Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

With respect to the Mod Rod and AMT-Ertl Ala Kart kits, I am trying to recall with certainty my discussion with JG about this before the Mod Rod was issued.  Being probably ten years ago or so, my overall but still a bit vague impression/takeaway was that part of the plan was to preserve the long-term viability/marketability of both tool sets.  Had they returned the Mod Rod release to 100% original Ala Kart content, that would have largely obsoleted the AMT-Ertl tool, which is not what properly managed businesses want to do (and lest we forget, model car kits is still a business first and foremost).  It would have also driven up the cost with developing the new tooling to return the missing AlaKart parts, and also increased time elapsed before coming to market.  

I bought the Mod Rod reissue, in part for several of the reasons cited above.  And while I doubt I will ever build it box stock, the AMT-Ertl AlaKart kit had some very nice parts, including the three induction systems Alexis mentioned, and a pretty nice set of tread and sidewall matched big'n'little whitewalls, making it an overall kit worthy of purchase despite its many shortcomings.   

TB  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

In regard to the Pinto/Vega modifieds and the '65 Mustang (and a couple others in that series) the chassis are very different. The P/V Twins share a one piece chassis, and are pretty much identical other than bumpers, air cleaners, and hood panels. The mustang has a multipiece chassis that is far more involved to build, and different engine. There are essentially just 2 basic chassis available for this style of car. The Pinto/Vega Chassis (it might be a Tobias) and the other more involved style seen the the Mustang. I think one is MPC and the other originated with AMT. The only differences after that, are just bodies, trim pieces and decals.

1 hour ago, afx said:

Yep

Image 1 - VINTAGE 1977 IDEAL TCR JAM CAR SPEEDWAY SLOTLESS TRACKS MIB USED

That's the exact set I had.  I think I still have the cars somewhere.  The #77 Pinto in my set was wicked fast!  I think the Mustangs (#55 & #11) were later body styles that the AMT kit, though.  Still, it would be cool to replicate these cars.

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

With respect to the Mod Rod and AMT-Ertl Ala Kart kits, I am trying to recall with certainty my discussion with JG about this before the Mod Rod was issued.  Being probably ten years ago or so, my overall but still a bit vague impression/takeaway was that part of the plan was to preserve the long-term viability/marketability of both tool sets.  Had they returned the Mod Rod release to 100% original Ala Kart content, that would have largely obsoleted the AMT-Ertl tool, which is not what properly managed businesses want to do (and lest we forget, model car kits is still a business first and foremost).  It would have also driven up the cost with developing the new tooling to return the missing AlaKart parts, and also increased time elapsed before coming to market.  

I bought the Mod Rod reissue, in part for several of the reasons cited above.  And while I doubt I will ever build it box stock, the AMT-Ertl AlaKart kit had some very nice parts, including the three induction systems Alexis mentioned, and a pretty nice set of tread and sidewall matched big'n'little whitewalls, making it an overall kit worthy of purchase despite its many shortcomings.   

TB  

I can confirm it's the modern tool AMT-Ertl era kit that we are getting this time around, it's scheduled for July, but everything has been arriving late so Aug or Sept is more likely. 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Steve.

Ask them to at least fix the instruction sheet. All those intake options were tooled, and remain in the kit. At least they can tell us which option goes to what version of the car. And Better Decals. That would make a world of difference for the kit, at least

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alexis said:

Thanks, Steve.

Ask them to at least fix the instruction sheet. All those intake options were tooled, and remain in the kit. At least they can tell us which option goes to what version of the car. And Better Decals. That would make a world of difference for the kit, at least

I agree the decals were not the best.   As far as the instructions go I would need to verify the details of intake options.  According to the Bonediggers kit review,  the Red Ram Hemi was originally equipped with the Hilborn injection. Later, the Hilborn injectors were replaced by 4 Stromberg 97 carburetors, first with Scott Injecta Top air horns, then with more conventional bell top air filters.  Can anyone confirm that's correct ? 

-Steve

10 minutes ago, SteveG said:

I agree the decals were not the best.   As far as the instructions go I would need to verify the details of intake options.  According to the Bonediggers kit review,  the Red Ram Hemi was originally equipped with the Hilborn injection. Later, the Hilborn injectors were replaced by 4 Stromberg 97 carburetors, first with Scott Injecta Top air horns, then with more conventional bell top air filters.  Can anyone confirm that's correct ? 

-Steve

I've never seen photos with the Injecta tops, but the R&C "burn" photos show the Strombergs with the conventional bell top filters. 

https://public.fotki.com/DWDarby/ala_kart/

image.png

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 8:22 AM, tim boyd said:

Had they returned the Mod Rod release to 100% original Ala Kart content, that would have largely obsoleted the AMT-Ertl tool, which is not what properly managed businesses want to do (and lest we forget, model car kits is still a business first and foremost).  It would have also driven up the cost with developing the new tooling to return the missing AlaKart parts, and also increased time elapsed before coming to market.  

If that was their plan, they could've used an original kit to scale from and only made new tools for the missing and modified parts. Probably saving tooling dollars in the process. 

Instead, we got a new tool that misses the mark in too many areas and STILL has us longing for the original version. 

I seem to recall AMT spending dollars to tool an all new 57 Chevy that was supposed to make the original trophy kit "obsolete", and yet, here we still see the original kit on the shelves.

Sometimes, manufacturers don't need to reinvent the wheel, they just take the "kinks" out.

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I seem to recall AMT spending dollars to tool an all new 57 Chevy that was supposed to make the original trophy kit "obsolete", and yet, here we still see the original kit on the shelves.

Sometimes, manufacturers don't need to reinvent the wheel, they just take the "kinks" out.

The reason you see the original kit on the shelves still is pure nostalgia, not a reflection of the quality of the new tool 57 Chevy. 

If that was their plan, they could've used an original kit to scale from and only made new tools for the missing and modified parts. Probably saving tooling dollars in the process. 

Instead, we got a new tool that misses the mark in too many areas and STILL has us longing for the original version. 

Except, in the case of the 57, the new tool *is* more accurate. Just saddled with some undersized looking rolling stock. The new tool Ala Kart suffered from poor execution due RC laying off their best designers mid project. The only thing that could salvage that one would be (at minimum) tooling up a new cab, hood, nose piece and grille. The wheels are terrible too. That and the stucco pattern in the dash guages. It's a hot mess. We would have been far better served with a restoration of the original tool. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Except, in the case of the 57, the new tool *is* more accurate. Just saddled with some undersized looking rolling stock. The new tool Ala Kart suffered from poor execution due RC laying off their best designers mid project. The only thing that could salvage that one would be (at minimum) tooling up a new cab, hood, nose piece and grille. The wheels are terrible too. That and the stucco pattern in the dash guages. It's a hot mess. We would have been far better served with a restoration of the original tool. 

Agreed entirely. The New Tool '57 100% obsoleted the Trophy Series kit and the Trophy Series tooling should have remained retired. That the Trophy Series kit came available under Round 2's management tells us more that Round 2 isn't concerned about detail or accuracy minded model builders and instead are wholly focused on nostalgia collectors. 

• Like 1

Oldcarfan, please drop me an email: 

SnakeACP45 at aol dot com   B)

10 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Agreed entirely. The New Tool '57 100% obsoleted the Trophy Series kit and the Trophy Series tooling should have remained retired. That the Trophy Series kit came available under Round 2's management tells us more that Round 2 isn't concerned about detail or accuracy minded model builders and instead are wholly focused on nostalgia collectors. 

Well on the other hand, the original has a lot of great features, such as a nice blown 409, Keystone mags, chrome reversed wheels, and more. More importantly, the old tool 57 has consistently been a much better seller than the new tool 57. And sales are what keeps the lights on. As long as they keep cranking both out, I'm good. As far as the new tool Ala Kart goes, I don't recall it ever being that hot of a seller, (I could be wrong) and I practically couldn't give my extras away on eBay. I do like the front tires though...

20210920_164042.jpg

The new Charger, I suspect, will sell very well, especially if they do a supplemental police version.

I also see good numbers coming for the Mustang fastback.

The Lindberg '66 Chevelle is very nice, and will also be well-received, I think.

From discussion, there may be at least one more major tool in the works, and I'll be curious to see what that ends up being. I'd love to see one of the 1960s Imperials.

The one I'd put money on, though, for within the next year or two, based on a VERY long history of demand, is the 1969-'72 Grand Prix. If that happens, I think demand will be near-unprecedented.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 2

@SteveG

“Shadow lettering” that my locals use with no light bars just inside glass takedowns and small strobes around plate area would be fun/cheap inclusions. 
Locals are very sneaky in this part of TX. Ka or K band boxes good add. Nobody uses X band anymore. Laser gun for seat or side mount for stationary use only requisite too. 
Revenue cars. Zero prevention. 
Forgot. Non reflective. No front nor rear ID, and normal plates. 
Charger funny. Cop was very unhappy I took photo. Cars are SAPD, County, and Constanbles. 

42008439-E03A-4EFD-9507-B60896F17BCC.thumb.jpeg.a0a00f6f8acc118a8f7c6ee25bafd2fb.jpegD6595D95-11D7-429E-808B-A2A34F0E31F2.thumb.jpeg.a16ffe899a46765e2388408fc72eb9c1.jpeg99CBC327-58D9-458C-B77D-9537AFC0483D.thumb.jpeg.7dfdf3ecdd8c7192ba896b6858467fc9.jpeg03E352E8-E917-46E6-9E1D-F228B38FCE0A.thumb.jpeg.142ee88b8d6e03a4790b0af5357359f6.jpeg

7D10FD08-FFA4-4071-A1D5-282D5DA66F9F.jpeg

Edited by keyser
One pic and comment
  • Like 2

@SteveG

Here’s some photos of state of art stuff

First two Ka band, next 2 handheld Laser (can’t use moving), last is hidden takedowns. 
Know thine enemy. 
Window tint nice idea too. Theirs is darker than legal, of course.

D3AACC90-C1F0-45DB-9434-0FA0875A3B4E.jpeg

D03CDA9A-B8FF-4A1A-AF14-CFE9E25FABB3.png

8316786D-65DC-4741-A05F-D9CFE21CC43B.jpeg

DB3C03B6-85EA-4AD3-9D48-408830A4DAF5.jpeg

6856C41C-515E-43D5-9532-D30C05B1F657.jpeg

Edited by keyser
Tint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keyser said:

@SteveG

“Shadow lettering” that my locals use with no light bars just inside glass takedowns and small strobes around plate area would be fun/cheap inclusions. 
Locals are very sneaky in this part of TX. Ka or K band boxes good add. Nobody uses X band anymore. Laser gun for seat or side mount for stationary use only requisite too. 
Revenue cars. Zero prevention. 
Forgot. Non reflective. No front nor rear ID, and normal plates. 
Charger funny. Cop was very unhappy I took photo. Cars are SAPD, County, and Constanbles. 

AZDPS is running dealer bought Dodge Chargers in different colors, Ive seen white/silver/red/grey.

Here is a few before getting upfitted898761822_Screenshot2022-03-14at15-18-55ArizonaDPSHighwayPatrol.png.0a2d6f9e6912d92623e7d7f4c96050cd.png577396656_Screenshot2022-03-14at15-19-35ArizonaDPSHighwayPatrol.png.ccc03cc1072e24ad614e7b2eac98b035.png

Yep. Here they even use shadow on patrol Exploders and Tahoes. Chargers revenue primarily. BSA seems to require Exploders a lot. DPS loves them tahoes. County guys out in boonies by me use unmarked pickups with headache racks. Some with crates for K9’s. I’m careful coming up on stuff at 100+. 
Never get anywhere timely at less. Great brakes help. 

Unmarked cars are not police cars. Police cars are required to be clearly marked. Those "shadow" ones look like old police cars with the stickers peeled off. If it isn't clearly marked then I have no choice but to believe you're some psycho that put lights on his car to take advantage of me.