Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shark Attack

Peter Lombardo

Custom, one off, gull-wing coupe.  Vacuum formed over a hand sculpted buck.  Ferrari 360 Modena engine. Tamiya Mica Blue on top, Tamiya Light Metallic Blue in middle and a custom mix light grey on the bottom  Pegasus wheels and parts box tires..... This was a bear of a build hand forming all of the interior panels and opening the doors.  It is different, but I like it...... shark nose, shark mouth, shark eyes and shark gills, be careful, she bites.1d9BULbXzt83ntn2MhjcIZJXGdSyoSIYOKqTJeAYGjwle2nMwhyB7ZjT4UBB-I8Z0dyVkyuozptOkw73bq73x3cOXvjdBB1a8o_l86xgPiOEVBXxZf-A7a4lrx63ZPitnG84I0nd27sR9FRYnNVQttJtNu-Ld1J7uloj8ReBPsXCSk61uIwSYZYxIIa5r6M0vcRnjusroktn2TWRrQU7lmCZ9uDRaHg_27ycjVczUWtZ11gPhcO11snPoCc5AljUnbWle4OribbEKyIT0yOxhktrUkA--TOxmx1AOKXXMFPkLyUxSuA1KwlWw2snYdof-gn6PP5sLTzTv-YV63ThvZhiWkSX8iAOjFnMJxNE Thanks for looking.

Incredibly cool!! Love the concept, fabrication, opening doors, and detailing. Very creative.

A question for you--how do the door props function? Do they actually collapse as the doors close, or do they unhook and fold away? The reason I ask is I have a gullwing-door '63 Corvette project that needs exactly the same kind of door prop, and I've run into a bit of a snag trying to make it functional enough to hold the weight of the door without seeming too obtrusive when the door is open.

Thanks Chris, as for the door props, I actually wanted to make a more complicated prop, but in the end, opted for a simple design.  The prop is fashioned in an "L" shape and the short end is fit into a hole in the firewall.  When the door is opened, I swing the prop up to be positioned to hold the weight of the door open, when closed, the prop is swung down and rests behind the seat.  I use a pair of tweezers to grab the prop and swing it up to hold the door when it is opened.  I have also made a number of working props with the brass rod inserted into the aluminum tube and attached to the door and body on either end.  I am just finishing up a set of these props for the Tamiya SL300 Gull Wing I am almost finished with.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:58 PM, ismaelg said:

Love it!  The fade job looks great as well!  Reminds me of the Mako Shark show car.

Yes Ismael, the Mako Shark Corvette was exactly what I was thinking about with the paint on this one.     I wanted to make a convertible version of this car so I have modified the buck.  But when I started changing it, I completely changed the front end to make it more conventional looking.  So this will be a slightly different roadster version with a targa roof that lifts off and a rear deck that opens to reveal the engine.grJ1CjasEnP6kQVnoRz5xwfKEWOq6YkVXKJ26b3PfVAWsMZ6ITQlSg_Bia51bgrNdikVAh3F17vkSl4m_ZEc_aiVlmowEMpbj89kgtT3-_2Hdg1tNXfMXz0W9VdFSfkZ-f6fC7du7saeHyDjHMuYaiuDM2WWyZIp Right now it looks a little like a pickup truck, but the side wings behind the door openings will be extended to give it a little more flowing look to the roof.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, wisdonm said:

Not sure about the nose, but your skill is appreciated.

The nose, I agree, is "out there", but that was the point, I was attempting to make it very Shark like, so I exaggerated the design knowing that this is more of a design concept and not really a vehicle that would actually hit the road.  It is more whimsical and less actual.  I find this is the most rewarding part of modeling for me.  Sure, I can build a kit, add engine details, bare metal foil and smooth shinny paint, but I like the idea of going where others haven't gone before.  Not what "is", but more like what "could be" but still keeping it "real".  The "Son of Shark Attack" on the workbench tab, is from the same basic design buck, but much more conventional  with a more practical front end design.