Model Cars Magazine Forum

This HAS to be THE crapiest box art EVER!!!!

I always thought this was a pretty poor idea. 

Good box art should at least highlight an image of the car or model that's in the box. This is just a confusing mish-mash of poor photoshopped images.

I do get that they were trying to get across the idea that they were bringing the kit back from the dead but if you didn't know already what the Imperial looked like that image ain't gonna help you any.  Is it a kit of the car in front? a kit of the car on the loader? the loader itself maybe??

Boxart '59 Chrysler Imperial 21567 AMT/ERTL

The second go-around was much much better.

Image result for amt 1959 imperial

Edited by Can-Con

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

Good box art should at least highlight an image of the car or model that's in the box. This is just a confusing mish-mash of poor photoshopped images.

I do get that they were trying to get across the idea that they were bringing the kit back from the dead but if you didn't know already what the Imperial looked like that image ain't gonna help you any.  Is it a kit of the car in front? a kit of the car on the loader? the loader itself maybe??

Boxart '59 Chrysler Imperial 21567 AMT/ERTL

The second go-around was much much better.

Image result for amt 1959 imperial

image.jpeg

I agree too!!

11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

My posting was originally about good art versus bad art, weather it be cartoon, impressionistic, or realistic. Whats in the box isn't the issue here, The example I posted IS JUNK, I can only assume it was an early, cheap attempt at something like Dirty Donny's style, which is VERY good art. As people has posted here; "Whats this car suppose to be.....I think it looks like....",  I'd care what parts were in it....they obviously cant draw....I cant tell you how many times I opened a kit that even had great box art, but the parts inside were horrible, so Imagine what one would expect from a kit with HORRIBLE box art!!    - Yes I do care about the box art.....it doesn't instill confidence with me if you cant even tell what car it is from the start.

OK well, if this is "really" a discussion about "good art" versus "bad art", there will never be any consensus whatsoever.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder & one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I believe that the general agreement is that this is considered pretty cool box art, but would this score much higher on the "good art" meter?

Does it instill any more confidence as to what the vehicle is "supposed to be" or what the contents of the box are?

image.png.85a8856195b667ea507d34a5e83b0963.png

I don't know what the purpose of the discussion is.

Steve

49 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

That first one was a Model King release, some of the early Model King box art was pretty amateurish at best---the '63 Tempest drag car,  Cyclone drag car, etc.    The 2nd Imperial box art was a RC2 release, more professional. 

I don't really view this as a discussion. It's more of a pet peeve of some. Anyone who was around in 69 and is old enough to understand the market for models at the time and the popularity of "flower power". Just google "69 flower power cars" and check out the many Chrysler products that year that had flowered interiors and roof. 

Edited by my66s55

As a newbie wanting to build my first model in 1978, I have to say that it was the box art that got my attention. The model was Monogram's '57 Corvette which I think had come out the year before. All I saw was a cleanly built model on the box, and it got me to thinking that yes, I'd like to build one just like that.

Now how it actually turned out is another story................. :o:P

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

I agree too!!

I never saw the second reissue of the '59 Chrysler.....if so I'd bought it. I saw the first one and had no idea what was inside. I thought it was a promo that had been converted into a kit. I passed on even picking up the box.

946898-31911-49-pristine.jpg

I do have this kit, and I have to agree that the box art could have been done better. This is a case where I knew what was in the box, so I don't fret about it. I would like to find the reissue, but each time I see those turn up in the 'Bay, they're rather pricey!

Actually, the reason I'd like another one is to maybe turn it into a '58. I I've got the parts to do so, but I'd still like to have the '59 as well.

45 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

OK well, if this is "really" a discussion about "good art" versus "bad art", there will never be any consensus whatsoever.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder & one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I believe that the general agreement is that this is considered pretty cool box art, but would this score much higher on the "good art" meter?

Does it instill any more confidence as to what the vehicle is "supposed to be" or what the contents of the box are?

image.png.85a8856195b667ea507d34a5e83b0963.png

I don't know what the purpose of the discussion is.

Steve

This is actually VERY collectable ART.....its proven itself!!  I'm actually an artist who was born with the talent. You CANT go to school to learn how to be an artist....you either are, or your not. Much is the same with ANY talent. Now days people cry about how they really want to be this, or that, but its not fair that they aren't good at it, so things were adapted so that they could feel like everybody else...….i.e.  calling "Chicken scratch" art is lying to people. How about you draw a picture just like the one I posted, and see if you can sell it...…..you CANT... unless you're a funny guy, and sell it for a penny, and say, "there I did" just to show how "right" you think you are. If you don't understand what this topic is about, then why are you here? other people get it.  Its pretty "Dick & Jane". Seems to me you  think you know everything......EXCEPT art. Must be nice being you....treat yourself to a cookie.

26 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I never saw the second reissue of the '59 Chrysler.....if so I'd bought it. I saw the first one and had no idea what was inside. I thought it was a promo that had been converted into a kit. I passed on even picking up the box.

PASS!!!...I agree

I've seen some pretty horrible box art over the years,  but I can't remember ever not buying a model because of poor box art.  There are some I've passed on because the photo of the model on the box didn't look all that great, but that's a different issue, and the reason why photo boxes are better than painted boxes.

On the other hand, when they expect me to pay extra for some extra fancy "collector's edition" box, then that does turn me off.

9 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Over the years I've always held these two kits up as a low standard. A black car against a dark gray background. Any designer can tell you that's a no-no.

A lot of the '80s-90s AMT ERTL kit boxes looked like they put the absolute minimum effort into the box art...

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This is actually VERY collectable ART.....its proven itself!!  I'm actually an artist who was born with the talent. You CANT go to school to learn how to be an artist....you either are, or your not. Much is the same with ANY talent. Now days people cry about how they really want to be this, or that, but its not fair that they aren't good at it, so things were adapted so that they could feel like everybody else...….i.e.  calling "Chicken scratch" art is lying to people. How about you draw a picture just like the one I posted, and see if you can sell it...…..you CANT... unless you're a funny guy, and sell it for a penny, and say, "there I did" just to show how "right" you think you are. If you don't understand what this topic is about, then why are you here? other people get it.  Its pretty "Dick & Jane". Seems to me you  think you know everything......EXCEPT art. Must be nice being you....treat yourself to a cookie.

Wow!

I guess differing opinions are not acceptable in this topic!

Sorry, I guess that I did not know that I was talking to a "talented artist", so I guess that means that us lowly dregs should have no opinion.

Did I say I knew everything?

I don't recall that.

I likewise don't recall hurling insults at anyone.

I only offer my opinions, which is what a forum is supposed to be for.

The world is full of trash that masquerades as art & people sell it every day.

Just because you consider yourself an artist does not make you the premiere authority on what constitutes a piece of art.

Is this art?

image.png.431db69811147e8aefe51f57e71e1c12.png

Or this?

image.png.58d98887e212767046be6537d99bf1b4.png

Maybe this one?

image.png.49063910af4bddd857ba6a8853ade3ef.png

I'll bet that all of these people think that they were "born with talent" as well!

Do you know who I consider a talented artist?

A Doctor who performs a triple bypass & saves a life.

A master carpenter that can build a beautiful home that will last for generations.

A scientist who makes daily advancements in cancer treatments.

Maybe we should just lighten up a little.

It's a model kit box for crying out loud!

Thank you.

I will wait patiently for the next barrage of denigration & disparagement.

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic