Model Cars Magazine Forum

'56 and '57. My favorite tri-fives

Lovefordgalaxie

Beautiful Tulio, I love them both but that '57 rocks. I always thought the Ford bested the Chevy in looks for '57. It's a shame it gets overshadowed by the homely Chevy. JMHO though. Great builds.B)

50 minutes ago, Geno said:

Beautiful Tulio, I love them both but that '57 rocks. I always thought the Ford bested the Chevy in looks for '57. It's a shame it gets overshadowed by the homely Chevy. JMHO though. Great builds.B)

The public apparently agreed as Ford outsold Chevy in '57.  Two more great replicas from your bench Tulio!

Túlio, absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

I'm partial to the '57 as well as that was pretty much a very important turning point for Ford. While the '56 was a very nice car, it was really just a carryover from the '55, and that was pretty much a rebody still on the original 1952 platform. '57 was a whole 'nuther kettle of fish though, and that would be short lived as it would live on only till '59.

Yes, the '59 was a one year deal style wise, but under the skin where it counts it was tied to the '57 in many ways.

1960? Man, that would be one VERY radical year for Ford! :D

1 minute ago, bbowser said:

The public apparently agreed as Ford outsold Chevy in '57.  Two more great replicas from your bench Tulio!

But for whatever reason you'll see 10 times the amount of '57 Chevys at a show, than you'll see Fords. Were they that hard to keep around ie: rust? Or did the public for whatever reason just latch on to Chevy due to "nostalgia"? Frankly, I'd take the Ford over the Chevy as for the time, it appeared more "advanced" while the Chevy still seemed upright and boxy dating back through the early '50's.

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I'm partial to the '57 as well as that was pretty much a very important turning point for Ford. While the '56 was a very nice car, it was really just a carryover from the '55, and that was pretty much a rebody still on the original 1952 platform. '57 was a whole 'nuther kettle of fish though, and that would be short lived as it would live on only till '59.

Yes, the '59 was a one year deal style wise, but under the skin where it counts it was tied to the '57 in many ways.

Actually the 57 frame lasted through 1964. It's been said Ford only had something like 10 different full sized frame revisions. The Model T, the Model A, the one year only 32, 33-34, 36-40, 41-48, 49-56, 57-64, 65-78, then the 79-up.

That said. I agree. Another gorgeous pair of builds from Tulio.

Thank you all gentlemen!!

Those two cars are not new builds, but I decided to take some pictures of the two cars together to show not only my two favorite '50s cars, but also a very important turning point for Ford. Those cars are right in the middle of a important transition point in engine design, when Ford replaced the Flathead V8 for the Y-Block V8. The '56 Ford is still very alike the '54 (the first OHV V8), and the '57 is not only the best looking car ever (IMHO) but also the pinnacle of development of my all time favorite V8, the Y-Block. In 1957 the Y defeated GM in every way possible, and set some very impressive Records as well!!  A list can be found on Charles R. Morris's book, "Ford Y-Block, a performance history".  

Even tough the Y is so fine, she can't sing as nicely as a Flathead. Uncle Henry's small cheap mass produced V8 has a throat of gold. Every so often I drive a Flathead V8 car, and that is the V8 engine sound reference in my mind. The second best? The Y!!! Take a 292, dual exhaust, and two glasspacks, and bingo!!

23 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Those look great.. what did you paint the bodies with?  They have perfect, mirror finishes.

I use automotive enamel, airbrushed with a Badger 350. No clear coat, no fancy modern paints. 

6 hours ago, Geno said:

Agreed. I just LOVE the '57 Ford. The '57 Chevy was kind of a mini Cadillac in looks, and is a very sharp car that I wouldn't mind a bit having in 1:1 form, but if I had to choose, I would choose the Fairlane 500 (no base model, please) Town Sedan in Inca Gold and Colonial White, with a F code 312. 

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

But for whatever reason you'll see 10 times the amount of '57 Chevys at a show, than you'll see Fords. Were they that hard to keep around ie: rust? Or did the public for whatever reason just latch on to Chevy due to "nostalgia"? Frankly, I'd take the Ford over the Chevy as for the time, it appeared more "advanced" while the Chevy still seemed upright and boxy dating back through the early '50's.

Mainstream media and the Chevy Small Block V8 are the "culprit" for this. Fords and Chevrolets torn to swiss cheese pretty much alike in the rust belt. Of course Mopars do that in any belt, LOL!!! Kidding aside, what I see here in Brasil at car shows, and on restoration businesses is that GM and Ford are quite resistant to rusting. We don't have snow, and salt on the roads, so those cars hold up pretty well. 

The '60 Ford was the widest car ever manufactured by the company. Very interesting piece of trivia. 

5 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Splendid work! (As always.)

Apart from excellent paint and everything else, the chrome looks really good. Did you re-chrome the bumpers with Molotow?

No, not really. I sanded the mold lines away, and used foil to patch the chrome. I use the Molotow pen just for small touch ups, and stuff like window cranks, dash details, horn rings, and related stuff. 

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

Actually the 57 frame lasted through 1964. It's been said Ford only had something like 10 different full sized frame revisions. The Model T, the Model A, the one year only 32, 33-34, 36-40, 41-48, 49-56, 57-64, 65-78, then the 79-up.

Thanks Dave!! Here the '57-'64 frame is known as whale frame, due to the "belly" on the sides. The new for '65 frame, with the four torque boxes, gives the most impressive ride on a big heavy Galaxie. I drive one daily. 

7 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Yup! I knew about the frame, but I was talking more about the cowl and inner fenders that were shared from ‘57-‘59......at least that appears the case to me. The styling changed so much in those years however, that your car was “old” within a model year! ☺️