Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 7/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Normally those wind up on the clearance shelf for $10 or so.

I thought a bout asking on the price then realized I didn't much have an interest in a Saturn Rocket.  Still looked to be marked at full price.  

23 hours ago, CabDriver said:

It's worth checking those returned kits if you're interested in buying them for parts...Hobby Lobby staff don't generally know enough about what SHOULD be in the box to know what's missing.

I picked up a Revell foxbody Mustang that was supposedly only missing the tires (no biggie, I have tires) and 3/4 of the kit was gone when I opened it...someone pillaged the box for stuff they wanted apparently and then returned it for a refund

Ouch.  Not sure how many actual pieces go into a rocket model but can't imagine that any missing wouldn't have a major affect on the outcome.  

If you like the occasional gamble, the opened kits are as good as any.  Years ago, the hobby wholesaler in my area had Saturday sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  They'd sell off the returns and other stuff sitting in the warehouse (including prior years' annual kits).  The returns would often have both end panels torn off of the box lid (they'd get credit from the manufacturer) and sell off the kit to recover some of their shipping costs.  I went as often as I could, and spent as much as I could...more often than not, the kits were complete.  People likely bought kits and returned them intact if what they saw when they opened the box was more "work" than they expected, or wanted to bother with.  There was the occasional returned unsuccessful build attempt, but those were pretty easy to spot.

11 hours ago, slusher said:

If I buy a marked down kit, I will inspect it at an empty register after I pay 💰 too make sure I’m getting my money’s worth or what’s missing is what’s missing. Never take it outside..

Why not inspect it first at an empty register before paying for it? have an employee watch you as a witness. I would have done that first.

15 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Why not inspect it first at an empty register before paying for it? have an employee watch you as a witness. I would have done that first.

So far I have had no troubles but your way would work also. Most of the time only one set of wheels are missing..

I picked up the Revell T-Roadster at Hobby Lobby a few years ago.  Someone had carefully cut two connecting corners of the bottom of the box and removed the T Body; the factory cellophane was still on the box.  Got a gold mine of parts for $11.  Used to go to Michael's quite frequently and look through their shelves, thieves would open a kit remove parts, and put it back on the shelf behind other kits.  Anytime I saw one of these kits I would find a worker and have them watch me open it.  I got a few full kits for 1/2 price.  Did get burned on one, a '67 Chevelle kit, looked to be complete missing tires.  Got it home and they had taken the engine parts except for manifold, wheels, and front/rear bumper-grille pieces. Still should be able to build it into a fairly nice short-tracker - I have plenty of NASCAR kits for parts.  But, I sure do miss that 40% coupon.

Edited by TarheelRick

I do miss the 40% coupon. and they're getting less of my money now. It's nice to have the 40% off every other week, but most of the time over the last 8-10 years when i didn't get a kit I would almost always walk out with something else, especially their very nice display cases.

Last few years (even before Covid) their turnover of kits has been very slow. I think whoever is doing the buying is asleep at the wheel because there have been lots of releases that never hit their shelves (even if you factor in their desire to mostly offer kits with higher name recognition so they can market to the impulse buyers and people just looking for gifts for others)

3 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Yeah, maybe if they would get some kits that haven't been sitting on their shelves for the last 3 or 4 years.

This is keeping the stock moving and I see a different kit when I go, may not be what I want but it’s starting too mix it up some..

I've seen a few new models hit the shelf's but pretty much the same old stuff.  When I do see something new it's never there when I get there.  I ask the lady at the check out about their ads and she told me they have nothing to do with the ads.  It's all handled by the big boys. 

First I think that HL dropped the 40% coupon becuase it wasn't generating the revenue they expected. The idea is to make a little money on one item and hope you buy more than that. With the 40% off kits they are hoping you will buy paint and supplies.

I think the selection is dependent on how they buy. If they buy once a year then the selection won't change much during the year. Also with the disruption in shipping due to covid may be another factor. 

39 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I think the selection is dependent on how they buy. If they buy once a year then the selection won't change much during the year. Also with the disruption in shipping due to covid may be another factor. 

I think the “how they buy” is the same way they sell on the website… plastic model kits, assorted styles.  I don’t believe they have anyone kit savvy on their staff. 

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I think the “how they buy” is the same way they sell on the website… plastic model kits, assorted styles.  I don’t believe they have anyone kit savvy on their staff. 

According to the department manager I talked to they put up what is sent. She didn’t have any model knowledge  really.

4 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Checked my local HL and there is nothing new, and only a very few Revell kits on the shelves. And it almost looks like the car area has shrunk a bit. 

Revell kits at my hobby lobby is  the 68 Charger, 71 Cuda, Volkswagen ,  65  Foose Impala, Peterbilt and Kenworth snap kits, Range Rover.  That’s pretty much it.

10 hours ago, slusher said:

According to the department manager I talked to they put up what is sent. She didn’t have any model knowledge  really.

at the store level there is zero knowledge.  Funny thing, I knew a modeler who got a job at HL and offered to help... zero interest!  Models are just another craft item to them.  

Same at the corporate level.  I doubt they have anyone knowledgeable. As I said earlier, their contracts with kit manufacturers probably just require an assortment.  Sad for HL is that they have missed a grand opportunity.  All they need is a knowledgeable person like an Ed Sexton to lead that department's strategy globally and they could kick ass since they have stores all over!   

13 hours ago, slusher said:

Revell kits at my hobby lobby is  the 68 Charger, 71 Cuda, Volkswagen ,  65  Foose Impala, Peterbilt and Kenworth snap kits, Range Rover.  That’s pretty much it.

Well, it seems your HL is way better stocked than mine. 

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

at the store level there is zero knowledge.  Funny thing, I knew a modeler who got a job at HL and offered to help... zero interest!  Models are just another craft item to them.  

Same at the corporate level.  I doubt they have anyone knowledgeable. As I said earlier, their contracts with kit manufacturers probably just require an assortment.  Sad for HL is that they have missed a grand opportunity.  All they need is a knowledgeable person like an Ed Sexton to lead that department's strategy globally and they could kick ass since they have stores all over!   

Model kits at HL might as well be candy at the check out aisle, an impulse type of buy for most. Only a few of us are really concerned with what they carry, most folks are not. I have helped someone in that aisle quite a few times to pick out a model for someone else. And most of the time they will just buy a diecast instead. 

As you plainly stated, they are just another Craft item to them. 

On 8/4/2021 at 5:23 PM, Classicgas said:

I still say 40% off every kit one to two weeks a month is better than 40% off one kit.

Sure, if you're planning to buy multiple kits at a time. 

I'd love to buy multiple kits at time, but they're sure making it hard with their stagnant selection the last couple years (even pre-covid)

2 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I'd love to buy multiple kits at time, but they're sure making it hard with their stagnant selection the last couple years (even pre-covid)

I can only think of one time I bought two kits.  Having a golden ticket with 40% off on everything in the store all the time was more valuable to me!

• Like 1