Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 9/15/2020 at 4:29 AM, Deuces ll said:

I just heard on news that Hobby Lobby is going to raise their pay rate to 17 bucks an hour.... Not bad at all! If I was jobless, I'd probably take them up on it.... And work in the model section... ?

LOL.  There's no department employees ate assigned to. You're basically everywhere within the store. You could be stocking yarn, fake florals, or working the registers.?

3 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

LOL.  There's no department employees ate assigned to. You're basically everywhere within the store. You could be stocking yarn, fake florals, or working the registers.?

Yeah, but at least you would be there when a new shipment comes in and would get first choice.

On 9/21/2020 at 3:35 AM, mikemodeler said:

Right as hobbies have made a comeback during a pandemic and maybe brought some more people to model building? Their model section gets smaller as they bring in new stuff to sell along side of model kits. Five years ago you didn't have the tools and supplies that exist now at Hobby Lobby, things like Evergreen sheet, all of the different small tools and airbrush accessories and paints. Yes, they will have to do something about the Testors paints but I am guessing they will just carry whatever Testors offers, maybe they will add the Revell paints.

At the three stores in town the stuff that's crowding out the models isn't tools and paint etc.  its toys and BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH like that. If you go online to Hobbylobby.com you'll see the same old models, no new releases.  

Stopped by a Hobby Lobby to day and found that they're having a 40% off sale on all models. No coupon needed. I have no idea if this is everywhere but it may be worth checking it out in your location. I got the AMT '67 Chevelle Pro Street kit. Thank you Round 2. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Stopped by a Hobby Lobby to day and found that they're having a 40% off sale on all models. No coupon needed. I have no idea if this is everywhere but it may be worth checking it out in your location. I got the AMT '67 Chevelle Pro Street kit. Thank you Round 2. 

Yes, it's in their national ad, published in newspapers on Sunday.

12 hours ago, sfhess said:

Yes, it's in their national ad, published in newspapers on Sunday.

The local newspaper changed ownership a few years ago. We used to live in Sacramento and the local Kansas City Star was comparable to the Sacramento Bee that we had read for years. Under the new ownership of the Star it became a joke and we soon used it to replace the old Sears Catalog if you know what I mean. So we really don't have a newspaper around here anymore. 

Edited by espo

1 hour ago, espo said:

The local newspaper changed ownership a few years ago. We used to live in Sacramento and the local Kansas City Star was comparable to the Sacramento Bee that we had read for years. Under the new ownership of the Star it became a joke and we soon used it to replace the old Sears Catalog if you know what I mean. So we really don't have a newspaper around here anymore. 

Dropped The Bee 5-6 years ago. Way too expensive for (generally) poorly written stories about events that I read about on the internet days before and tons of ads. I think that is the "story" of most newspapers now.

2 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Dropped The Bee 5-6 years ago. Way too expensive for (generally) poorly written stories about events that I read about on the internet days before and tons of ads. I think that is the "story" of most newspapers now.

We left Sacramento in the summer of 1996 so we're out of touch as to what has happened there. Sorry to hear how the Bee has gone the way of so many other news sources. Now we're left with the Net and we all know how great that can and can't be as to what really is going on in our world.  

Stopped at the closest Hobby Lobby this morning.  "40% Off" signs were hanging all over the model aisle.  But the store only had one new kit, the MPC 1/8 scale Schwinn "Krate" bicycle.  It looked like they had re-stocked the Revell Land Rover and a couple of others.

I may have to hit the stores a little further away, before this sale ends.  Still looking for another "Supernatural" Impala.  

I stopped by one of the HL's near me( didnt got there for models kits) and left empty handed,  there were a lot holes in the kit section,  and they didnt have any gray poster board either( why I went there), no one seems to have any in my area. 

Edited by martinfan5

I picked up a few kits this week. I was talking to the cashier/manager & she told me that she thinks this is going to be a normal thing or as she put it "They will be in the sale rotation". 

Pay attention to the prices as well. I found a Revell '29 Roadster marked at $21.99 while the rest were $29.99, same with the '60 Chevrolet Pickup $24 vs $29.

24 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

I picked up a few kits this week. I was talking to the cashier/manager & she told me that she thinks this is going to be a normal thing or as she put it "They will be in the sale rotation". 

Pay attention to the prices as well. I found a Revell '29 Roadster marked at $21.99 while the rest were $29.99, same with the '60 Chevrolet Pickup $24 vs $29.

Yeah, I've been noticing that as well. Seems to me certain kits are priced differently to others. I always figure out how much the kit would be with 40% off regardless of regular price.

For example (before taxes applied if applicable in your state) 

$29.99 minus 40% equals to $17.99

$24.99 minus 40% equals to $14.99

$21.99 minus 40% equals to $13.19

I always figure out my cost with 40% applied even when there isn't a sale on model kits.

I went to the closest one after work today. The Easton, Pa. Store on Rt. 248. Lots of holes in the model car area. Looks like a bigger diecast area. Also a lot more non-car models. Military, planes and Gundam Robots. I got a Foose pickup and the new '64 Plymouth. I have seen a few people "retro" build the Foose pickup, I think I will do something along those lines and pull the wheels and engine to use in something else. I think the  '64 Plymouth will be done as a late 60's street machine when I get to building it in 2030 or so.....?

The HL pricing issue I think has to do with how long the kit has been on the shelf. For some reason in our area the Revell '69 Camaro Z-28 with the blue car on the box has been a slow mover. I have found a few at different stores marked $21.95 and others at $29.95. Same exact kit. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't mark up the old in stock kits to match the price of the new stock. I picked up just about all I could with the 40 % coupon that were marked at $21.95 and used them for parts. This was before the pricing that is in effect now. 

On the road on way to my next courier stop, a Hobby Lobby tractor trailer went by me heading to what I suspect my local HL. Since I was going to be on that end of town later tonight to pick up take out for dinner, my hopes went up. Sure enough, there was a open box in the models aisle. Picked through it and found nothing of my interest. My original intent was to pick up that lone Foose ‘53 Ford F100. My heart almost sank when I didn’t find it but there it was - moved to top row shelf space. No price sticker on it but later found it was $26.99 before 40% sale price. It has been a great day.

On 9/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, NYLIBUD said:

It’s weird I picked up a model of the Old Pro Nova Sat at Hobby Lobby.The car is now molded in black and has a new decal sheet.I lost track of how many times that model has been re,re,rereleased over the years.

9ADFAA89-D73F-440B-A96F-DA5512AEFA9C.jpeg

BDFD552E-8325-4459-BA15-9F1D9860ADF8.jpeg

Once was enough for me..... ??

On 9/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, NYLIBUD said:

It’s weird I picked up a model of the Old Pro Nova Sat at Hobby Lobby.The car is now molded in black and has a new decal sheet.I lost track of how many times that model has been re,re,rereleased over the years.

9ADFAA89-D73F-440B-A96F-DA5512AEFA9C.jpeg

BDFD552E-8325-4459-BA15-9F1D9860ADF8.jpeg

I have one from the late 80’s that is molded in black also....

Hi!

We don't enjoy HL in Canada, to my knowledge, at least certainly not in the province of Quebec. My last shopping at HL took place in Glenn Falls, NY, 2 years ago. They had a limited selection of kits (mostly Revell's), but mucho accessories (sanding and polishing pads, airbrush accessories, etc.). 

I have two Michael's stores within 10 minutes of my home, and their coupon policy can be very advantageous if you play it well. Their selection of kits (mostly Revell's) is limited in scope, and they lag behind as far of shelving new releases, in my experience. The whole Testor's One coat /Extreme lacquer displays were clearanced, and even yesterday, no news as to what will replace them. 

I would bet a buck on Revell's new paint line, judging from their domination of the kit section...

CT

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

have two Michael's stores within 10 minutes of my home, and their coupon policy can be very advantageous if you play it well.

I’ve had some great luck with Michael’s coupons in the past - they sent me a ‘60% off any item’ one late last year, which they let me use multiple times on the same shopping trip, thanks to a friendly cashier who said “my register will let you use this a couple more times today if you’re fast”.  Got three kits for about $10 each before I left that day.

That said, recently their standard 40% off coupon has been replaced with a 20% off one, and the Michael’s by me has stopped accepting Hobby Lobby coupons as a price match.  Now I have the luxury of having a HL nearby I prefer them anyway, but with the lesser-discount coupon that Michael’s has now my wife (a professional watercolor artist) and I have both been habitually heading to the Lobby instead knowing that their range is a little better and the price will be better too...

Edited by CabDriver