Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's Style 1950 Ford Showrod Truck

Thanks James! I'm still working out the kinks in the styling but the last picture makes me feel like I am at least on the right track. I think with a tubular bumper the front will come together, currently i cant stand the headlights being the furthest thing out.

I am finding it hard to dance the fine line between pretty and vintage custom..Let's face it, a lot of these vehicles really werent "pretty"... but... i still love all of them. Its just a type of over the top design thats pulling me out of my comfort zone, I am enjoying the challenge.

Hey Eric - I've done a couple pin head grills and found the easiest way is to run a short piece of telephone wire insulation onto the pin, push it through some fine mesh already cut to size and installed. Put another piece of telephone insulation on the back side and hit it with some CA glue.

100_3922.jpg

100_3919.jpg

Thank you Jim! That helps a bunch... I just ordered the MCG offset circle photoetched grille material, and I have 2 types of pins, round and oval head... So hopefully I can make something out of all that.

I managed to get the rear end filled yesterday, just one more side to go and I can get some primer on this bad boy. I decided to use high build 2 part automotive primer on this since there isnt much body detail left, so once thats on and sanded i will have to add all the detail back in (trim, bone lines, etc.)

I admire your putty throwing. I know how time consuming it is to sand and shape in those tight, recessed areas. I"m still trying to get on board with the door character line, but as you said, over the top isn't always pretty but it's true vintage. Fantastic craftsmanship and perseverance. Please keep going.

Please keep going.

Thank you mike, im trying....

The body work is about 95% complete, so I decided to focus the last few days on wraping up the loose ends on the chassis.

Upon test fitting the body and frame after the grille opening was cut out, i realized i had a minor issue with the frame.

F09FF9B6-9ACD-4477-B9CE-AC16633B3E81.jpg

I droped the front frame ears downward and rebuilt that area, then added the radiator and core support from the 59 caddy kit.

9D489C7C-77EA-4833-A390-C3A3C1932A5C.jpg

Then scratch built some body mounts

346F64A2-72B8-4FD8-8D7D-A00B7527BC28.jpg

much better..

6F9F3A5C-7EAB-46B1-AE7F-CB62A244626A.jpg

67F12071-EBAD-463B-8F42-1262818E3608.jpg

Skinned everything with .010 styrene, and made air diverters to seal up the sides

95524DFA-0701-44B8-A7E3-E112BE2EA03F.jpg

Shocks and shock mounts added.

FE85138E-CC8E-42A0-A928-10B79DA8A476.jpg

0D59A41B-E3DB-4187-8A56-373F0AFE2C95_1.j

Then steering box and linkage

00B1716C-5B86-4FCD-BF67-5602DD6B1C52.jpg

Tonights goal = motor mounts and master cylinder.

Edited by Impalow

Beautiful, beautiful work! Very nice.

If I may, the only thing that seems out of sync, style-wise, to me, is the windshield frame. For such a kustom truck the stock window sticking up takes away from all that great swoopiness. Have you considered a low wraparound, or maybe a '55-'57 T-bird surround?

Either way, superb work.

Thank you Matthew! Im still thinking about the windsheild, I like your suggestion... a wrap around sounds really interesting. I want to try and keep some of the truck character, but that could really look great.

Thank you for the kind words Christopher!

Welp boys and girls... this was fun.. :blink: moving on to the fuel tank next.

28E6CF2A-FD29-44DF-BDA2-FBD05BFA2E5A.jpg

700154A3-DF15-4D39-9E85-C3196B59BB47.jpg

This is absolutely stunning!I really like seeing your design sketches on display as well.It's obvious that you are a gluton for punishment by subjecting yourself to all that sanding.

So refreshing to see a builder scratch building almost everything needed to create a great model.Hand this man an Exacto knife and a pile of styrene and get out of his way!

Thank you all for the intrest in this project! Progress has been a little slow this past week, mostly due to my own laziness.

However, I managed to build the fuel tank last night, I think it is about 18-20 seperate little pieces of styrene in there. On a good note, I am a few body mounts away from calling this frame fabrication done. After that is complete I am going to shift my focus onto the engine and headers. Since the interior is my favorite part, im going to try and save that till last... if i can help myself.

8DAF3507-C4CB-4968-BFBC-A73BFB2873E0.jpg

9D59B1BF-DBF2-4FF1-ADF0-9E857B40EB13.jpg

067403D6-0465-429C-938C-B88A7BEC8CDE.jpg

And boom... Engine shop opens tomorrow night

F67CF414-C4D2-40A4-BCC9-945FD74AB4EC.jpg

Edited by Impalow