Pierson Bros. '36 Ford Coupe

RancheroSteve

Bear with me as I try to turn this kit:

revell 36ford box lg

Into a replica of the Pierson Brothers 1936 Ford Coupe:

PiersonBrothersCoupeColorLakes-vi

I'll be using the R&M chopped top:

657 36 Ford WIP

Here's where I'm at so far, after about ten hours of body work. The top is on and the insert from the kit grafted in, body fitted to the fenders, new hood sides made (they'll get louvers later), trim removed from hood ( a new trim piece will be made).

663 36 Ford wip

Deck lid fitted:

664 36 Ford wip

And hinged:

666 36 Ford wip

And a bunch of other little things to numerous to mention. Wow, nothing fits very well at all on this kit without a lot of massaging, but I'm having fun so far.

Edited by RancheroSteve

One thing that sort of stands out is the moldings where the body and the top join. The molding under the side window that matches the door skin ends at the back edge of the door. This could be blended into the body with a small addition of plastic in that area. I wonder if the Chopped Top is based on the option from the AMT '36 Ford Coupe/Roadster kit ? Overall the body looks good.     

Thanks for that, David. As you probably know, the tops on these things are notoriously hard to match up well. Still some tuning to do here as I get further into it, but I think some of what you might be seeing is where the primer has been sanded away as I tried to get the top to match the body. I'll see what it looks like once I've shot a little more primer on it. 

Edit: On third look, you're absolutely right, David. I went back and added a little plastic and putty on the right side and a little putty (only) on the left.

Edited by RancheroSteve

Turning my attention to the fender skirts. I had hoped to use the skirts that Rich Costello kindly sent me, but after a closer look, I realized I'd have to scratchbuild them after all. Since I had a good profile shot from Rodders Journal, I was able to print the skirts out to scale and use that as a template.  AMT skirts on top, my fabricated skirts on the bottom.

668 skirts

And installed:

670 skirt L

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some more progress. I've spent a lot of time trying to get a passable rendition of the louvered hood and hood sides. I won't go into the details, but the hood top took three tries; not perfect, but it will have to do. Louvers are from the Revell '49 Mercury custom hood.

703 Pierson Bros 36 wip

Hood side louvers cam from the Revell '32 Roadster. The fit is actually better than it looks in these photos, since everything is just help in place with tape.

699 Pierson Bros 36 wip

I also made some structure for the underside of the trunk lid.

694 trunk inside

On to the chassis and mechanical stuff next. Thanks for looking.

6 hours ago, mrm said:

I was just reading about the very car you are building in an old copy of Rodder's Journal the other day.

Yes, I have that issue - great reference for building the model. I found a lot of photos online, including some stuff from the shop that restored it, but there are some details in that RJ article that don't show up anywhere else.

• 2 months later...

After learning that the Pierson coupe used a lot of '40 Ford components (suspension, brakes, steering), I figured I'd add a little more detail and picked up one of these for parts:

1940 Ford Standard Coupe

In case you haven't seen one, it's a beautiful kit, extremely well done. One thing led to another and I soon realized the frame and interior pan is a near drop-in to the '36 body. Here's the frame assembled and painted. The only alteration is adding a battery box under the seat (the stock '36 location).

873 40 Ford frame

872 40 Ford frame

Edited by RancheroSteve

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 12:54 AM, RancheroSteve said:

Turning my attention to the fender skirts. I had hoped to use the skirts that Rich Costello kindly sent me, but after a closer look, I realized I'd have to scratchbuild them after all. Since I had a good profile shot from Rodders Journal, I was able to print the skirts out to scale and use that as a template.  AMT skirts on top, my fabricated skirts on the bottom.

668 skirts

And installed:

670 skirt L

Don't want to hijack this post but a long time ago I traced the profile of that AMT skirt,enlarged it and built a tear drop trailer from it. If any of our members bought that slick resin teardrop trailer from the Modelhaus it was made from my master and it all started from that fender skirt.