Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

21 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

It may not necessarily apply in your case but, I have learned that some paints "blush" if the humidity is over 50% when spraying. Just FYI.

I call it 'blush', but it's not a humidity blush. It's the first time I have had some weird reactions when using Tamiya sprays. The paint was completely dry before the clear was applied, but the clear actually reacted with the colour coat, and the finished colour was much darker than the original. 

4 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Applied 1500 black to some parts of a build that stalled for a bit, hoping this will get things moving again.

The parts.

parts%201500%20black%202.jpg

parts%201500%20black%203.jpg

The build

Hakotora%20engine%20bay%20wip%209.jpg

Hakotora%20engine%20wip.jpg

I like the look of the fender flairs. Was this part of the kit or is it something  you added ? I would like to get a set.    

I have been fighting "Builders Block" for a time. The last two builds get about 3/4 done and I seem to lose interest. This morning I started digging thru the stash for parts for something I've wanted to do for some time. I'm starting with the Revell '50 Olds kit as a bases. I'm going to build a fairly close version of a '50 Oldsmobile California Highway Patrol car. I have an old decal set from Chimneyville Hobbies for the main CHP door decals. I also robbed some Decals and Radio Equipment and Lights from the '57 Ford Wagon and the Mustang coupe issued a couple of years ago. Been looking on line most of the morning for pictures of the real cars used by the CHP from that era. This weekend I'm going to start this, after impending snow blower and shoveling duties and of course the victories Chefs game on Sunday afternoon.     

I was all ready to glue together some major assemblies for a modified ICM 1912 Model T Commercial Roadster. Then after a close look, realized the paint had worn thru in a few tiny places, and I missed a couple other spots. Drat!  So I fixed all that, letting it dry now. 

The ICM kit is a great start for all sorts of vintage service and commercial vehicles.  Ford didn't make a pickup truck yet in 1912, but the Commercial Roadster was the closest thing to it.  The storage box on the rear and its attached "mother-in-law" seat were both removable. Many owners did remove both, and added their own custom-made pickup beds or delivery bodies.  Here's an original Commercial Roadster body, left in a warehouse for many years buried under a bunch of junk.  If you want all those rivets on your build, you'll have to do what I did and add them yourself.

528768.jpg

Love this thread! Started on the Tommy Ivo showboat dragster that I started when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old back in 95 or 96. Took apart the engines that I had terribly put together and reassembled them. They are ready for paint now. While those were drying, I started assembling the engine for the Pisano & matsubara monza funnycar and the engine for the Don Prudhomme wedge dragster.

Gotta love the C1 products!  Yes, he's in England but a vendor at NNL East every year!   

And me?  I spent both yesterday and today at the New Jersey house doing tasks needed to get it ready for closing!  I did come home this evening and put the finishing touches on the Blue Beetle.  It's sitting on the shelf with my other Monogram Model A's  (it's a disease I'll tell ya!) and will be at the TSSMCC club meeting tomorrow!  First finish of the year!  Onward to the Trabbie!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 1/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, DonW said:

Leslie - At risk of veering off topic, am I right in my understanding that cats are a bit more lively in rough water than single hulled boats?

Oh - and I've never imagined a chopped taxi before. Is it an FX4? Apologies if you have already posted this info!

Cheers,

-Don.

it depends on a lot of factors mate, it has much less side to side rolling than a single hull and out route is across the pentaland firth which is where the atlantic and north sea meet so its pretty rough. If the ballast is set right though you would find it a lot smoother as its 2 thinnner hulls instead of one fat one cutting through the water. Our new boat has less than 1 metre of draught when fully loaded too so we can use shallower water than single hulls, the equivelent single hull would be more than double. We use a lot less fuel too but thats can be down to engine choice as well as the hull.

The taxi is the revell one but a new plan is forming there too so it wont look like this much longer

DSC05755.JPG

14 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

It a trans kit for Hasegawa Nissan Sunny made by C1 Models.

box%20art%202.jpg

transkit%20fitted%20a.jpg

hart%205.jpg

Thank you for the info. I'll have to see just how hard it is to get her.

10 hours ago, stitchdup said:

it depends on a lot of factors mate, it has much less side to side rolling than a single hull and out route is across the pentaland firth which is where the atlantic and north sea meet so its pretty rough. If the ballast is set right though you would find it a lot smoother as its 2 thinnner hulls instead of one fat one cutting through the water. Our new boat has less than 1 metre of draught when fully loaded too so we can use shallower water than single hulls, the equivelent single hull would be more than double. We use a lot less fuel too but thats can be down to engine choice as well as the hull.

The taxi is the revell one but a new plan is forming there too so it wont look like this much longer

DSC05755.JPG

I remember your Taxi build. this ever get finished ? 

Finished stripping the front and rear bumpers of a '67 Impala promo I'm restoring, and tested a new "chrome" paint I think I'm gonna use on them. Looks pretty good. Will probably spray them tomorrow. 

Masked off the seats of my long-stalled Revell EMPI Imp and shot primer on the body. 

Added the last detail to a diecast I basically finished last month except for this one little thing. 

Wasn't a bad day at all, progress-wise. 

Today was busy for me! The January meeting of TSSMCC is when we stamp and label the NNL East postcards. Everyone pitches in and it gets done quick. Then Tim and I drove them to a post office that is open late so it’s done!

And that’s what I did for the hobby today! I did bring the completed Blue Beetle to the meeting too.

Here is something that I've been doing that is a little different but is model related.

Over the last few years I've been trying to turn a spare room into a model display room. About two years ago I built a glass fronted model display unit on one wall (8 ft x 12 ft) and this weekend I'm finishing phase two. I'm a little obsessive about Corvette models and for over 30 years have been trying to find  one of each Vette kit ever released (don't have them all yet) but those I have were stored away in boxes and in closets. I've been wanting to get all those  (one of each unbuilt kits) on display as well. Finally got the shelves for them built and all the unbuilt kits arranged and on shelves last night. Still have some clean-up to do but when that is done I can get back to building models to display.

Today I finally finished all of the BMF work on the Modelhaus '57 Desoto resin kit I've been working on.  Tomorrow I'll work on installing the glass... then it will be time to install the completed interior.  I'm hoping to have it completely done before the end of this week.  Pictures will follow soon.

Finished off a problematic Dodge short box model! One of those kits where nothing seems to fit after it's painted... or glue is applied.

Knocked together a work bench for a future diorama, along with a bench vise and some axle stands. They can be seen next to the Dodge in Under Glass.

And then, got motivated enough to get back on the resin '79 300 that I've been avoiding for some time. ;)

Edited by restoman