Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Box Art

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Another truthful representation of a horribly misshapen mess of a model. The box-art kept me from ever spending a nickel on this pile, too.

Can you say "Palmer" kiddies?      Image result for Monogram 69 Camaro

Image result for Monogram 69 Camaro

But in the Sad Seventies and Ehhh Eighties, that--and the backbirth MPC--were all we had to work with for a '69 Camaro. It's debatable as to which is worse. (I've built three of one and five of the other.) 

Thank You God for the Revell '69 Camaro. 

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

But in the Sad Seventies and Ehhh Eighties, that--and the backbirth MPC--were all we had to work with for a '69 Camaro. It's debatable as to which is worse. (I've built three of one and five of the other.) 

Thank You God for the Revell '69 Camaro. 

While I'm not a "pony car" type of guy, that Monogram kit of the Camaro was terrible to say the least.

This one was posted back in 2012 by Casey, on this very board.  The extremely rare AMT-FROG kit of the '68 Ford Galaxie, released by FROG in the UK.  FROG also released an AMT '68 Corvette.

The funniest part is the sign in the background spelling out "DAYTONA," but the Galaxie is racing on a dirt track.

FORD121.jpg

19 hours ago, Can-Con said:

You got that right. I guess someone thought this pic would sell the model?  ,,Um,, model of exactly what now? car in foreground?, car in background, loader that seems to be featured in the picture??

Related image

With this one, it's like they pulled someone off the street that had used Photoshop a couple of times. "You know what's missing? A dog!"

17 hours ago, mk11 said:

truth in advertising ...   :blink:  how did they sell any of these?

amt64mst.jpg

64amtmtg.jpg

Dunno what happened when that kit was designed, the windshield lays down too much (like a modern car) and cuts into the dimensions of the vent windows; making them so small that they could be used on a 1/25th scale model kit. I had the lesney era copy of this kit, but sold it, after looking at the body....

2 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Dunno what happened when that kit was designed, the windshield lays down too much (like a modern car) and cuts into the dimensions of the vent windows; making them so small that they could be used on a 1/25th scale model kit. I had the lesney era copy of this kit, but sold it, after looking at the body....

The front looks odd, like the headlights are too recessed or too small.  And the hubcaps stick out way too far, white walls are oversized, just a strange beast all around. 

37 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

With this one, it's like they pulled someone off the street that had used Photoshop a couple of times. "You know what's missing? A dog!"

That one did sell models as they're all gone and seem hard to find also. That release also had another box with maybe a drive in movie on the cover or? I never see these kits around anymore at swap meets and sold one of my '59 Imperial kits a few years back. Yep I did buy this kit for its contents.

20 minutes ago, High octane said:

That one did sell models as they're all gone and seem hard to find also. That release also had another box with maybe a drive in movie on the cover or? I never see these kits around anymore at swap meets and sold one of my '59 Imperial kits a few years back. Yep I did buy this kit for its contents.

I just sold a '59 Imperial on eBay. The sale ended Sunday 11/26.  The Imp was up for 2 weeks.  The first week I priced it at $39.99, close to the original retail price.  It didn't get a single bid.  Dropped the price to $29.99 for the second week.  It got 4 bids and finally sold for $46.00.  You just never know what will happen on eBay.

1 hour ago, High octane said:

I'd say it sold in spite of the box art.

1 hour ago, W-409 said:

Keep them coming guys! All I can do is laugh at some of those box arts :D!

This isn't very tempting either...

AMT-2801-2.jpg

This one was kitted in early 1978--when AMT Corporation was beginning to slide into oblivion,  and was done as a political joke--a poke if you will, at then-President Jimmy Carter.  It's right out of the same era (and almost simultaneously with Revell's "Billy Carter's Pickup" (which unfortunately didn't have a scale case of "Billy Carter Beer" (anyone remember those days?).    It's hard to believe (now or then) that as late as 1976,  AMT Corporation reported over $100 Million in sales (I have that Annual Report to Stockholders from back then, stashed away somewhere), but an awful lot of that was from industrial plastic molding they were doing, for any and all comers (still remember seeing pallets of unsold faux window shutter trim they were about to grind up for recycling into model car kits after the mobile home mfr they'd molded them for went belly up).

By the mid-70's, all the US model companies, save for Monogram, were on the skids to some extent or another.  The youngest of the Boomer Generation were reaching their teens and abandoning model kits for the real thing, older Boomers were trying to get established, and those of us who were born during WW-II were dealing with marriages, young families, careers and mortgage payments.  On the other side of the deck of cards, "consumerism" (fostered by Ralph Nader and his "Raiders") were everywhere.  The "stars" of the plastic model kit industry were no longer the model car manufacturers--but those companies who made successful steps into the world of military model kits (even AMT tried to break into that market with a series of 1/48 scale aircraft kits).  Within 18 months after "The Quarter Mile Smile", AMT Corporation was on the verge of bankruptcy, when Lesney, the maker of Matchbox Toys stepped in to buy them out--but even that went for naught by early 1982, when Lesney filed for Bankruptcy liquidation, Revell (after the passing of both the founders of that company) had passed away) into the French toymaker CEJI,  Hawk and IMC's model kit lines were acquired by the Testor Corporation,  Aurora had closed and liquidated (Monogram bought their tooling, wound up scrapping much of it for the very valuable alloy that Aurora used, "Beryllium Copper", in order to raise cash in late 1981 to save that company from bankruptcy.  MPC was, by then, a subsidiary of a subsidiary of General Mills,  "Fundimensions".   

It was not a fun time,  certainly not optimistic, for the US plastic model kit industry, nor for that matter, many of us who'd been building models (particularly model cars) for 2-3 decades.

Art

2 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

This one was kitted in early 1978--when AMT Corporation was beginning to slide into oblivion,  and was done as a political joke--a poke if you will, at then-President Jimmy Carter.  It's right out of the same era (and almost simultaneously with Revell's "Billy Carter's Pickup" (which unfortunately didn't have a scale case of "Billy Carter Beer" (anyone remember those days?).    It's hard to believe (now or then) that as late as 1976,  AMT Corporation reported over $100 Million in sales (I have that Annual Report to Stockholders from back then, stashed away somewhere), but an awful lot of that was from industrial plastic molding they were doing, for any and all comers (still remember seeing pallets of unsold faux window shutter trim they were about to grind up for recycling into model car kits after the mobile home mfr they'd molded them for went belly up).

By the mid-70's, all the US model companies, save for Monogram, were on the skids to some extent or another.  The youngest of the Boomer Generation were reaching their teens and abandoning model kits for the real thing, older Boomers were trying to get established, and those of us who were born during WW-II were dealing with marriages, young families, careers and mortgage payments.  On the other side of the deck of cards, "consumerism" (fostered by Ralph Nader and his "Raiders") were everywhere.  The "stars" of the plastic model kit industry were no longer the model car manufacturers--but those companies who made successful steps into the world of military model kits (even AMT tried to break into that market with a series of 1/48 scale aircraft kits).  Within 18 months after "The Quarter Mile Smile", AMT Corporation was on the verge of bankruptcy, when Lesney, the maker of Matchbox Toys stepped in to buy them out--but even that went for naught by early 1982, when Lesney filed for Bankruptcy liquidation, Revell (after the passing of both the founders of that company) had passed away) into the French toymaker CEJI,  Hawk and IMC's model kit lines were acquired by the Testor Corporation,  Aurora had closed and liquidated (Monogram bought their tooling, wound up scrapping much of it for the very valuable alloy that Aurora used, "Beryllium Copper", in order to raise cash in late 1981 to save that company from bankruptcy.  MPC was, by then, a subsidiary of a subsidiary of General Mills,  "Fundimensions".   

It was not a fun time,  certainly not optimistic, for the US plastic model kit industry, nor for that matter, many of us who'd been building models (particularly model cars) for 2-3 decades.

Art

Art,

I appreciate the look back you provided.  

Gary

23 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

The ONLY good thing about this art was that it meant another precious few '65 Olds kits went into circulation before the Modified Stocker series consumed the molds.

1965OldsmobileDynamic88T303-vi.jpg

I actually like this series a lot. The art work is so period and seems there are many political statements littered through them. 

I also like this PC dangerous series:

DF5B1A6D-B7AF-4EB4-BA95-48741C3BC317.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

Seems like the art you guys are posting is really old.
Today Ed at Revell/Monogram has had me very busy producing art and John at AMT/MPC is doing a fantastic job re-creating vintage art.
Mobius box art always inspires me, ALWAYS!  (Thanks Sean)
These days, the shelf at the hobby shop seems devoid of the crappy box art we suffered through in the 80's.  I love browsing through the model kits again.
Not sure what this thread has to offer.

P.S. If I forgot to mention an artist, sorry.
P.P.S. I loved the box on that MPC 1907 Lancaster!  Bought it and built it as shown with my paper route money. SO THERE!

180815-12155-pristine.jpgl

Another highlight. Image grabbed from the web.

I was always vary of kit boxes showing a photo of the real thing rather than the model inside. Sometimes a model company would use drawn art rather than a photography to avoid giving away the poor proportions or other issues with the model inside. But when the drawn image is equally bad one is left to wonder if maybe a photography would be better after all.

Edited by lysleder

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

I actually like this series a lot. The art work is so period and seems there are many political statements littered through them. 

I also like this PC dangerous series:

DF5B1A6D-B7AF-4EB4-BA95-48741C3BC317.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I have a '65 Riv called "Che Riviera." I am not making this up.