into something more useful.

I'm really sorry for what you face. You're right, and it's just another thing to cope with as you face much greater issues. Leaving family especially kids is awful. Please know you and family are in our thoughts and prayers. Recover from your surgery, and I hope it is an early stage, no mets, and treatment responsive. Please PM me anytime, have been there with wife and now me. All the best for all of you. You can do it.

Lee

Interesting topic, I have a certain model in my will, I have also spent the last 3 years helping dispose of a collection that has sat in a basement for 20 years as the widow just couldn't move herself to disturb her husbands hobby. I also had to deal with the loss of my mother years ago and had planned in advanced for my brother to video tape her giving her gifts prior to her death which would have made the proportioning so much easier and a gift from the future to cherish as knowing the gift was from her heart, but my brother did not do it.

So use the boy scout motto = Be Prepared

greg

Hmm...<gears turning> What about a non-profit museum to accept donations or purchase these collections at low cost for display? Isn't there a model car museum that does something like this? If it's non-profit, all one would need would be an LLC setup and storage space. Memberships could cover the utilities and storage, etc....Hmm....maybe this has been done before?

Yes there is a museum (in Salt Lake City I believe is the location) and I think they take donations. Built or unbuilt , if they dot need it they may sell it to pay the bills. They do only need s many copies of the same kit but they can keep the best copy or combine two different kits.

Not a bad idea to send it to them but with a big collection it may be pricey to ship.

Yes there is a museum (in Salt Lake City I believe is the location) and I think they take donations. Built or unbuilt , if they dot need it they may sell it to pay the bills. They do only need s many copies of the same kit but they can keep the best copy or combine two different kits.

Not a bad idea to send it to them but with a big collection it may be pricey to ship.

The International Scale Model Builders Museum is small and has a focus on collecting famous old builds from our history. It isn't a place that has one of every kit ever produced. The collection they have built is amazing and certainly worth seeing.

Donations they don't need get auctioned off at their show every two years. The crowd is very small, and since most of us have flown there, the ability to buy is reduced greatly. Thus, stuff sells for very little money.

The International Scale Model Builders Museum is small and has a focus on collecting famous old builds from our history. It isn't a place that has one of every kit ever produced. The collection they have built is amazing and certainly worth seeing.

Donations they don't need get auctioned off at their show every two years. The crowd is very small, and since most of us have flown there, the ability to buy is reduced greatly. Thus, stuff sells for very little money.

Thank you for the info Tom. What you have stated is what I was thinking but I though they displayed old kits also. So if you go to the show find out the closest shipper.

It is a good idea no tell someone what to do with all your hobbies. My sisters have a plan, it is a big black plastic bag for anything they do not want . Watched this as they went through my late brothers stuff. Nothing personal to them they just wanted it all gone.

My neighbor died and in 2 day his wife threw all his clothes and shoes in the trash. Everyone deals with grief in their own way but that was cold I thought. He was a great man and worked so hard. I still miss him...