Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘66 Olds El Camino, Olds El Cutlassino , hmmmmm

Glad my 442 camino build was helpful! It was a very enjoyable conversion,  I had a bunch of help getting the color choice perfect and the body to flow 

Your doing a gorgeous job on yours too , really enjoying how its coming together

Man that engine ...absolutely stellar work ! Adding those linkages and lines really makes it come alive 

Howd you get the rear end sitting so low ? Mine always has that jacked up look , always wanted it sitting lower in the back..the one annoying area I had  

Edited by gotnitro?

22 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Glad my 442 camino build was helpful! It was a very enjoyable conversion,  I had a bunch of help getting the color choice perfect and the body to flow 

Your doing a gorgeous job on yours too , really enjoying how its coming together

Man that engine ...absolutely stellar work ! Adding those linkages and lines really makes it come alive 

Howd you get the rear end sitting so low ? Mine always has that jacked up look , always wanted it sitting lower in the back..the one annoying area I had  

Hi Jeff !  Thanks again for inspiration, and for the kind words, much appreciated. I must admit, I’m really pleased with the engine, I owe Dennis Lacy a big thank you for sharing his “recipe” for the cast aluminum colour on the carbs. 
For the ride height, a combination of removing material from the top and bottom of the bed sides and inner tailgate to allow the body to sit a bit lower. Removing a bit from the tabs where the frame mounts to the bottom of the bed. A millimetre here, half a millimetre there, eventually adds up! Full disclosure on the rear suspension, the diff pot is resting on the bed floor... think deflated air bags!! A bit cheeky but it gives the desired ride height. I forget which chassis you used on yours, I used the Elky chassis, so may be quite different from the platform you used? Achieving the low stance I like on my builds does at times create wayyyyyyy too much fiddling, worth it in the end though.

I got the final colour coat on, foiled it, and cleared it. The colour is starting to get some depth now. Hoping to have it polished in a couple of days, then it should really pop. First time using Mr. Hobby clear, I’m no expert but very pleased with how it went on. 
013C1E03-9343-4044-B0CC-C5EF2F31E1E9.thumb.jpeg.454294d440f204cd4c78b83461a4d8e0.jpeg

92AA204F-79ED-42AB-BB83-6E069D12C37C.thumb.jpeg.984bb36ead3f8a0d6d9de7cf9144076a.jpeg

Looking forward to getting this thing all together. Still have my fingers crossed that engine tucks under the hood.... 

Thanks for looking.

21 hours ago, Steve H said:

I got the final colour coat on, foiled it, and cleared it. The colour is starting to get some depth now. Hoping to have it polished in a couple of days, then it should really pop. First time using Mr. Hobby clear, I’m no expert but very pleased with how it went on. 
013C1E03-9343-4044-B0CC-C5EF2F31E1E9.thumb.jpeg.454294d440f204cd4c78b83461a4d8e0.jpeg

92AA204F-79ED-42AB-BB83-6E069D12C37C.thumb.jpeg.984bb36ead3f8a0d6d9de7cf9144076a.jpeg

Looking forward to getting this thing all together. Still have my fingers crossed that engine tucks under the hood.... 

Thanks for looking.

Looks Fantastic!

27 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Very nice job on the paint Steve, can't wait to see this polished !

Now that the colour is on, the roof line looks perfect (2thmbsup)

Cheers

Thanks Bruce !! Pretty excited I got 2 thumbs! Polished version coming right up....

Hi guys, she’s polished. As I said above, this is my first time using Mr Hobby clear, also my first time using Novus. I think it turned out well, definitely one of my better paint jobs. Let me know what you think 🤔 C41B699C-2F31-4701-8284-0C1976D9BA3F.thumb.jpeg.6b03de57b3c10f068ade6286ea779369.jpeg

DAE08373-444A-4882-A576-79C23FA2D0FA.thumb.jpeg.046ebb3b95b82e2e6cd8e872bed92063.jpeg

FC4E712F-16E8-4820-ADAD-05334F020F73.thumb.jpeg.0e5f89f132dc550a59b6a8943773490a.jpeg

I have heard a lot about Novus over the years, and although it worked well, I think my expectations were a bit high. I still used my favourite wax  (Adam’s) between Novus 2 and Novus 1. Hoping to get some final assembly done over the weekend. 

Cheers, Steve

I couldn’t resist...

FC930C54-EEC3-4675-9FD1-39BCC8DF362B.thumb.jpeg.ac5701b35f6b363eb7afb6c0b1f283d0.jpeg

681F2DCD-B7AC-499B-8078-BB3F8D4CFFA3.thumb.jpeg.f7e988077d19ff09ffc6f30d08fb812e.jpeg

F7CCF3F9-B417-45AE-A4FA-FCED683754E5.thumb.jpeg.a0f85d9677f21273040dec2745f96f4a.jpeg

GOOD NEWS !!!! Keeping my fingers crossed seemed to work! The engine is nestled under the hood nicely. I still might try for a pinch lower at the front, however that might backfire with the hood closing. Some investigation to do there first...

Body is just resting on the chassis here, it still needs to come off again. The only issue I had was that the belts prevented the inner fenders from fitting on chassis. So popped it off, and will reinstall later.

Cheers, Steve

Hello Francis, realistically the hood will almost never be closed, but good to know I can. I suppose it’s not great model building practice to have to cross your fingers and hope something works, that’s a bit embarrassing.... Thanks for checking in sir!

Cheers, Steve

3 hours ago, Kit Karson said:

AWESOME.jpg.ab54393a57eb6498dfb2885753a79bab.jpg

Hi Kit, thank you sir! 
I have been really enjoying the work that yourself, RRR, and Dennis L are doing on the Boyd tribute builds. Awesome stuff, three very talented and humble  builders honouring another fabulous builder, very fun to watch.

Cheers, Steve

15 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Kit, thank you sir! 
I have been really enjoying the work that yourself, RRR, and Dennis L are doing on the Boyd tribute builds. Awesome stuff, three very talented and humble  builders honoring another fabulous builder, very fun to watch.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks, Steve...

We're hoping Tim finishes his! -KK

1852179253_JimJacobs29AClosedCabpickup0706sr_01_z-1929_ford_pickup_truck-right_side_view.jpg.90923336d9e689f3be82790d636d0204.jpg

Jim Jacobs '29A Closed Cab Pickup

@tim boyd @Dennis Lacy @Rocking Rodney Rat

Edited by Kit Karson
Text correction...

3 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Man that is a thing of beauty! And that engine is gorgeous! 

Thank you Anton, much appreciated. To be honest, the engine was gorgeous all by itself, I just put it all together. 

3 hours ago, Dave72 said:

Wow, haven’t checked on this in while. Great job Steve! Really love the look of this buld. Engine and interior look fantastic not to mension the paint and bodywork are nothing short of awesome. Really nice job. 

Hi Dave, thanks for the words of encouragement. I’m getting close to being done. Still waiting for a couple of detail pieces to arrive by mail, I hope to get them tomorrow. My goal is to have it under glass in about a week. But.... I promised myself to not rush the finish, I’ve been guilty of that in the past.

Cheers, Steve

23 hours ago, Steve H said:

Thank you Anton, much appreciated. To be honest, the engine was gorgeous all by itself, I just put it all together. 

Hi Dave, thanks for the words of encouragement. I’m getting close to being done. Still waiting for a couple of detail pieces to arrive by mail, I hope to get them tomorrow. My goal is to have it under glass in about a week. But.... I promised myself to not rush the finish, I’ve been guilty of that in the past.

Cheers, Steve

I think we’ve all been guilty of that a time or two! I hate waiting for things to arrive in the mail! I think that’s why I have so many projects going at once! Waiting on one, hop to another. 

11 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Man you nailed it !  Gorgeous work all around 

Thank you Jeff ! I really appreciate that, especially from you. It definitely would not have looked this good without having your beautiful build as a template. 

Cheers, Steve