Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just short pieces of aluminum tubing, drilled out a little to thin the wall thickness and then polished on the ends.

Actually a pretty easy upgrade.

Steve

ah cool. I'll have a look for some of that when I'm at the hardware store next. Thanks Steve, great little mod!

7 hours ago, Dodge Driver said:

Steve, I'm unaware how you created the levers, and more specifically the handles. 

Would you show us your method? I'm hoping to add levers to some columns going forward. 

Hi Frank.

Of course, the levers themselves are nothing more than pieces of silver wire bent to shape.

The thin knob on the blinker switch is just a piece of thin plastic rod, drilled on one end to accept the wire, and sanded round on the other.

The knob on the gear selector is a little more involved, but still not difficult.......that is as long as you have good dexterity, and either great eyes or plenty of magnification. :D

I started with a piece of rod in the correct diameter.

Then I sanded the end of the rod to a point, or cone shape.

Next, I took a small round file, and lightly filed around the upper portion of that cone to create a little bit of a concave cone shape, if you know what I mean.

All of this is of course done while it's still attached to the rod.

Next, I drilled out the thin end of the cone for for the wire.

Finally, I sliced the knob from the rod right at the point where the cone meets the rod.

Here's a little trick to use when continuing to work with extremely small parts such as this knob after it has been removed from the rod.

Be sure that the small end is drilled before separating it from the rod, and then once cut off, slip the part back onto the drill bit with the bit still in the pin vice.

This allows you to use the pin vice as a handle for finishing work on a very small part instead of trying to handle it with your fingers.

Once the knob is separated, sand the end smooth, or a little convex, or as I did in this case, sand a small strip around the wide end of the knob flat for a little added detail.

Sometimes it's a little difficult to give instructions for something like this with the written word Frank, but I hope I made it understood. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sometimes it's a little difficult to give instructions for something like this with the written word Frank, but I hope I made it understood. ;)

Steve

Crystal clear Steve. Thank you for the in depth explanation.  It is greatly appreciated. 🙂

On 10/6/2021 at 1:38 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Eureka! I think I have it! :D

Thanks again to everyone that continues to contribute their expertise during the course of this project.

As you can see from this particular example, I'm always open to suggestions, and very often, those of you that contribute, will often save my bacon! ^_^

Thanks again Bill, for getting me thinking about it again.

Sometimes that's all that's required to help me get back to the bench to try another approach.

image.jpeg.52ddcfc2a64c249fccb7f55c941b702f.jpeg

image.jpeg.ed6261189d92983d2f6cdce01ee15a98.jpeg

image.jpeg.e818ee59184c061b07fd39d5d496754b.jpeg

Steve

much, MUCH better.

15 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

That is looking great Steven! I like that colour on it. I think the aluminum tube trick for marker lights is even easier than the wire hoops that I used.👍

Thanks Greg!

Here's a few pics after the final color coat.

I think it has a little more depth now, and clear coats should bring the color to the forefront.

image.jpeg.8fa249c8e8fee3f422a9db6a54b73528.jpeg

image.jpeg.68d00e7b39f1feb7ef95a0fefb8d5710.jpeg

image.jpeg.1edd8ef6f2597e102c665e094a696ae3.jpeg

image.jpeg.d2948acc921f6a437cc7ffe8a6d4de34.jpeg

image.jpeg.b232c3b23623e941f3074259b14c2f4c.jpeg

Steve

I had a little set back that I feared was going to sink this paint job!

Upon inspection, I found a booger in the paint on the passengers side rear quarter.

When I tried to sand it out, it basically "picked out" right down to the primer! :o

This basically left a void in the paint that was the depth of several layers of paint that would have been very difficult to sand out, not to mention the variation in color after building the color through several coats.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to fix it, especially with the added problem of having about a third of an air brush cup of paint left before I ran out.

Well, I decided to try to tackle the issue by first dabbing some paint into the void several times with a brush in order to bring the level up to, and beyond, the surface.

Then I very lightly sanded the spot to try to level it back down to as level as possible with the surrounding surface without affecting too much of the surrounding area.

Then I loaded the cup and hit the spot and immediate surrounding area with several fairly heavy coats to try to blend the color, followed by lightly re-coating the entire side with one coat to blend the whole side.

I was very concerned that there would be enough color variation when compared to adjacent areas of the body that I would not be happy with the results, but it appears to be pretty good at this point.

I believe that I have enough paint left to hit the entire side one more time, and with any luck at all, enough to paint the hood hinges, which are the only remaining parts left to paint body color.

It's going to be tighter than tight!!

This was what I had at the point where the brush work was done, before sanding.

image.jpeg.053153dc3392a96cc4ab130a17c72201.jpeg

This is the point that I'm at now, with a possible single light coat on the whole side remaining.

image.jpeg.cca032410f947a4c8e125368e47a945f.jpeg

image.jpeg.5e34ec96d9af96a0927026b35876fac5.jpeg

This is what I have left for paint! :o

image.jpeg.c9b62c6c65c216e5731c966dd47fc46f.jpeg

Steve

8 minutes ago, absmiami said:

Don’t try your luck on a last paint coat - if you have another problem - you don’t have enough paint to correct it - on to the clear coat … looks great anyway ..

True, but I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to purchase more paint anyway, so if there's any more problems, I'll order more.

I want to do my best not to cut any corners on this project.

I have far too much time invested already.

Besides, I'm a risk taker! :lol:

Steve

Thanks everyone!

Tonight, I mustered the courage to begin laying out and spraying the bumblebee stripes.

The first portion went pretty well.

Thanks to my trusty Tamiya tape and Duplicolor black primer, they came out very cleanly.

Next, I will shoot on another coat of clear to seal and protect what has been done so far, and then the pickier task of laying out and painting the thin outer pin stripe will begin.

I think that my thought of doing these stripes in two separate sessions should make it easier to get them to look right, and will make them easier to do.

image.jpeg.e139d25e5d21c5b2aeb9bfef159a2319.jpeg

image.jpeg.2ec491deb3914cc5d592bc94eeb6eabc.jpeg

image.jpeg.c4df64d53635f0112e2666bd07750738.jpeg

image.jpeg.6f91dfaab02c963994c4a65c5d28e084.jpeg

image.jpeg.41cda62b2dfe9862c30e4e62c7e52dbe.jpeg

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic