Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

22 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I haven't seen anybody else mention the AMT "Showroom Replica" kits.  The Ollie's closest to me had stacks of them:  the '05 Chrysler 300c, '09 Corvette, '10 Camaro etc. They have a "Showroom Replicas" logo in one corner of the boxtop. Pic below.

I'd never heard of these kits before I saw them in Ollie's.  According to the Round 2 website, they're unassembled promos: "Since then, several all new kits, based on modern muscle cars have been released in AMT’s 'Showroom Replicas' series. These kits harken back to the days of the aforementioned promotional models and really show how the brand has come full circle."

These wouldn't be worth $9.99 to me.  I don't have much interest in late-model cars anyway and they wouldn't seem to have many useful parts to steal. 

amtamt742.jpg

These do build up nicely and fairly easy. I get the subject might not be of interest to you but there could be some young modelers who do find them attractive. I like using the wheels and tires out of kits like this to give an updated look to an older vehicle.

12 hours ago, JimC said:

I picked up that GTO today. I didn’t realize how de-contented it was though. The chrome tree is broken into 3 difference pieces containing only the stock engine parts(several of which shouldn’t even be chromed), various body trim parts and two sets of wheels. Another bag contains about 30 parts for the chassis and interior. Seems like it would take more effort to remove the parts than the .30 cents in plastic saved would warrant. Glad I only paid $9.99

Yea, I didn’t know anything about those particular kits they had, so instead of buying something I wouldn’t build, I just passed.

I’ll  be checking back to see if any Revell kits make it to the shelves. Last time they had models, I bought a couple of 55 Chevy pro sportsman kits, some 64 Dodge max wedge kits,  and a few other really nice kits. 

Fingers crossed. 

7 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I opened the GTO to see what the fuss was about. Kinda a mess.....not R2 top effort.  Chassis is to long and chassis screw holes are in wrong place.....

should have passed. 

Yep. I opened mine after reading you post and nothing seems to line up. I wonder if the chassis mold was for another kit. Seeing I'm not a master builder it will most like be a curbside build if anything.  

9 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

These do build up nicely and fairly easy. I get the subject might not be of interest to you but there could be some young modelers who do find them attractive. I like using the wheels and tires out of kits like this to give an updated look to an older vehicle.

I got some of these at Hobby Lobby with their last mark down. Haven't opened any of them yet.

21 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Out of 2 Ollies stores. Colonie and Glens Falls and I only found 1 auto kit. The GTO. Was hoping for the 1950 ford they showed in the flyer. But lots of planes and boats if that's what you are looking for. 

What, you didn’t want that Lindberg skeletal human foot model from the Colonie store? LOL

Disappointing model selection, for sure. The 1/64 diecast selection is nice though. I grabbed a few Auto World cars yesterday. 

Edited by Matt T.

2 minutes ago, Matt T. said:

What, you didn’t want that Lindberg skeletal human foot model from the Colonie store? LOL

Disappointing model selection, for sure. The 1/64 diecast selection is nice though. I grabbed a few Auto World cars yesterday. 

Yes! If you collect Johnny Lightning and Auto World diecast. A really great selection at both stores. We might have passed each other in the store! Too funny. I did spot the GTO.  But save your money. The body and chassis do not line up. And if you position the axles to line up with the wheel opening. The chassis sticks way out the back of the body and I don't know if the motor area will work. Might have to turn it into a diorama wreak. LOL.

Stopped by the Merrillville, IN store today on my way home from work.  Picked up an '06 Chrysler 300 and the '49 Mercury Snap Police.  Had probably about 15 of each.

Probably had about 15 of the 2006 Camaro concept car.  No interest in that since it wasn't the production version.

Also had 2 of the AMT-branded (MPC) '69 Charger Daytonas, and some of the non-automotive Lindberg non-sense.

I believe this would be the closest Ollies to the Chicago south suburbs, if anyone on that side of the border is considering an outing.  The Hobart Hobby Lobby is a minute down the road, to make the trip more worthwhile.

Was at the Ollie's on Airport Road Allentown, Pa. They got the AMT modern cars in : C6 Corvette convertible and coupe (2009?), 2010 Camaro SS, Chrysler 300 ( 2005?). Also had the AMT '55 Corvette. I got 1 of those. Still had the Lindberg '37 Ford Roadster hot rod,  but all the other car stuff they had before was gone. Still had a bunch of Lindberg planes, boats and military. The one on Tilghman Street had the Lindberg '37 Ford,  AMT Datsun 280 Z and Der Beetle Bus. Also the same tons of Lindberg planes. boats, military.

The Ollie's in Mattews NC has the Kenworth and IH trucks, the chrome Texaco tanker, the 72 GTO, Der Beetle bus, a few 05 300C's, a couple different modern Corvettes, and a snap MPC 49 Merc police car along with a few odds and ends still left over from other sales.

Stopped by the Olies in North Olmstead, OH. again yesterday afternoon.  Still NOT worth the time. They have moved the display of Lindburg boats and skeletal foot models from the end cap to the isle shelf spread amongst the rest of the toys.   I wish the Olies near me had more of the cars and trucks others are finding.

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The Ollie's in Mattews NC has the Kenworth and IH trucks, the chrome Texaco tanker, the 72 GTO, Der Beetle bus, a few 05 300C's, a couple different modern Corvettes, and a snap MPC 49 Merc police car along with a few odds and ends still left over from other sales.

Really? I was there on Saturday and all they had was a pallet near the toys with the Corvettes, Camaros and 300C's

17 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

That explains it! I will have to try again when I get back home this weekend. Might have to  get a IH 4300!

From what I could tell that's the truck kit they had the most of. I want a few more myself if they stick around until next week. The IH kits have the best modern ringless 10 holes AMT offered.

I picked these up today in Colonie NY.  They also had a 2010 Corvette coupe. No trucks but did have the chrome tanker. I've been looking for the 1950 Ford convertible that was shown in the flyer but no luck. I will say this store has a huge pile of unpacked boxes that haven't really been touched in 2 weeks. Seems the few employees they have there would rather stand around and chat. No wonder they have a help needed sign out front. 

image1.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo