Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell AG McLaren 570s

martinfan5

Revell's argument was that they wanted to go for a car that more people were likely to see around the place. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to discover that perhaps the kind folks that licensed them to do a LaFerrari and a 918 were quite happy not to see a model of their main rival on the same shelves. Equally, as the first Mclaren licensed product, maybe McLaren wanted their VERY latest product kitted... and especially from that angle, it's also a very pure expression of Mclaren's design essence.

bestest,

M. 

Edited by Matt Bacon

Personally I like this, a lot. I'd like to see the P1 too, but as stated above, its production run is over, McLaren would want a new kit out there and if it sells well, maybe they'll license the P1......here's hoping.

I think the tires look like Revell's general fair....poor, too tall of a profile and too skinny. Hard to say for sure but I'm betting I'm right.

I agree, with 105 parts, most likely an engine or most of it, but I bet like the 918 they do a 1 or 2 piece body with no opening hatch, which is a failure imo.

Hopefully Plamoz with do corrected scale wheel set for this like they did for the i8 and 918, or someone else out there. I'm actually sort of surprised that no aftermarket company, like HD or Plamoz is doing current tires for aftermarket upgrades for some of these new kits. I'm sure they'd sell well.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have to pick up atleast 2 of these kits so I can have a road version then do a conversion to a GT racer on the other, cause McLaren's look great in race trim.

David

I think the tires look like Revell's general fair....poor, too tall of a profile and too skinny. Hard to say for sure but I'm betting I'm right.

That's not actually Revell's problem. They always have the tire profile bang on. Their issue is the size of the wheels, which don't include the bead rim. But the ratio of tire width to wall height is always correct on their recent kits -- they just need to get the rim size big enough.

As an aside, the recently released Hobby Design Pirelli 20" Corsas are WAAAYY too low-profile. The compliance of the sidewall is part of what makes tyres work with the suspension set-up of the car. If you are a crazy tooner whose car will never be driven anywhere except off the trailer, then rubber bands are OK. but anything less than 30% isn't going to work on a driveable supercar...

bestest,

M

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...