Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ads displaying over topics

jaymcminn

3 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

I use a Mac. Never saw the ads when using Firefox. Unfortunately, Firefox became unstable after my last software update. Ads now appear (over threads) in both Safari and Chrome.

Can't you uninstall Firefox, then do an fresh install?

On 1/27/2022 at 6:19 PM, Xingu said:

The problem is that we need the ads for revenue to keep this site free. I guess we could start an option where we charge folks $25 a year for ad free site.

This please, if possible slightly lower price but for a site (when I'm active in the hobby) I visit at least every other day, would be worth it.

• Like 1

Sure, it's annoying and I hope it can be changed. Maybe ads alongside the posts instead of over them? What advertisers don't realize is that when an ad becomes so intrusive and annoying, people just get mad and the subject of the ad doesn't even register. Very counterproductive.

But it's a small price to pay for such a great site! I've learned so much here, and really enjoy checking out everyone's builds.

Michael (Xingu), thanks for putting up with the headaches. Running this forum can be a thankless job, but we totally appreciate it. 👍

Actually, Dave Ambrose is the "man behind the curtain" dealing with the technical stuff that runs the forum. But all the moderators are doing great (and thankless) job of policing the forum.

I suspect there is not much control in the placement of the ads, and for some strange reason this forum seems to have lots more problems with the ads annoyingly taking over the entire screen than the other forums I frequent.  I suspect that this has something to do with the forum software itself (the way the code is written).  The other forums use different underlying software.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, BuilderX said:

You need to contact the ad smacks and tell them you will never buy thier product unless they play fair with their ads!

Sure Pete, as if that would work.  You're dreaming. 

Plus it is not the companies that are advertising but it is the company that hosts the ads (Google).  Even if a 1000 people contacted either company (which is likely larger number than all the members actively participating here), that is such a minuscule number of complaints that they would be ignored.  Those ads get forced upon millions of viewers.

I run an ad blocker and only access the site on a Windows 10 PC running FireFox and DuckDuckGo. I have never seen an ad even once. However, to do my part to support the site I would be happily to make a donation to help keep it running.

16 hours ago, peteski said:

Sure Pete, as if that would work.  You're dreaming. 

Plus it is not the companies that are advertising but it is the company that hosts the ads (Google).  Even if a 1000 people contacted either company (which is likely larger number than all the members actively participating here), that is such a minuscule number of complaints that they would be ignored.  Those ads get forced upon millions of viewers.

Yes yes I am dreaming thats why I build Models! But I did call one of the ads on here that was blocking info and had a nice conversation with the owner. He was not happy what I told him. He is going to talk to his marketing co about it which I know comes down to Google.  But Hey just my 1.5 cents!😎

On 4/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, BuilderX said:

Yes yes I am dreaming thats why I build Models! But I did call one of the ads on here that was blocking info and had a nice conversation with the owner. He was not happy what I told him. He is going to talk to his marketing co about it which I know comes down to Google.  But Hey just my 1.5 cents!😎

Excellent!  Good for you.  What specifically did you discuss?  Also, what exactly is your definition of "playing fair with the ads".  I honestly do not see any company's sales team "playing fair". Sales teams operate in  a dog-eat-dog environment.  Maximizing profits (making or exceeding the "numbers") is the name of the game.  Outsell competitors.  If you believe anything else, you will likely be disappointed.

Please let us all know if the company that you contacted starts "playing fair".  It would be a pleasant surprise.

I will also mention again, that it is not the companies that are hiring Google to show they ads who are causing the annoying problems we are discussing.  It is the advertising giant (Google) that is playing whack-the-mole with the forums software (and its admin Dave).

Edited by peteski

• 3 months later...

These jokers are gaming the system. I don't know why they think this will get them more sales. I tweaked the settings again. 

If you get ads like this, click the little report icon in the top right corner and select ad covers content. That seems to get the ad canned. 

• 2 months later...

Got this displaying on mobile this morning...

83431586_Screenshot_20221002-054407_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b1d3719a44191a6633a6e68390548f89.jpg

I read the advice on reporting the ad for covering the forum, and when I reloaded I got a smaller version.  

1303179623_Screenshot_20221002-054548_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ac8d3752c6757fbd6d23ec21489e0a55.jpg

Still inserting ads like that into the flow of topics is annoying, they have 19,782 banner ads on the site as it is at the top and bottom of the pages, the interstitials are unnecessary.