Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Lincoln surf wagon

restoman

Slooooowwwww going lately.

Life has gotten in the way of bench time... 

But... I've gotten the reveal moldings scribed in, the liftgate and tailgate openings as well. 

Widened the track a bit, maybe a bit too much, but that's an easy solve. 

Lowered it a scootch, too.

Not sure about the fender skirts... ?

A few small spots of putty to take care of and then it's getting the final coats of primer.

Comments always welcome! :)

feb 18 1.jpg

feb 18 2.jpg

feb 18 3.jpg

feb 18 4.jpg

I know you have already done the gutters ( nice job too) but............ if it was mine, and I am a wagon guy, having spent an irreplaceable portion of my childhood in the back of one,  I would add some extra plastic to the lower edge of the roof, below the gutters.  As it stands, the side window profile is a bit "empty".  It is also slightly curved upwards.  Straightening out that curve with some additional plastic (1-2 mm at most) would give  you that upmarket feel you wanted, a bit more gangster, ( modern Chrysler 300 look)  and might also improve the flow towards the rear of the car.

I have had one of these for years and fully intend to do the wagon conversion, Your work so far has given me a lot of ideas. I'm fifty fifty on the skirts but having them in primer would make it easier to choose.  Are you going to paint this maroon, seems like a great look in the photo.

Cheers

Alan

Excellent design and fabrication work so far! It all blends together so well.

Looking at what you've done so far, my mind goes immediately to one of those full-on customs from the 60's rather than a surf wagon. Something in like a purple mist color with a plush white interior and a lightly tinted glass roof.

As a plus, that'll give you some justification for keeping the skirts.    Bonus! ;) 

Whatever path you take with it, I'm sure it'll be great.

David G.

This is beautiful and really looks as if the factory might have churned these out. 

Since you asked, I actually like it better without the fender skirts; and I think fender skirts are really cool in general.   Regardless, this is an epic build!  Really love seeing this take shape.

Hi Mike,  this is great stuff, I love old wagons. My 2 cents on the skirts... don’t love them, but that’s just personal preference. Maybe drop the front end one more scootch? If you are staying with silver for the body perhaps consider Tamiya TS 100 semi gloss gunmetal? Regardless, you obviously have a plan and are executing it nicely.

Cheers, Steve

13 hours ago, alan barton said:

I know you have already done the gutters ( nice job too) but............ if it was mine, and I am a wagon guy, having spent an irreplaceable portion of my childhood in the back of one,  I would add some extra plastic to the lower edge of the roof, below the gutters.  As it stands, the side window profile is a bit "empty".  It is also slightly curved upwards.  Straightening out that curve with some additional plastic (1-2 mm at most) would give  you that upmarket feel you wanted, a bit more gangster, ( modern Chrysler 300 look)  and might also improve the flow towards the rear of the car.

I have had one of these for years and fully intend to do the wagon conversion, Your work so far has given me a lot of ideas. I'm fifty fifty on the skirts but having them in primer would make it easier to choose.  Are you going to paint this maroon, seems like a great look in the photo.

Cheers

Alan

I do plan on adding a few pieces in there, to kind of replicate the window seals at least. Funny, I didn't really notice it until I took some pics and looked at them and then noticed that emptiness.

Thanks!

I'm thinking something like a medium charcoal, with the kits aftermarket-looking woodgrain decals...

9 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent design and fabrication work so far! It all blends together so well.

Looking at what you've done so far, my mind goes immediately to one of those full-on customs from the 60's rather than a surf wagon. Something in like a purple mist color with a plush white interior and a lightly tinted glass roof.

As a plus, that'll give you some justification for keeping the skirts.    Bonus! ;) 

Whatever path you take with it, I'm sure it'll be great.

David G.

Yeah, the original theme was something some rich-kid's Dad might have commissioned when the car was new, but as a "I wanted a Lincoln wagon, but Lincoln doesn't offer one, so I paid a shop to built one for me, with a few custom touches".

Thanks! :)

7 hours ago, Jonathan said:

This is beautiful and really looks as if the factory might have churned these out. 

Since you asked, I actually like it better without the fender skirts; and I think fender skirts are really cool in general.   Regardless, this is an epic build!  Really love seeing this take shape.

I think I'll paint the skirts to match and make the final decision at assembly time. The skirts really do change the look.

13 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Mike,  this is great stuff, I love old wagons. My 2 cents on the skirts... don’t love them, but that’s just personal preference. Maybe drop the front end one more scootch? If you are staying with silver for the body perhaps consider Tamiya TS 100 semi gloss gunmetal? Regardless, you obviously have a plan and are executing it nicely.

Cheers, Steve

I think you're right: a little lower all around... A light gunmetal or medium charcoal is in my thoughts too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just about the final mock-up before paint. 

When will paint hit the plastic, you might ask? Whenever it gets warm enough in my garage, hopefully soon.

I think if I were to do this again, I'd be chopping the C pillars a bit, to lower the backward slope of the roofline. It looks ok as is, but the required size of the liftgate window is a little reminiscent of a funeral hearse... I had briefly thought about it early in the build, but in bare styrene, the slopping rood just didn't fiy with the boxy, high-shouldered look of the Lincoln, and it meant the quarter windows would end up as a tapered window. Who knew, eh? ;)

Comments always welcome. 

02 28 1.jpg

02 28 3.jpg

02 28 4.jpg

02 28 5.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Slow going this time of year. Life... What are you gonna do?

Just about ready for final assembly. Those decals are fun... :(

I robbed a lid from one of our food storage containers, makes a right nice roof glass and windows.

woody 1.jpg

woody 2.jpg

On 2/28/2021 at 1:58 PM, restoman said:

Just about the final mock-up before paint. 

When will paint hit the plastic, you might ask? Whenever it gets warm enough in my garage, hopefully soon.

I think if I were to do this again, I'd be chopping the C pillars a bit, to lower the backward slope of the roofline. It looks ok as is, but the required size of the liftgate window is a little reminiscent of a funeral hearse... I had briefly thought about it early in the build, but in bare styrene, the slopping rood just didn't fiy with the boxy, high-shouldered look of the Lincoln, and it meant the quarter windows would end up as a tapered window. Who knew, eh? ;)

Comments always welcome. 

02 28 1.jpg

02 28 3.jpg

02 28 4.jpg

02 28 5.jpg

I love the hearse look. One of my future projects is a sidepiped street hearse. I have already stolen your photos for future use. 
Dave. 

• 1 month later...