Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any news of Revell do something this year !

Mr mopar

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Actually, any pastel color looks good on it.

Soooo fifties!

There was a guy a while back on one of the boards who was building something like six of these early birds at once, all in different colors. Anyone remember?

• Like 1

Yeah I do. Nice builds too. May have been one of the Ozzies that build crushing amounts of great builds. HH board I think. Impossible to find there IMO. 
Wish they did 55, I grabbed a couple 56’s and bumpers are issue for me. Love these things. 

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There was a guy a while back on one of the boards who was building something like six of these early birds at once, all in different colors. Anyone remember?

I remember that too Tom. IIRC, he did one in flat black too right?

I remember giving him tips on doing a factory style light green/blue tint for the windshields.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 5:00 AM, Matt Bacon said:

The latest Zumbrunn book (“Lost Beauties”) has a photoshoot of the Marilyn Monroe 56 TBird, which is also pink, though a more restrained lipstick pink rather than this amped up Barbie version. The MM car actually looks remarkably tasteful…

best,

M.

This pink is pretty close to the one Ford had in '56, I seem to remember it being Circus Pink or something like that. A high school kid in our town had a '56 Crown Vic with the tinted Plexiglas roof and it was this pink and a pure white. As was the trend then it had the name "Pink Angel" on the lower panel of the front fenders just in front of the doors, it was accompanying a small figure of a "Tinker Bell" looking figure dressed in pink with feathered wings.The

• 4 weeks later...

Went to my LHS yesterday and noticed that there is really nothing from Revell on the shelves. I inquired about it and they told me that the distribution is still way out of wack, and that most of what they did have on the shelves was pre pandemic stock! 

Has anyone noticed the shortage of Revell kits in their towns? 

21 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Went to my LHS yesterday and noticed that there is really nothing from Revell on the shelves. I inquired about it and they told me that the distribution is still way out of wack, and that most of what they did have on the shelves was pre pandemic stock! 

With Revell reorganizing US distribution, there's been a slowdown in shipping product to wholesalers. Last week, one of my distributors got a refresh of 33 SKU's of Revell product. Yesterday, another got in a restock on just 16 SKU's. I imagine now that Quantum has consolidated the USA offices of Revell with Carrera things will get back to normal. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:29 AM, Daddyfink said:

Yes, the Revell stock at my LHS has been steadily dwindling the last couple months (I stop in about once a week).  The last couple visits it has been very noticeable, to the point today where they had practically nothing left.  Plenty of Round 2, Moebius, and Atlantis though.

Several months ago I picked up one of the '56 Delray reissues.  Decided I wanted a second one, but he was already sold out of that single shipment, and they've been on backorder ever since.

1966 Malibu SS

Scale: 1:24

Product number: 14520

1969 Camaro SS 396 2N1

Scale: 1:24

Product number: 14525

1981 Z-18 Camaro (Z-28...typo?)

Scale: 1:25 (I think this should be 1:24?)

Product number: 14526

Isn't the ex-Monogram Camaro kit a '78?  There were some changes to that kit over the years (stock wheels, for one).  The "new" kit might be an old Revell custom-only deal.

The '69 Camaro might be interesting, maybe a new variation.  The old Monogram kit was 1/24 scale, and every version I'm aware of had a small-block engine.

The '66 flip-front kit should do well for them.  I know a guy who bought a lot of collections, rarely did he ever get a collection that didn't have at least one of those among the haul.

34 minutes ago, Mark said:

Isn't the ex-Monogram Camaro kit a '78?  There were some changes to that kit over the years (stock wheels, for one).  The "new" kit might be an old Revell custom-only deal.

Could very well be a Revell 1/25 Z/28 Camaro, like so:

Revell1980Catlog4-vi.jpg

38 minutes ago, Mark said:

The '69 Camaro might be interesting, maybe a new variation.  The old Monogram kit was 1/24 scale, and every version I'm aware of had a small-block engine.

Sounds like it might be a new variant-- the hardtop body combined with the BBC pieces from the convertible kit, which did have the 396 BBC:

s-l1600.jpg

40 minutes ago, Mark said:

The '66 flip-front kit should do well for them.

I was hoping for the Street Rat version of the '66 Malibu SS, but it sounds like it'll be the other one:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The '66 flip-front kit should do well for them.  I know a guy who bought a lot of collections, rarely did he ever get a collection that didn't have at least one of those among the haul.

If it is the 1/24 scale Camaro, then it will be the '78. They could make a few changes to make it an '81. But, I doubt that has happened. 

I doubt they would reissue the old Monogram kit. That thing was horrible. More than likely, it's a reissue of the 1/25 Yenko or COPO. 

The '66 Chevelle has gotten quite pricey on ebay. I'll definitely snag that one. For whatever reason, I have a soft spot for that old kit.

6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The 81 Camaro also could be the ex-Monogram 1/24th scale snap-tite!

s-l300.jpg

I would be sooo happy if it was that one, even with the inaccurate hood. 

I guess it could also be the blue version:

image.png.9ca0a0af4b98bd244472aaa59f6d1ce2.png

I am really worried though, given the scale it could be this one:

image.jpeg.1f49df15c8d13f81b7616ef2d128af9f.jpeg

If it is this one, I hope they do something about mudder/truck tires and 13" wheels. It would also be nice to see it NOT be a convertible. I dont think they made them in convertibles in the second gens?

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I was hoping for the Street Rat version of the '66 Malibu SS, but it sounds like it'll be the other one:

s-l1600.jpg

I would like to see this one back simply for the wheels. I think they look much better than the kit wheels on the kits from the 70`s and early 80`s. This is how I remember those cars looking:

armygood3.jpg.34ecb52a6dedccb955d12d1e6ca715fc.jpg

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I was hoping for the Street Rat version of the '66 Malibu SS

I agree -- the Street Rat  version is nicer , IMO . I haven't touched one of those old Monogram '66 Chevelle kits in over 30 years... I'll have to get one this time around ( and ditch the wheels and tyres for better pieces ) .

1 hour ago, Hawk312 said:

I would be sooo happy if it was that one, even with the inaccurate hood. 

I guess it could also be the blue version:

image.png.9ca0a0af4b98bd244472aaa59f6d1ce2.png

I am really worried though, given the scale it could be this one:

image.jpeg.1f49df15c8d13f81b7616ef2d128af9f.jpeg

If it is this one, I hope they do something about mudder/truck tires and 13" wheels. It would also be nice to see it NOT be a convertible. I dont think they made them in convertibles in the second gens?

There was never a factory second gen Camaro. There was a aftermarket company that offered a kit to do your own.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

There was never a factory second gen Camaro. There was a aftermarket company that offered a kit to do your own.

There was also a company called National Coach Engineering that converted 4 or 5 hundred Camaros and a like number of Firebirds when they were new that were sold through a couple GM dealers 

Here's an article from Motor Trend in '79.

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Site Design Images/NCE Article Pg1.jpg

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Site Design Images/NCE Article Pg2.jpg

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Site Design Images/NCE Article Pg3.jpg

If the '81 Camaro is this one, it's quite well detailed for an '80s snap kit:

I got one as a kid.  If I recall correctly, opening hood with passable engine, separate rear axle/springs/driveshaft.  I think the exhaust is molded in, but the tips were molded to the rear bumper to help create the illusion of separate exhaust.

Fit in well on the shelf with my glue kits, could tell there was some thought put into the design.

image.png

Edited by Robberbaron

19 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

If the '81 Camaro is this one, it's quite well detailed for an '80s snap kit:

I got one as a kid.  If I recall correctly, opening hood with passable engine, separate rear axle/springs/driveshaft.  I think the exhaust is molded in, but the tips were molded to the rear bumper to help create the illusion of separate exhaust.

Fit in well on the shelf with my glue kits, could tell there was some thought put into the design.

image.png

Oh, that would be nice! Correct hood as well!