Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

28 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Although a big deal in our herd, I don’t believe that’s universal. I met a lot of people in the store who weren’t even aware of the coupon.  

i am going to be honest, i prefer the every other week discount over the coupon. just last week i got 2 kits on sale. had i had to use the coupon, i would have only bought 1

34 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I agree. I'd rather wait a week or two and be able to get every kit at 40% not just one.

For me it’s more for supplies than kits. And there have been no discounts on supplies.

I have more than enough kits and older versions of everything currently on the shelves that I want.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

For me it’s more for supplies than kits. And there have been no discounts on supplies.

I have more than enough kits and older versions of everything currently on the shelves that I want.

I agree with Tom, I used the coupon on supplies and paint because Hobby Lobby does not get many new kits. My wife bought 2 kits for me this year one. Was the Dodge pickup they just got and the Bond Mustang all on her own..

12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Although a big deal in our herd, I don’t believe that’s universal. I met a lot of people in the store who weren’t even aware of the coupon.  

Back when I printed 40% off I'd print extra and hand them to anyone in the model isle.....99.999% of the people did not know about it. 

I hate the loss of the 40% as I will never get supplies at a deal.....but Hobby Lobby knows what they are doing......still making $$$

3 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Back when I printed 40% off I'd print extra and hand them to anyone in the model isle.....99.999% of the people did not know about it. 

I had the coupon bookmarked on my phone.  When I went in the store I would always buy something.  An extra can of Testors Dullcote, a pack of Evergreen or one aisle over I’d buy binder pages for my stamp collection.

And if the cash register line was too long, I made sure everyone on that line knew about the coupon😀

54 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I had the coupon bookmarked on my phone.  When I went in the store I would always buy something.  An extra can of Testors Dullcote, a pack of Evergreen or one aisle over I’d buy binder pages for my stamp collection.

And if the cash register line was too long, I made sure everyone on that line knew about the coupon😀

Same here.......my go to was 'Flex-i-file' glue, paint or Tamiya masking tape. Always something. Last 2 visits I left with zero. 

Went to mine today. The Model Masters were on sale, but very picked over and not much left. Even worse, the store morons had removed the label tags from the rack! :angry: I had to sit on the floor and look at every remaining bottle and can, one by one. No MM lacquers of any kind left. I did get one can of Blue Angel Blue enamel, and eventually found 8 bottles that might be useful for something. Total was $10.06 including tax. Only marginally worth the trip. 

Edited by Snake45

I got lucky at Hobby Lobby yesterday at a couple different locations, and picked up a several cans and bottles including a can of metallizer aluminum plate. Got out again today to drive around and check out a few more locations (we have 11 Hobby Lobby's in the valley) but after hitting a couple more it was pretty clear my fellow modelers in the valley had also heard the news and grabbed most of the stock up. I do not begrudge the. At 75% off, $1.57 for the spray cans and .99 cents for the bottle, smoking deal.

I went on their website last night around 5p Eastern time looking for the AutoCar dump truck (local stores stock of one each was gone) as they were offering free shipping over $50.  They were not offering the 40% off on models?  Oh well....I can wait a couple more weeks for the in store sale and stock to be replenished.  

When the store has the 40%off the website does too. But beware,  some kits are sold in like subject matter lots and they pick what you get.  Example,  I ordered a Subaru Brat, it was paired on the website with the Toyota  4x4 snap kit. Didn't get the Subaru. 

Report from Prescott Valley:  Model club friend called to say Model Master was marked down to 99 cents.  The only color I usually get was classic white, but got 9 bottles of colors that could work.

I didn't bother looking at kits, never is anything I want anyway.

Edited by 89AKurt

On 5/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, Dave Van said:

I hate the loss of the 40% as I will never get supplies at a deal.....but Hobby Lobby knows what they are doing......still making $$$

While I lament the loss of the coupon to use on supplies, it has been encouraging to see them add stuff like Evergreen plastic and K&S tubing.  Without a real hobby shop in the Charlotte area, it's been a struggle to get scratch building supplies without shopping online. 

As far as HL making money? Yeah, I kinda want them to do that so we don't lose our last local source of hobby stuff, and all of us should. Most of the hobby stores I knew that closed were because of a lack of ownership succession as the owner got to retirement age. Sure, some were mismanaged and closed because of their own doing, but many were unable to find a buyer for the business. Look at the Modelhaus- great product but who wants to work the long hours to make money?

Side note: Hard to believe Charlotte still without a regular hobby shop. 

Back in the day I could spend a day off visiting the many shops from Monroe to Gastonia. 

Modelers Hobby, Science Hobby, Action/Whistle Stop and even our shop Deb's Model Car......how does a city that big with that much $$$$ not have a shop? 

2 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Side note: Hard to believe Charlotte still without a regular hobby shop. 

Back in the day I could spend a day off visiting the many shops from Monroe to Gastonia. 

Modelers Hobby, Science Hobby, Action/Whistle Stop and even our shop Deb's Model Car......how does a city that big with that much $$$$ not have a shop? 

The owner of HTUSA in Mooresville is supposedly bringing a HTUSA here to Charlotte this year, but if it's like his Mooresville store, it will be heavily concentrated on R/C. I'm just guessing but I would say the low margins, competing with the internet and HL are all big factors in why local hobby shops have disappeared here.

Had to pick up some auto parts today and drove the 2 hors....so went by Hobby Lobby while there. The lady was just finished marking the Testors spray cans to $1.57. I got first pick. Not a big Testors fan any longer but at this price I bought 15 cans for about $22.....good deal. 

Mike: I was in the Mooresville store in 2019, last visit to Charlotte area (Roval Race) it IS heavy RC....but I know a lot of NASCAR drivers, crew are into the R/C thing.....and Go Karts!

Never been blown away by HTUSA.....we were asked to join way back when the franchise first started. We saw no benefits.