410 replies to this topic

#61 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

I know the connection and all(ownership wise), but who deemed Tower Hobbies as the be all and end all of release dates?

I don't think anybody did-- and I sure didn't. Just trying to head off the inevitable "When is this kit coming out? They anounced it last October!! It's been over a year!!" questions.

It's nothing against anyone here, the over-trusting of T.H. is rampant across several message boards I frequent. I guess I can appreciate the ballpark guesstimate nature,

I don't have blind faith in any "announced" release date, but I don't worry over when a kit is going to arrive. It'll be here when it gets here, and I think that's all these dates should be used as- estimates.

#62 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:59 AM

While I would "like" a '50 Olds and a '57 Ford, I'm not waiting for them as having them or not won't dhange my life one bit. I have plenty of un-built kits in my stash to keep me happy.

#63 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

It doesn't matter to me when they release this kit as long as they do in fact release it. I rarely buy new kits as soon as they hit the shelves anyway. There are several new releases that I still haven't bought yet. Some of them I have no intentions of ever buying. I just recently bought the Gremlin kit and it's been out how long now? Before forums/websites devoted to the hobby, most of us didn't know about a new kit until it hit the shelves anyway. At least the kit companies are letting us know about new kits that are coming out.

#64 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

watch the Discovery Channel show "Fast & Loud" for ideas for the 50 Olds kit...

#65 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

Before forums/websites devoted to the hobby, most of us didn't know about a new kit until it hit the shelves anyway. At least the kit companies are letting us know about new kits that are coming out.

Well yes and no. It depending how connected you chose to be. AMT during the late 80's/early 90's brought "The Blueprinter" back out, which was a direct pipeline of kit announcements from AMT/Ertl & MPC. I still get a chuckle when I find one of those subscription cards in kits of that vintage I find still factory sealed, since most everyone pitched them as soon as they opened the kits.

The Chicago Hobby Show (iHobby now, RCHTA back then) and New York Hobby Show both still existed and laid out future releases. SA(E) used to offer coverage of the show news. Back before all the things that befell Tom Carter and imploded Hobby Heaven (Spotlight Hobbies now-a-days), he offered a pretty substantial print catalog which had ballpark release dates of new kits in it as well.

#66 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

As far as Revell release dates, I find about the only reliable resource to be Revell's website (New Products tab) which shows the announcements for the current month (which usually means they will be out the last week of the current month at their preferred partner dealers and early in the next month elsewhere).

http://www.revell.com/new.html

Edited by Rob Hall, 01 June 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#67 Harold

Harold

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Full Name:Harold Palmer

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

I see the Olds with the fastback roof from the '51 Chevy with rear fenders from a contemporary Cadillac. Nix the emblems and door handles, keep the stock trim and lower it just a tick. Add wheels and tires to taste.

#68 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Just seem to talk forever to see the new kits hit the shelf anymore. I must be getting old ! LOL
I can understand the many things that hold up a kit ,money ,run time in the machine , art work , packaging , the forever changes to the molds , shipping time form across the pond and the manufacture approval of the subject.

#69 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

I'd rather see a release date come and go, if the kit is well done, than to see it releaased on time and be sub par.

#70 camaroman

camaroman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn P. Nunnally

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

I'd rather see a release date come and go, if the kit is well done, than to see it releaased on time and be sub par.

I think Lee is right on with his statement. Moebius did the right thing with the Hudson and It appears to be a hit!! I have not started either one of mine yet but it sure looks like a great kit "dry built"!
I would rather wait for a better kit!!!

Edited by camaroman, 02 June 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#71 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

watched Fast & Loud last night, they did a great job on the 50 Olds sedan...sort of a "rusto-rod" that would please Dr. Cranky I think

Edited by thatz4u, 14 June 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#72 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Is there any photos around of the tooling or box? I'm wondering which body style they are doing.

#73 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Is there any photos around of the tooling or box? I'm wondering which body style they are doing.

http://www.modelcars...po-quick-look-0

#74 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

Thanks Rob, I missed that! Man, thaose kits look beautiful! Probably a good run for the money against Mobius's Hudson and Chrysler. I wish tho that the pics could be enlarged.

#75 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

Just seem to talk forever to see the new kits hit the shelf anymore. I must be getting old ! LOL
I can understand the many things that hold up a kit ,money ,run time in the machine , art work , packaging , the forever changes to the molds , shipping time form across the pond and the manufacture approval of the subject.

New kits? It takes me forever to get a kit out of my stash, build it, and put it on the shelf. So I'm not in ANY hurry for any new kits to hit the shelves as they'll only get thrown on the "pile."

#76 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

I wish tho that the pics could be enlarged.

See post #12 in this topic. ;)

#77 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

New kits? It takes me forever to get a kit out of my stash, build it, and put it on the shelf. So I'm not in ANY hurry for any new kits to hit the shelves as they'll only get thrown on the "pile."

That's a good point Nick , same old same old here also. LOL

#78 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Waiting? I have SO many kits to build that I don't need to wait for ANY kit ever.

LMBO! Yeah...and at the rate I build (or rather,I should call it THINK about building),I'll never catch up :P

(sorry,just saw this,LOL :D :lol: )

#79 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

It doesn't matter to me when they release this kit as long as they do in fact release it. I rarely buy new kits as soon as they hit the shelves anyway. There are several new releases that I still haven't bought yet. Some of them I have no intentions of ever buying. I just recently bought the Gremlin kit and it's been out how long now? Before forums/websites devoted to the hobby, most of us didn't know about a new kit until it hit the shelves anyway. At least the kit companies are letting us know about new kits that are coming out.

I'm one of those that just has to have that "new" kit as soon as it hits the LHS shelf, only to put it back for later,(most of them from the past decade have yet to be started) only to find it less than a month later at Kmart or on Ebay for a couple of dollars less. Think I'll ever learn? Nah, not me,, to old & stubborn, besides, the first time I wait, it will go out of stock, not be released again for at least a decade & all other sources will want at least one arm, one reproductive organ, (left) & an option on the next grandchild.

Edited by horsepower, 21 June 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#80 rickcaps55

rickcaps55

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

Heee Haaa I was just on the Modelroundup site and pre-ordered the new Revell 50 Olds I ordered 4 of them the out date is frist part of October he is takking pre orders now.This is the frist all new tool in a long time and the frist 50,s Olds in a long time I cat wate tell one of the top Resin people gets ahold of it and does a nice chop top hint hint someone any one.