Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Handle for #11 blades

I just had my favorite hobby blade handle wear out. It was an Excel soft grip. The soft plastic just above the blade jaws starting giving out about a year ago and finally split so that the handle no longer holds my blades reliably. There was a lot I liked about it and I can't complain since it lasted almost 10 years. The various aluminum blade handles with the knurled tightening portion just above the jaws never held the blade as surely as the Excel, but the way the handle was designed it was just a matter of (a very long) time before it wore out. I wondering if there are other handles out there that I might consider. I can't think of a more important or basic tool on my workbench so cost, within reason, is not my primary consideration.

I do the same as JC above. Various colored handles have different blades. My red handle always has the sharpest blade for foil work. Also because it is most likely to make me bleed. 

The hex nut on the end limits the ability of the knife rolling off the table/work bench. 

Danger

19 hours ago, peter31a said:

Fiskars makes a nice cushioned handle that fits the hand nicely. Can be found on Amazon, I believe.

29 minutes ago, Jon Haigwood said:

I recently bought a Excel wooded box set . The handle is all metal and it can't seem to stay tight. 

36992-3-1.jpg.f3131cf7b1f04954f20cc2d53c0f3bc0.jpg

3 minutes ago, jaymcminn said:

It never even occurred to me that they might not sell these anymore. I'm going to have to be extra careful with mine from now on.

Thanks for the input so far. John, all my all-metal handles like your recently purchased Excel have that problem, either when new or over time. Peter, the Fiskars looks nice, similar in approach to the soft handled Excel, with the hexagonal knurled knob at the ton for tightening and to keep the knife from rolling. It's definitely on my short list now, since it's an opportunity to get a non-Excel, although the handle color geature is a nice touch.

Keep your comments coming! The more options to consider the better!

Here are the three I use. Top red/black cushioned model is a Revell branded knife from Michael's, middle is a '90s x-acto brand with a plastic handle and anti-roll hex end cap, and bottom is the trusty, standard x-acto aluminum model. All hold #11 x-acto blades (and p/e saw blades) firmly.

One thing to note- I only use x-acto brand #11 blades, so I can't speak to how well off-brand blades work in any of these.

IMG_20181113_135331.thumb.jpg.afbee216ea66b47e21b41aed5f5cff69.jpg

Edited by Casey

I have a "generic" aluminum handle (that I think came in a Testors boxed paint set about a decade ago) and it is surprisingly good. Also have a 1990s X-Acto handle very similar to the red one Casey posted above. Mine is green though, and I think X-Acto called it the "Gripster" Recently bought an OLFA Ltd-09 which is beautifully made in Japan and has a nice heft to it. The handle appears to be painted black, not a soft rubber covering. The OLFA comes with a pack of very sharp blades that are shaped differently than the classic #11, but the handle also holds X-Acto-brand #11s very well. Haven't tried any other brand blades in it.

https://www.amazon.com/OLFA-Saw-knife-Spare-blade/dp/B075L95GMS

oh my gosh.  Never thought about it.   I've used these knives for over 30 years now at work.  So long as it holds the blade securely, I've never thought about it other than I seem to have mostly grpipsters at this point.   Always used those because of the square deal on them that kept them from rolliing into the floor and breaking the tip off.   I think I have enough of them in toolboxes to last the rest of my life.  

I can't remember the last time I bought an X-Acto handle at a craft store or hobby shop.  I've gotten a few of them in kit boxes from "short-term" modelers who maybe got the kit(s) as a gift, and decided the hobby wasn't for them.  I've found a number of them at automotive swap meets, in those "any item on the tarp is a dime/quarter, leave the money in the coffee can" deals.  Sometimes they're oxidized solid with the blade busted off.  A short soak in penetrating oil takes care of that.  Clean/grease the threads, screw it back together, good to go.  I've got a lifetime supply of #11 blades from a previous job at a sign shop that went through a lot of them (sharpened the throwaways that didn't have the tips broken off), and otherwise buy only X-Acto brand blades so I know they'll fit the handles properly.

I have found the front tighten knives, even the X-acto handles lose their grip of blades over time. I prefer the rear tighten like the picture I posted above. Used one at work for 20 some years at it still holds well today. The old front or top tighten does not, only used it for 5 years to find that out. 

I will say that the off brand knives will not always retract in the retractable handles I use at home.  The blades are a little wide to retract back inside the handle. 

I have a few of the regular aluminum X-Acto handles, one being the first one I ever bought over 50+ years ago, and they still work fine.  Older ball-point pens used to come with a rubber like sheath around them which fits the X-Acto handles perfectly providing a bit of cushion.  

Thanks for all the good info and discussion. I ordered a Fiskars handle on eBay. It was reasonably priced at $6.71 USD including shipping and arrived in 3 days from ordering. Below is a photo of it next to my quite old but no longer so trusty X-Acto knife. The Fiskars is really quite different even though it's still a fairly conventional cylindrical handle design. The handle is longer and fatter than the X-Acto and it appears to be made of chrome plated steel rather than aluminum. I like the larger diameter and the heft of it in my hand. I did some foil work with it and it draws steady. Even though there's no hexagonal anti-roll nut, the soft ovoid hand grip seems to stop it from rolling just as well. Overall I'm pleased with it and it already feels better to me than my old Excel soft handle even though I still have to get more used to it. Overall I'm pleased with it.

I've used other Olfa products before and they are well made. I may indulge in an Olfa handle and blades and give them a try, too.

Again, thanks for the invaluable feedback,
B.

Knife-Comparo-web.jpg

IMG 3116

My favorite is my soft handle Exacto brand handle.  As Jeff said, it's an old draftsmen's tip to put a tape wing on the handle, or as a draftsman we had those on all of our mechanical pencils, especially helpful when working on a tilted drafting board to keep the knife from rolling off the board and stabbing us in the Bobbit!   

I also purchased one of the Exacto brand handles with a light on it.  My workbench is pretty well lit so aside from the novelty of it, I haven't found that one all that useful.

I tend to change blades in a handle rather than have different handles.  For instance I have number 11 blades with the tips cut off to varying lengths.  Those are used in a drilled hole to hone the hole out larger.  Those blades sit in a drawer compartment awaiting their next use.