Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Mustang's 55th birthday TODAY....let's see them.....

This is a "Preview of Coming Attractions." B)

It won't be the BEST Mustang model posted in this thread, but it very well might be the OLDEST, having appeared in the February 1966 Car Model magazine, which means it was built sometime in 1965 (it's an original '65 AMT annual, not a '66). Full story of its recent restoration coming to Under Glass as soon as I can find the time to write it up. B)

65MustangSable40.jpg.3b524b6d26b5c9da435284cd0dd19946.jpg

Well I haven't built a model of it yet, but this is sitting in the garage waiting for me to license it for the summer. It's hard to believe that it's now 11 years old - and that I've owned it for 10 !

Gotta drive it more this year...

DSC00024.JPG

Building two '65s: one for each of my younger brothers. They both bought used 1:1s back when they were in their early 20s. I'm building these AMT 1/16 scale kits so they emulate their 1:1 cars. Yes there are a lot of inaccuracies with this kit but I'm pretty much building them box stock, except I'll be building them with vinyl roofs.

black stang int 2.jpg

blue stang int 2.jpg

mustang engine in chassis.jpg

mustang bodies.jpg

46 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Has it been that long ? aren't we due for a decent modern kit of this great Icon ?

You have to admit, The AMT promo chassis kit is a little long in the tooth.:P

download.jpg

fd222bf57f89f2c9e08317d26690b2ae.jpg

And yet the overall shape and body detailing of the AMT '66 Mustang are not only adequate, they put those of many much newer "superkits" to shame. If you want/need a better chassis/engine/underhood, you'll have to scrounge them up elsewhere--AMT's '67 Mustang fastback, perhaps. 

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I am at the Mustang 55th today....but they have kinda shutdown today because of tornado warnings. Saturday is going to be nice so hope better Sat.....

Did you go to the 50th?  If so how does it compare?  I was thinking of going but procrastinating in getting tickets and a hotel, etc..  I am guessing there will as many Mustangs at the All Ford Carlisle.  Did you tour the museum yet?   I hope the event is run better than the 50th - there were some major flubs and delays with registration the first day.