Model Cars Magazine Forum

Iconic cars not kitted

23 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Iconic - the term varies from person to person. As Joe just pointed out.

I couldn't agree more.

In my opinion, most of the cars depicted above are just variations on a theme and would have never been considered iconic if it were not for the names associated with them.

To me, there are not a lot of really iconic cars.

My personal definition of an iconic car would be something that is instantly recognizable by the majority of people whether they are car lovers, or not.

If we are talking about what would be iconic to people like us who love cars, that would include almost everything.

It's just my opinion, but a truly iconic car is one that would be recognized by my wife or 30 year old daughter. :)

These are my ideas of a truly iconic car.

Steve

image.png.854bd01665b78916cd6047f486895e1d.png

image.png.540cafd082f91e20dfd09377dba09a20.png

image.png.468997aca151dd79b1f2e506fb6e72e4.png

image.thumb.png.99ff68712e45ef7a7b76b7fa8f8ebfb9.png

57 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Yes, you can, and I have the Bill Niekamp and John Athan roadsters on my project list, but that's not the topic.

Maybe a better title would have been Iconic "One Off Hot Rods". i.e. the first group of kits shown.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:02 AM, Greg Myers said:

AfterACE-Garageguy"s Post on the McGee Roadster it got me wondering how many Iconic cars have never been kitted, and how many have.

First a look at some that HAVE been kitted:

51s7LNn2SsL._SX466_.jpg

3d7642d2acd26f275f72fadc2f02f82e.jpg

revell-lil-john-butteras-26-t-street-rod.jpg

download.jpg

Revell-H-1289-2.jpg

outlaw_top.jpg

tognotti_wdream_top_zps90fa2b58.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

download (4).jpg

download (5).jpg

It would seem, at least I'd like to think so, that this first group of kits ( Notice, all One Off vehicles) would have set the tone for this thread.

Truly Iconic has many meanings, and I must admit the example listing the Model T, VW Bug, '57 Chevy, truly has "Iconic" cars.

Many of the others have jumped the shark going the way of listing those cars that have indeed never been kitted but boarder on the typical list of " Cars I'd like to See Kitted" i.e. aunt Minnie's neighbor's father's, friend's, 1989 whatever it is.

I guess this is just my short coming not describing the topic more clearly.

Iconic one off, famous, Hot Rods and Custom cars we've seen in magazines, TV shows, movies, car shows, museums.

Alright, you have your assignment. Pick this one apart.:P

By the way, just saw the latest ZZ Top kit at Hobby Lobby.:)

20 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

It would seem, at least I'd like to think so, that this first group of kits ( Notice, all One Off vehicles) would have set the tone for this thread.

Truly Iconic has many meanings, and I must admit the example listing the Model T, VW Bug, '57 Chevy, truly has "Iconic" cars.

Many of the others have jumped the shark going the way of listing those cars that have indeed never been kitted but boarder on the typical list of " Cars I'd like to See Kitted" i.e. aunt Minnie's neighbor's father's, friend's, 1989 whatever it is.

I guess this is just my short coming not describing the topic more clearly.

Iconic one off, famous, Hot Rods and Custom cars we've seen in magazines, TV shows, movies, car shows, museums.

Alright, you have your assignment. Pick this one apart.:P

By the way, just saw the latest ZZ Top kit at Hobby Lobby.:)

Ok, now I thoroughly understand what you're after.

Not necessarily iconic in the sense of automotive milestones, but more along the lines of "famous" cars, for whatever reasons.

The first thing that popped into my mind for famous cars that are instantly recognizable by a large portion of the population, although not necessarily an "iconic" car, is this one.

I doubt that there are many people in the free world that will not recognize it.

And yes, it is available in kit form, although it would require a little customizing by the builder.

Steve

image.png.da30abe42aa2bc8b46af06b8a0bca688.png

image.png

Iconic to enthusiasts still count, and is probably even more relevant, since it is an enthusiast crowd we're talking about,  but if we're talking about the general public,  it's hard to think of a more iconic piece of Americana than the Checker Cab.

New-York-Checker-Marathon-Taxi-1-1600x10

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Does any manufacturer a stock Renault R5 Turbo in 1/25th or 1/24th scale ? I'm aware of the Tamiya Rallye version ; I'm looking for street-stock .

Same goes for a Peugeot 205 GTI , c.1985 .

While we're at it :

1.) 1970 Dart Swinger 

2.) 1970 Duster 340 

3. ) 1970-1972 El Camino ; 1971-1972 GMC Sprint 

On 5/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I couldn't agree more.

In my opinion, most of the cars depicted above are just variations on a theme and would have never been considered iconic if it were not for the names associated with them.

To me, there are not a lot of really iconic cars.

My personal definition of an iconic car would be something that is instantly recognizable by the majority of people whether they are car lovers, or not.

If we are talking about what would be iconic to people like us who love cars, that would include almost everything.

It's just my opinion, but a truly iconic car is one that would be recognized by my wife or 30 year old daughter. :)

These are my ideas of a truly iconic car.

Steve

image.png.854bd01665b78916cd6047f486895e1d.png

image.png.540cafd082f91e20dfd09377dba09a20.png

image.png.468997aca151dd79b1f2e506fb6e72e4.png

image.thumb.png.99ff68712e45ef7a7b76b7fa8f8ebfb9.png

The question is, not kitted.