Model Cars Magazine Forum

Display cabinet

This project started when I bought a big pile of glass shelves. The shelves are tempered glass, and cannot be cut, so I had to make the cabinets to fit the shelves. Fortunately, the shelves are two different lengths, so I could make two equal sized cabinets, and still have a place for my Saturn V.

The cabinets are made of old (unused) fencing boards, which turned out to be quarter sawn white oak. The only major expense was the glass for the sliding doors.

This thing may take the rest of my life to fill up. I'm hoping it doesn't pull the wall down. All that glass is HEAVY!

DSCN1840.JPG

DSCN1841 (2).JPG

Thanks, Ray!

Thanks, Tom!

Thanks, Jim!

14 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Wow, that is a beautiful cabinet! How about a picture of your fence?

LOL. Thankfully, these boards never made it to the fence, they were just stored in the barn. Made them much easier to use!

Thanks, Greg!

Edited by Kit Basher

Thanks, Keith!

Thanks, David!

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

That's a beautiful piece. As for pulling away from the wall, with the obvious woodworking skills, I'm certain you've got it well anchored into the studs. A great piece and inspirational in design.

Oh yeah, it's thoroughly anchored to the wall, I'm just afraid it will pull the whole wall down!? Thanks, Mike!

49 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Very nicely done. wIsh I had that kind of know-how.

My woodworking skills are limited to assembling Ikea shelves.

Thanks, Dan!  I've been a professional woodworker for 30+ years. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.?

Wow - that's is a perfect display case.  Well done.  Many of us have the opposite problem - too many models and not enough cases.  Since I build kits and also collect diecast - I have run out of space but it has not stoped me from buying or building. ?

Edited by vamach1

9 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Wow - that's is a perfect display case.  Well done.  Many of us have the opposite problem - too many models and not enough cases.  Since I build and collec diecast - I have run out of space but it has not stoped me from buying or building. ?

Thanks, Rex!  I was in the same boat. My other displays are full. My storage for unbuilt kits is overflowing. That won't stop me either!?

Thanks, David!

Edited by Kit Basher

27 minutes ago, Kit Basher said:

Thanks, Kevin!  Yes, that's the Revellogram F-102. Hobby Lobby's last clearance had it on sale for $7.49. I couldn't pass it up.

Indeed, that is an excellent price. I have the Encore boxing, but have no real idea when I'll get to it.

That is a beautiful set of shelves , it's a good thing you built the Saturn. As for the weight of tempered glass, I've been there and done that, my display contains 48- 6mm tempered glass shelves each 3 ft long with four sliding doors each 7x3 ft. Thank goodness I had help hauling all that glass in when I build my dream of a life time cabinet a few years back. If you ever fill your up, and you probably will, you can always add an addition underneath. That display case is something that you can be as proud of as the models inside.

VERY nice job on that display cabinet Hugh and you'll find (maybe) with all that emptiness in your cabinet that it will motivate you to finish more models to add to the case. It happened to me and soon I'll have to add another shelf, that is if I get out of my current "building slump."

Thanks, Carl!

Thanks, Robert!

9 minutes ago, High octane said:

(maybe) with all that emptiness in your cabinet that it will motivate you to finish more models to add to the case.

Thanks, Nick!  I hope you are right, last year was a slow year for me.

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

I have never seen or heard anybody using oak for fence material.  Usually  it is cedar.  Oak would have made a really solid fence!

Thanks Peter!  I guess it depends on geography. Around here, oak is plentiful, and cedar is rare. Cedar would make good fence posts, but the #1 choice for posts in this area is locust, again plentiful. Oak is used for the horizontal boards.