Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Kits of Old Subjects from Round2

10 hours ago, Casey said:

That engine, while interesting, might be better left out. Only a '67-'69 Firebird could utilize it stock, and I don't see a '66-7 Pontiac Tempest being all that popular.

More info on the Pontiac OHC-6 here:

The 68 Tempest used the OHC 6, don't know if the 69 did, But those cars also would make use of that in some builder's minds. I know I would. Had a friend who had a 68 Tempest and he let me drive it at times. Loved that little six.

Interesting topic Casey and one which I've been advocating since Round-2 took over full ownership of the Amt/mpc legacy and hardware

The subject matter I would choose:.

- '71-'76 Pontiac Firebirds

- '68-'69 Dodge Coronet

- '70-'71 Plymouth 'Cuda

- '70-'71 Dodge Challenger

- 71-'72 Plymouth Roadrunner

- '72-'76 Dodge Tradesman Van

Updated promo style (separate hoods, clear head and tail-lamps) and all shut-panel lines engraved, would be even better if they would do the interior bckets with separate side-panels snap styles, but that's probably pushing it ;)

• Like 1

I think the ‘68 and ‘69 Dodge Coronets are the best bets I have seen in this thread so far. I have suggested something like this before for that subject. Round 2 could use the ‘70 body tool as a basis, create new tools for the ‘68 and ‘69 bodies, and while they are at it, massage a few areas that were not very accurate the first time around (mostly the grilles). 

They could tool up multiple hood options, and make the bodies so that they could offer new variants- like the ‘68 and ‘69 Super Bees. 

They could of course use the chassis and engine from the ‘70 Super Bee/ ‘69 GTX- between those kits, they have offered 440 4-Bbl (which could easily stand in for a 383), 440 Six Pack, and Hemi engines. 

Add one of their excellent retro boxes and decal packages, perhaps offer a single racing option (maybe a Dick Landy ‘68 R/T 440 for example), and they could have a winner. 

The MPC ‘71 Demon also represents a great opportunity. The best path here might be to do a new body, interior and dash for the MPC ‘76 Dart Sport kit. Rather than recreate the original Demon body, they could work on the areas that were incorrect the first time (the wheelhouses were Duster- style the first time around, I believe), and offer the correct body for the first time. I think re-engineering the AMT ‘71 Duster might be trickier. I’d like to know whatever happened to that project- I think Round 2 was working on converting the AMT ‘71 Duster to a Demon some years ago, so I wonder if they hit some hurdles that prevented them from making that happen. 

I'd love to see any of the old Craftsman kits from the past. #1 on my list. The Craftsman '57 Thunderbird. There are a few differences between it and the non-Craftsman kit with the engine, that interests me. But, with the regular kit being reissued on fairly a regular basis over the years, I doubt if the Craftsman version has much of a chance of ever being seen again. Other curbside Craftsman kits I'd like to see and would buy? The '59 Buick, '59 Edsel and '59 Ford. I can't remember for sure, but I think there was a Craftsman kit of a '59 Mercury too? Another one high on my list would be the Craftsman '64 Corvair kit. Plus, let's not forget the '66 Skylark and '63 Falcon convertible. 

Interesting talk about the '68 and '69 Coronets. With Monogram's old '69 Super Bee coming back soon, that will satisfy my need for a '69. But, if either of MPC's old  '68 or '69 Coronets, especially with the trailer, ever comes back, there goes money from my wallet. 

1971 Demon. How many years have I been waiting for that one? Didn't Round 2 tell us that was coming shortly after they took over the molds from RC2? 

I'd also like to a early second generation Firebird Formula. 1970 - 1973. And a Formula, not a Trans Am. Again, Monogram/Revell has offered us a pretty good '70 Trans Am over the years. I've always liked the Formulas look better, and miss those early MPC versions more. 

Last, I'd love to see any of the Modified Stocks be brought back to their original "stock" form. I cry when I think about what the old AMT company did to the '65 Olds, '65 Fairlane, '66 Skylark, and '69 Falcon back in the early 70's. 

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

The MPC ‘71 Demon also represents a great opportunity. The best path here might be to do a new body, interior and dash for the MPC ‘76 Dart Sport kit. Rather than recreate the original Demon body, they could work on the areas that were incorrect the first time (the wheelhouses were Duster- style the first time around, I believe), and offer the correct body for the first time. I think re-engineering the AMT ‘71 Duster might be trickier. I’d like to know whatever happened to that project- I think Round 2 was working on converting the AMT ‘71 Duster to a Demon some years ago, so I wonder if they hit some hurdles that prevented them from making that happen. 

Announced-then-cancelled some 7 or 8 years ago ; can't recall as to why it was aborted . 

The AMT 1971 Duster 340 isn't without its faults ( wipers are Palmer-esque ; glass is a poor-fit , etc. ) , but could be reworked into a Demon .

'58 Buick Roadmaster

'58 Ford

'58 Pontiac

'58 Olds

'59 Ford

[Detecting a trend?]

'60 Mercury

'60 Chevy Kingswood station wagon

'60 Corvair

Early '60's Ford unibody pickups

'61 or '62 (which was it?) Olds F85 station wagon

'62 Pontiac Tempest

. . . just to name a few that jump to mind.

??

16 hours ago, Danno said:

'62 Pontiac Tempest

Add the ‘63 Tempest hardtop. As with the Falcons, though, is there much interest in early sixties Tempests?  I like them a lot, so I’m biased, but not sure of general appeal. And it’s a one and done as far as years go - way different than the ‘62, quite different from a ‘64, and two versions of the ‘64 Goat have been done, so, guess I’m not a good salesman - I just talked myself out of the idea.

The annual isn’t impossible to get, but not easy, or cheap. 

I have never had the Funny Farmer version, so not sure what was changed. 

There would be options for different versions of the ‘63:

FD9408A2-2BBC-47DF-8C6F-5818752D011B.jpeg

4D51D377-E033-41A7-9F6D-6D22687EE4EB.jpeg

Erik,

All of your arguments [against your '63 Tempest suggestion] are pretty much the same arguments one might make against the '63 Chevy II station wagon, yet, look at all the excitement it has generated.   And, even some of the people who were less than enthusiastic when it was announced, have now seen the built-up early production sample and have changed their minds. 

Who is to say exactly which suggestion will be a dead-bang winner and which will be a bust? 

Only sales will tell for certain.

??

Broken record time: how about at least a freshening if not a replacement for the long-in-tooth AMT Cobra kit?  It actually is a 260 Cobra and dates from 1963(?).  So many options (USRRC, FIA, "secretary's car" with white walls and spokes-don't get mad at the thought, it was marketed as such though they probably implied "rich guy's girlfriend").  They've had licensing from like-forever.  There are Ford 289 molds throughout their inventory including the 1967 Shelby GT-350.  Plus a multi-generational customer base.  So easy for me to spend their money.

I'd definitely be buyer if a Jeep XJ was ever released, by any manufacturer. I could see a couple oif those on my shelf.

I think I'd most want to see some re-pops or re-tools of the GMT400 series of GM trucks. The C1500 454SS kit, the C3500 duallie snap kit, the C1500 long box reg cab. 

Could easily do anything from simple snap kits to full detail kits, and I think these would just make sense, when you look at how popular and common some of the previous generations of GM truck have been.

If they could change that extended cab duallie snapper into a full detail K series crewcab, that would be even better.

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Erik,

All of your arguments [against your '63 Tempest suggestion] are pretty much the same arguments one might make against the '63 Chevy II station wagon, yet, look at all the excitement it has generated.   And, even some of the people who were less than enthusiastic when it was announced, have now seen the built-up early production sample and have changed their minds. 

Who is to say exactly which suggestion will be a dead-bang winner and which will be a bust? 

Only sales will tell for certain.

??

True. Never thought the ‘63 wagon would get “remade”.

The Wynn ‘63 Tempest super duty has a pretty cool story to go with it too - real deal barn find auction on eBay that started at $500 and sold for $220k. AMT has the ‘62 Catalina engine that I believe would work in the drag car. 
It’s in my decades long list of models to build.

I have an old AMT '63 Tempest kit that I started many years ago. I regrettably removed the B pillar  thinking at the time it would look better. I was wrong then and I think if I get after this one someday I would replace that. 

I was at a local hobby shop today and was reminded of another AMT kit that met a “stocker” demise, and one I would like to see turned back to stock: 1965 Ford Fairlane. The stocker was released recently, and the annual kits are one of the more difficult to get. A grill alone sold recently on eBay for $41. So, maybe AMT could just release the grill! The ‘65 was kind of a homely year for the Fairlane, but still likable. There were a couple cool original boxes to recreate the art work too.

4D4FA7B6-FE5C-4017-B183-A72E3BC1392D.jpeg

78081843-659A-4363-8C0C-9B4CDFA7A4B9.jpeg

3A79AD19-E6E5-4A4F-9931-52A5BAA58756.jpeg

2F128838-4210-4DBA-BA6A-31DB0688A22D.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

I was at a local hobby shop today and was reminded of another AMT kit that met a “stocker” demise, and one I would like to see turned back to stock: 1965 Ford Fairlane. The stocker was released recently, and the annual kits are one of the more difficult to get. A grill alone sold recently on eBay for $41. So, maybe AMT could just release the grill! The ‘65 was kind of a homely year for the Fairlane, but still likable. There were a couple cool original boxes to recreate the art work too.

4D4FA7B6-FE5C-4017-B183-A72E3BC1392D.jpeg

78081843-659A-4363-8C0C-9B4CDFA7A4B9.jpeg

3A79AD19-E6E5-4A4F-9931-52A5BAA58756.jpeg

2F128838-4210-4DBA-BA6A-31DB0688A22D.jpeg

If you are patient, it is possible to drill out the flattened headlamp areas in the Modified Stocker bumper, and put headlamps in again.  Of course that does nothing about the body, or lost parts like the taillights.

The bottom two box art pictures are different panels of the same box.  Prior to the Modified Stocker, only the annual and that 1969 "SSS" version were issued.  The latter has some changes, including a switch from compact car tires to Polyglas tires.  The stock wheel covers are larger in the SSS issue.

I’d like to see the AMT 1964 Falcon Funny Car re issued. The MPC 1969 Firebird OHC 6 Hood restored and the kit reissued with nice Trans Am decals. Maybe re tool a 67 body and seats. My biggest wish list is to see the “Wild Dream “ and “ Uncertain T” double kit re issued, if it still exists. Anyone know if it does ? Another easy one is the Mod Rod retooled for an original “Ala Kart” just needs sone engine parts. Radiator and front cowling, and exhaust parts. Plus a nice decal sheet. The AMT ERTL version is a disaster with a 1/32 scale engine, skinny exhaust pipes and incorrect decals.

Edited by Eric T
Typo

1 hour ago, Deuces ll said:

41 scheckles for a model car bumper????.... That's insane!... ??

It takes two to bid that up into the stratosphere!  ?

Seller started it at $9.99, one bid $40, so the other guy may have even gone higher.

Same seller has other 65 Fairlane parts with some healthy bids on them..  including parts that are in the new Modified Stocker release.. for more than the entire kit will cost ya!

Mine are fairly simple.... Bodies for 65/66 Mustang fastback. 69 Torino Hardtop, 61 Starliner, 67 Mustang Coupe,  correct bed for the Firestone truck......ect

Retool a few older kit suspensions. (63/64 Chevy, 63 Galaxie, 69 Riviera, 66 Mustang. 73 Mustang, 72 Chevy truck ect)

All these mentioned and more could be done as new kits with parts from existing kits

My 2 cents

On 12/11/2020 at 5:50 PM, Joe Handley said:

I still want a XJ Cherokee in styrene, about the only thing older that the XJ I’d be interested in at this point would be a Tucker 48.

On 12/13/2020 at 12:04 AM, Doug 1061 said:

I'm with you on the XJ. Surprised no one ever kitted them up.  You would think it would be a good seller.

I too am surprised it hasn’t been kitted. Besides the CJ, it probably had the longest production run of any Jeep vehicle. I had a stock ‘94 and loved it. I would definitely buy the kit.

Edited by NOBLNG

On 12/13/2020 at 9:31 PM, Danno said:

'60 Chevy Kingswood station wagon

. . . just to name a few that jump to mind.

??

Perhaps you mean this Nomad. This is the Craftsman kit which I bought as you see it, built and apparently taken for a spin in the mud, but well preserved nevertheless:

thumb_IMG_2953_1024-vi.jpg