Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

30 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Maybe I missed it. But, has Round2 ever announced the movie car?

The new tool Movie Car has not been announced yet as the Mockup has not been completed yet.  There's is also another unannounced cloning project underway that is in the mockup stage, but the mockups weren't completed before the video was made.  So, you can expect more news later this year.  

-Steve

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I’m very excited about the ‘66 Mustang 2 + 2. I couldn’t tell, but I’m hoping it has the GT package. Particularly the grille with the fog lamps. The wheels they show make me think that its a good possibility. 

It will have the GT foglamp grille and the same interior bucket as what was in the annual Fastback kit, both are direct copies.  The Polyglas GT's were used just for size.  The final tire choices have not been made yet.    

Steve

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SteveG said:

It will have the GT foglamp grille and the same interior bucket as what was in the annual Fastback kit, both are direct copies.  The Polyglas GT's were used just for size.  The final tire choices have not been made yet.    

Steve

Ah, good. I missed that. 

By the way, I’m wondering about the later 1990’s Schumacher Batmobile models? Does anybody know where they came from? Did Round 2 tool those up newly? Or did they get a hold of the Revell dies for these kits? I don’t remember seeing these under the AMT banner before. 

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

The new tool Movie Car has not been announced yet as the Mockup has not been completed yet.  There's is also another unannounced cloning project underway that is in the mockup stage, but the mockups weren't completed before the video was made.  So, you can expect more news later this year.  

-Steve

Thanx Steve! 

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

Steve

It looks like the sail panel vents might be a separate piece.  That would pave the way for a later 66 GT350 version.

21 hours ago, SteveG said:

As best as I can figure, the Annual Fastback kit was scavenged over pretty hard to make the AFX kit, about the only part to survive intact was the glass which will make back into this version.   Luckily the current Coupe kit underpinnings are close enough to make it all work with minimal revisions.   In my opinion getting the Fastback restored was long overdue so now we have it.

That makes sense, and should satisfy most people. A decent stock body alone is probably enough to entice most serious builders to buy.

I would guess we'll see '66 style retro box art, similar to the original, like so:

AMT66MustangOI.jpg.3924adf8baaa7d66f92e05417ce41471.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Good to hear, thanks Steve!   TIM

On 2/18/2022 at 8:52 PM, Snake45 said:

Would be VERY nice if they'd include the '66 GT350 side scoops, too. I guess the '65 GT350R front pan is just too much to even wish for. 

66MustangGTTurq21.jpg.4b995d4700d7ae145e8544a3550e208f.jpg

They'll be saving those parts for the next variant of the tooling  ^_^

Chassis progression; from promo single exhaust to duals...                                                                                                                                                                                      

DSCN0445.JPG.ec12c5c429f4099969196ce7abdab497.JPG

Interiors; coupe, resin repop fastback and '68...                                                                                                                                                                     DSCN0457.JPG.0302f927609b0c89e92e1fc6be8f12bc.JPG

DSCN0455.JPG.b83294022b694425fabecc00980310bc.JPG

Great to see JC (AFX) show us how well the '67 chassis/engine bay fits these with his Shelby Group ll build... B)

65mstengcmp.jpg

65mstchss67.jpg

Edited by mk11
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, keyser said:

Resuscitate Imperial chassis, add Apaches, and a 1/25 Black Beauty would be nice. Or a revived DB5 Bond Aston. They do have Bond license. 

Resuscitate the whole Imperial. I wonder where the tooling is for AMT’s old ‘66 Imperial? Can the convertible version be restored back to stock from the “Hero” TV version? And would it sell? Making it worth  bringing back? 

And again. Does anybody know anything about the Schumacher 1990’s Batmobile kits shown in the video? Where did these come from? Is where enough demand for them, that Round 2 would tooled up new dies for them? Or are they, as I’m guessing, made from the Revell dies, and now in AMT boxes? 

7 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

And again. Does anybody know anything about the Schumacher 1990’s Batmobile kits shown in the video? Where did these come from? Is where enough demand for them, that Round 2 would tooled up new dies for them? Or are they, as I’m guessing, made from the Revell dies, and now in AMT boxes? 

I don't really follow the Sci-fi products but I'm pretty sure they acquired the tooling from Revell, they're not brand-new tooling. 

-Steve

On 2/19/2022 at 10:41 AM, sfhess said:

It looks like the sail panel vents might be a separate piece.  That would pave the way for a later 66 GT350 version.

Thy were scored in the original kit. You could cut them out and replace them with blanking panels. I was looking through the instructions of my original last night.

12 hours ago, sfhess said:

I should dig my 65 out and take a look.

The '65 instructions mention cutting them out and using kit-included filler pieces. 

One of the glue bombs I rescued had the vents cut out (somewhat crudely), but nothing in them. I cleaned up the cutouts as best I could and made GT350-type windows from the side windows from an AMT '72 Nova. It wasn't too difficult and IIRC I got them fitted so closely I was able to just press-fit them in, no cement. 

And I'll do it again! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

AMT 1329 -- Groove Boss Super Modified

AMT 1330 -- George Barris Ala Kart

AMT 1342 -- 1966 Chevy Chevelle SS

AMT 1349 -- Hot Wheels 1997 Dodge Viper GTS (snap)

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

AMT 1330 -- George Barris Ala Kart

Sooooo, I'm going to assume this is the New tool kit from 20 years ago? Highly doubt the pulled the trigger on re-engineering the actual missing Ala Kart parts for the 29 Ford tooling. Although they did the new wheels a few years ago. Hmm

Feel free to slap me to wake me up from that day dream.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Yeah, it will be that botched, "New & Improved" kit from the bad old days. Other than the wheels, that kit is just a sad reminder of "What-could-Have-Been". But, there are two whole generations who've never seen or built the thing, so it will sell briskly.

I do hope they at least include the instructions for and explanations of the three different intake options that were tooled into the kit. And maybe put the "Chrysler Firepower" engraving on the valve covers. At least the wheels and tires are good for kit bashing. About the only part of the kit that is worth keeping......... I remember the deep disappointment with this kit when it first came out. So Heavily anticipated, and then so controversial when we finally got it. There is probably a thread buried on this board comparing the 90's kit with the real kit from the '60's.

I wish Round2 would just tool up the correct parts, and not phaffle around with the Mod Rod, that they tried to pull off a few years ago. If they had restored all the Ala Kart parts back then, I'd have bought a couple cases of the kit. Instead we got some un-wanted and un-needed axle parts, and just enough of the surviving Ala Kart parts to tease us. As a customer, I felt it was a huge fiasco! The Mod Rod kits never seemed to sell very well, and vanished pretty fast too. I suspect somebody at Round2 badly misjudged the market for the Mod Rod, and the sales ( I am guessing) reflected that lack of demand. I wound up with one.

• Like 1

There are more parts than just the wheels and tires that are worthwhile in the new tool AlaKart. The front axle is nice, and the frame/suspensions are well done. There are also aspects of the body that are more accurate than the original. The engine is nicely rendered from a tooling aspect, although completely undersized as has been debated ad-nauseum here and everywhere else since the kit came out. 

@Dave Darby is something of an expert on these kits

@Ace-Garageguy also did a very nice comparison thread a few years ago