Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

EBC8951D-6EBD-4504-BCB1-0BFB7EF46346.thumb.jpeg.2dcfa59dd6a076918dd2a44d6226dfee.jpeg

Swung by HL today.. Testors rack pulled out and they just spread out some supplies to fill the space.

They had the whole aisle pulled apart and I asked a manager about paint.. he had no idea of anytime being added, but said management changes their mind all the time. I didn’t ask for the rack, wouldn’t work for me.

85FC1972-8974-4717-81DB-8393384DBAFB.jpeg.4f7aa5d27945d5b1864148ab078423ea.jpeg

I found this one in the clearance area.. $7.49.. box dented and missing the oars. Still worth the few dollars. I had a tear drop trailer like this years ago.

852A0AFA-C671-452A-8B6B-2126118E58C0.jpeg.aee095942e1b1edcd75364253a5b36cf.jpeg

Just be Hankful! 

The HL stores around here usually sell the racks.  The hobby shop that closed a few years ago used to sell them too.  Never bought one as I wanted a rack that would hold the tall touch-up spray cans (never got one of those either).

23 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

They gave me cash.

They wouldn’t do that for me. If I wanted a refund. They said the person I spoke to on their website number should have offered to send me a label to send it back. They didn’t even mention that option to me. But told me to take it to one of their stores.  So I did. And the store in Albany NY would only give me a store credit. I think it all depends on who you are dealing with. And I’m always nice to people so it wasn’t like I was being a jerk or anything.

Edited by ewetwo

I've asked two different HL store managers what if anything they are bringing in to replace the Model Master line. Both said they didn't know. I don't see Tamiya being a choice - at least around here Tamiya products have been replaced with Mr. hobby stuff.

I bought all the paint & styrene/K&S racks when a local HobbyTown went out of business. The paint rack was a tremendous dust collector. Ended up giving it away. Kept the Plastruct and K&S racks tho.

13 hours ago, ewetwo said:

They wouldn’t do that for me. If I wanted a refund. They said the person I spoke to on their website number should have offered to send me a label to send it back. They didn’t even mention that option to me. But told me to take it to one of their stores.  So I did. And the store in Albany NY would only give me a store credit. I think it all depends on who you are dealing with. And I’m always nice to people so it wasn’t like I was being a jerk or anything.

Yeah I agree. The online store refused to send a return label as well. In fact she was pretty nasty about the whole deal. I think expecting people to take whatever kit they send when you clicked on a specific kit is asinine.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, Tom Geiger said:

EBC8951D-6EBD-4504-BCB1-0BFB7EF46346.thumb.jpeg.2dcfa59dd6a076918dd2a44d6226dfee.jpeg

Swung by HL today.. Testors rack pulled out and they just spread out some supplies to fill the space.

They had the whole aisle pulled apart and I asked a manager about paint.. he had no idea of anytime being added, but said management changes their mind all the time. I didn’t ask for the rack, wouldn’t work for me.

85FC1972-8974-4717-81DB-8393384DBAFB.jpeg.4f7aa5d27945d5b1864148ab078423ea.jpeg

I found this one in the clearance area.. $7.49.. box dented and missing the oars. Still worth the few dollars. I had a tear drop trailer like this years ago.

likely removed by someone that didn't have both of their oars in the water......LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in the local HL today and noticed they took out the racks for Model Master and condensed the regular Testors bottle & sprays. Leads me to believe they're not bringing in another paint line.

On the kit side of the aisle they took out a 2ft section from each level of shelves vertically and the space was empty. This was right between the car kits and military stuff.  It'll be interesting what they put there. Since they did away with the 40% off coupon I seldom trade there anymore. 

After going to a Cars & Coffee show, stopped by the Hobby Lobby not expecting much.  Rarely ever see more than one or two of a kit, but grabbed all three of the PL Coca-Cola VW's.  I want to do one my late father brought back from Germany after he got out of the Air Force and another he had that he tinkered with in my grade school years.  

I came close to pulling the trigger to buying the Auto World 76 Cadillac, but without the 40% off coupon I just can't pull the trigger on $10 for 1/64 car.  I'll wait until it shows up at a mass retailer at $5-$6.

PL Bug Coke.jpg

Edited by HomerS

I went to HL yesterday as the 40% off sale was going on but didn't see anything I liked.  Same ole kits they always have and it looked like someone had already been there and picked up some of the favorites. I would have bought another 56 Ford Foose truck but they were all gone.  Never been to Michael's so I stopped by and they only had a had full of kits and nothing I liked.  $30 for a kit was out of my pay grade anyway.  Probably won't go back there.  I did see the Model Masters paint rack setting to the side with all the orange sale stickers on the bottles and spray cans.   

20210522_115949.jpg

20210522_115954.jpg

20210522_115958.jpg

13 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Stopped in the local HL today and noticed they took out the racks for Model Master and condensed the regular Testors bottle & sprays. Leads me to believe they're not bringing in another paint line.

On the kit side of the aisle they took out a 2ft section from each level of shelves vertically and the space was empty. This was right between the car kits and military stuff.  It'll be interesting what they put there. Since they did away with the 40% off coupon I seldom trade there anymore. 

40% off multiple kits is a better deal than 40% off one.

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

My wife sent me this pic this week and asked if I wanted it - heck yes!

5CA9592B-686F-48B9-A55A-C7F746EB4CC8.thumb.jpeg.36b8eae3729998750a69272ae392193c.jpeg

They just got those Polar Lights Beetle kits at my local store too - they have those AND the Revell kit (which I have already)...how do you like that Polar Lights kits kit @HomerS?  

I've not opened the VW kit but have build their 2004 GTO and the Ford GT.  Lots of detail, especially for a snap kit.  No flash not fit issues

15 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I don’t know what to expect when I go back to mine. I haven’t been there in over a month..

10 hours ago, CabDriver said:

My wife sent me this pic this week and asked if I wanted it - heck yes!

5CA9592B-686F-48B9-A55A-C7F746EB4CC8.thumb.jpeg.36b8eae3729998750a69272ae392193c.jpeg

They just got those Polar Lights Beetle kits at my local store too - they have those AND the Revell kit (which I have already)...how do you like that Polar Lights kits kit @HomerS?  

That will be great for your man cave.. you have a thoughtful wife..

They continue to 'tweak'  the model section on their website....and not in a good way.  They used to have the Coca Cola model of the Cameo truck or the VW Bug, but if you order on line you had to call them and tell them which one you wanted.  (Sorta defeats the purpose of doing it on-line).  Now, it appears to be whatever they have an abundance of or easiest to grab when filling your order.....

While you may want the Supernatural Impala, they grab the Galaxie police car or the Bond Mustang.....

The picture of the larger scale 1/16 '55 Bel Air convertible, you may get the Trans Am.....

Ford Lightning.....you may get the '53 F100

41 minutes ago, HomerS said:

They continue to 'tweak'  the model section on their website....and not in a good way.  They used to have the Coca Cola model of the Cameo truck or the VW Bug, but if you order on line you had to call them and tell them which one you wanted.  (Sorta defeats the purpose of doing it on-line).  Now, it appears to be whatever they have an abundance of or easiest to grab when filling your order.....

While you may want the Supernatural Impala, they grab the Galaxie police car or the Bond Mustang.....

The picture of the larger scale 1/16 '55 Bel Air convertible, you may get the Trans Am.....

yeah. I ordered a Subaru Brat and got a snap toyota 4x4. Bullshirt way of doing business.

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

What do you expect from the string,twigs, and beads set. I've for many years said that HL is not a hobby shop as we see them to be. They are an overpriced Micheal's.

36 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

What do you expect from the string,twigs, and beads set. I've for many years said that HL is not a hobby shop as we see them to be. They are an overpriced Micheal's.

the last time i went to michaels for a model, they had literally 2 automotive models. just 2. this might have been accurate 10 years ago, but the michaels by me, at least, is garbage for models

went to Hobby Lobby Yesterday and they had some Model Master spray cans marked down too 62 cents. I went try them and found 4 colors I use for interiors and was 4 bottles of grey left of something I don’t use.  Kits are stocked up for next week. I went for some paint..

3 hours ago, slusher said:

went to Hobby Lobby Yesterday and they had some Model Master spray cans marked down too 62 cents. I went try them and found 4 colors I use for interiors and was 4 bottles of grey left of something I don’t use.  Kits are stocked up for next week. I went for some paint..

Wow Carl, 62 cents.  I sure wonder if they will add a line of model paints.