Model Cars Magazine Forum

*User Names (Screen Names)*

Zippi

Born in the Chinese year of the rat. Very slightly older spouse is a pig. We love the Pearls Before Swine comic strip. My nickname at home is "Rodent". We have had rats as pets and we are cuddly little creatures. So, I am Rodent.

16 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

I'm a fan of Sid Haig's Captain Spaulding character in the movies House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects and have been using the Captain Spaulding username on anything I join.

That's a surprise! I just assumed it was from the Groucho Marx character in "Animal Crackers". I guess I am old!

I'll just click and paste my answer from the other thread. Only change is I sold my beloved 1957 Chevy back in April to put a downpayment on a house. I should change my name to Sadgoose now, lol.

Jeff

When I first got into slot car drag racing, I would email my new friend Tom Bagly, who owns Wheatfield Raceway, and would always sign off as Jeff "the Mongoose" Herrman, as I was a fan of the late Tom McEwen. Well, he jokingly shortened it to "Goose" and here I am today. I always figured I resemble a pudgy waterfowl more than a svelte weasel anyway, so I kept the nickname. I've used it in one form or another for most of my hot rod and internet life. I still think some people in the CPMCC club and slot car world only know me by my nickname and not my real name, so there it is, lol. As for the 1957 part, I own a real 57 Chevy and use it's pic for my avatar.

Good topic, always like to hear the backstory.

Jeff "Goose" Herrman

20210418_141633.jpg

webe, comes from my nephew when he was little. Every time I said "Webe go'n" he would laugh. Then he nicked named me "Uncle Weebs". 

stang, Well that might be a bit obvious from my sig. Born the year debuted 1964, family car was a 67 coupe, first car bought on my own 68 coupe, own 3 now.

Mine comes from one of my trucks, I have an 05 F150 Supercrew and when I was active in the truck forums and clubs they called the Supercrew a Screw so I am a Screwdriver so my name is that with no vowels...

Looks like this now  however I did take the cap off and went back to a tonno cover

IMG_1698.jpg

Edited by SCRWDRVR

I’m having second thoughts ...

i got back into modeling after I did a tribute to my late father with a model of the Indian chief motorcycle he rode as a Mass. State cop in the 50s. After a lot of research, I became a fan of the Indian motorcycle. The police that were ‘assigned’ to motorcycle duty favored the Indians over the Harleys, although they all rathered the heated cruisers . 

I found the laughing Indian logo originally taken from the back of a club jacket that the Harley drivers could see from behind. It inspired me at a time when I thought how the Native Americans, as well as the men from my father’s era,  woulda laughed at all of us now.

But nowadays, I look at my user name and see it derogatory .... or maybe I’m losing my sense of humor ...

A9F9979E-1D30-4149-A7B8-A0D15C0BE445.jpeg

F72F509F-E683-4FF3-A85D-5A0B7D0F28DB.jpeg

E18292D4-BEC5-48E2-A90A-74A644281F58.jpeg

I guess, in the spirit of the topic at least, I should respond to the point. 

My dual career paths were fire service and law enforcement. Because of my name, I was subjected to many years of "Book 'em, Danno" remarks. Eventually the nickname kinda stuck. 🙄

Back in the late '90's, SA did an article on my '61 Ferrari 250 SWB. In one of the captioned pics, they commented about my "Obsessive" attention to detail. A cousin of mine who saw the article, called me to mentioned how they used the word Obsessive. She got quite a chuckle out of it.

When I started to go on the 'net in the early '00's, I remembered that article and figured why not use that as a handle?

I've been on here since 2006 and that's been my handle since then. It's also part of my email address and there are times where people have asked how I came to use that. I've sent them links to Fotki and they write back and say....."OK! I see now WHY you use that!" :D

On 9/4/2021 at 8:08 PM, LaughingIndian said:

I found the laughing Indian logo originally taken from the back of a club jacket that the Harley drivers could see from behind. It inspired me at a time when I thought how the Native Americans, as well as the men from my father’s era,  woulda laughed at all of us now.

But nowadays, I look at my user name and see it derogatory .... or maybe I’m losing my sense of humor ...

I wouldn’t budge on the screen name!   Should the state of Indiana change its name? I think not. The political correctness nonsense has gone way too far!

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I wouldn’t budge on the screen name!   Should the state of Indiana change its name? I think not. The political correctness nonsense has gone way too far!

Yeah, never lose your sense of humor.... that’s what’s wrong with everything now!

Hopefully this video link can help you feel better about it.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGfyp6MxkM&list=PL31WoDLKG0gdNHnS0eMhB9H59usJasq0E&index=3

Edited by Venom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1