Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fat Finger Fix

NOBLNG

I was recently attempting to glue the side mirrors on my 70-1/2 Camaro. The mirrors were too tiny to hang onto and position properly. I was using CA glue also which I did not want to get on my fingers or all over the paint. The tweezers I was using had a hard time keeping a grip on the mirrors and they spit out across the desk numerous times before I finally got them in place. They were painted already, so I couldn't use pliers or squeeze them too tightly.

So that I don't have to deal with that frustration again, I modified these tweezers by gluing a small chunk of old bicycle inner tube to the tips with contact cement and trimming to shape. 

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

I have one pair of small tweezers with pointy tips where I slid some wire insulation stripped of a piece of cooper wire, and another pair where I slid some small diameter heat-shrink tubing, then shrunk the tubing with a heat gun.  Both resulted in tweezers with soft tips