Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 550 Spyder

Gluebomber

The annual Carrera Panamericana road race was run from 1950 through 1954.  The races covered the length of Mexico, the first one from Juarez on the U.S. border south to El Ocotel on the Guatemalan border, and the other four from Tuxtla Gutierrez, near Guatemala, north to Juarez.  The 1950 race was dominated by Detroit iron with Hershel McGriff winning in a 1950 Oldsmobile 88.  Later races attracted European sports car teams which had endurance racing experience from running at Targa Florio, Le Mans, and the Mille Miglia.  The race was discontinued after 1954 because of the high number of driver and spectator casualties (26 in five years) due to poor driving conditions and lack of safety regulations.

This model represents the Porsche 550 Spyder driven by Hans Herrmann in the 1954 PanAm, finishing First in the Small Sports Class and Third Overall.  The kit is a recent release from Fernando Pinto Models of Portugal, built mostly box stock.  As usual for Pinto's kits, it was relatively basic but not exactly shake-and-bake.  A fair amount of time was spent getting the front ride height correct and figuring parts placement due to the sketchy instruction sheet.   The finish is MCW Mercedes Silver.  In pictures I've seen of this car, the silver appears to have more of a satin finish so I left the paint unpolished.  The red rear fender flashes are Tamiya spray Italian Red.  Tamiya acrylics and Alclad metallics were also used.  

The model is far from perfect, but I was glad to add this relatively unusual car to my shelf.  All comments and constructive criticism are welcome.  Thanks for looking! 

Porsche 550.06.JPG

Porsche 550.07.JPG

Porsche 550.08.JPG

Porsche 550.09.JPG

Porsche 550.10.JPG

Nice job.  I owned many years ago a Beck Spyder as some of you probably know is a kit car replica of the Porsche 550 Spyder.  It was totally unpractical and I think my neighbors hated it when I started it up but it was blast to drive!   Your kit is very very nice.  Thanks for the posting.

Patrick, here's a link to the ebay page for this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-550-Spyder-Panamericana-54-Le-Mans-55-or-Targa-Florio-56-FPPM-1-24-kit/123642422076?hash=item1cc9a9a33c:g:JpkAAOSwuGhbqn17:rk:16:pf:0

Pinto also has a Facebook page and you can save a little by ordering from him directly.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, drodg said:

Nice job.  I owned many years ago a Beck Spyder as some of you probably know is a kit car replica of the Porsche 550 Spyder.  It was totally unpractical and I think my neighbors hated it when I started it up but it was blast to drive!   Your kit is very very nice.  Thanks for the posting.

I was very interested in a Beck 550, and I asked the owners club if there was a way of putting a heater in it: Answer:  Yes. A down-filled jacket.

1 hour ago, Gluebomber said:

Patrick, here's a link to the ebay page for this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-550-Spyder-Panamericana-54-Le-Mans-55-or-Targa-Florio-56-FPPM-1-24-kit/123642422076?hash=item1cc9a9a33c:g:JpkAAOSwuGhbqn17:rk:16:pf:0

Pinto also has a Facebook page and you can save a little by ordering from him directly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Gluebomber. I had a quick look but the prices are far more than I can afford.

20 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

I was very interested in a Beck 550, and I asked the owners club if there was a way of putting a heater in it: Answer:  Yes. A down-filled jacket.

Not to high jack this thread more than I have already since this is taking away from such a great build of a very historic car but I will just give a little info about the heater thing.  I sold my car to a guy in January a number of years ago and he drove to the west coast with it.  I am in Indiana! He ended up wiring in some kind of electric heater.  Not sure how safe or how effective though.  LOL!