Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Impala Lowrider

Modlbldr

So, I am in the process of packing everything for a move from Washington State to Kentucky and I have almost all of my WIP's packed up. Since I will have some time sitting in an empty house at both ends I have decided to pick a new "simple" project to work on.

Earlier this week I got a couple of 67 Impala parts kits (Missing wheels/tires and engines) and a new can of Tamiya Pearl Light Red from a local buddy. I thought a quick build of a 67 Impala would be just the ticket. As I was prowling the "innertube" looking for ideas, I came across this example that, including the color, was perfect! 

I dug through my tire/wheel stash and came across a set of narrow white wall lowrider tires and Cragars. I smell a project coming on. The plan is to keep this one simple, perhaps even curbside.

Later-

Screenshot_20220108-210122_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Last night I got all of my parts together. I got the minimal flash removed from the body and scribed all of the panel lines. I found one sink mark at the rear of the driver's side fender.  The previous owner had started the chassis work and I'll have to see what work needs to be re-done or completed.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Here are the tires and wheels. It would be nice to get the stance this low or a touch higher.

Got all of the filler work done and sanded tonight on the C pillar mold lines, the sink mark on the rear fender and where I shaved the door handles.

Later-

20220109_214601.jpg

20220109_214553.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Yep, liking those wheels Tom, are they the Pegasus Mini T's ? 

Are you going to stance with some rake or level it out ? either way its going to be a great looking old school Lowrider.

Thanks Luke. Not sure what they are as I found them in a tub of wheels from my buddy's stash I inherited. I'd say that they are Pegasus, considering the back of the wheel looks a lot like how Pegasus wheels are designed. I'll probably level it out.

4 hours ago, Tuffy's Garage said:

cool nice project

Thanks Tuffy.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

What a great body style for a Low Rider!

David G.

Thanks David. I agree!

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Looking good so far.  You got this one down in the weeds.  How about some Kindig-It Design Custom Smooth Door Handles.

Thanks Zippi. I'll have to look up the Kindig-It door handles. That sounds like something I have in mind for another project. However, this one is going for an Old School look. I want to keep this one simple. Something to work on when the house is empty. My biggest problem is going to be spraying the paint. It has been between 2-38 degrees here with about 8 inches of snow.

Later-

I like the stance and the color you mentioned. The wheel well openings are so large on this maybe some larger diameter wheel & tire combination if you can find one you like. The wheels and tires you have now look good, just to small of a diameter on proportion to the opening.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Your getting down into my neck of the woods.

Well, that's great! Then it won't cost so much for you to ship me all of those great older builds and kits... Lol.

5 hours ago, espo said:

I like the stance and the color you mentioned. The wheel well openings are so large on this maybe some larger diameter wheel & tire combination if you can find one you like. The wheels and tires you have now look good, just to small of a diameter on proportion to the opening.  

Yeah, that's the problem with the late 60's to 70 Impalas. Huge wheel wells. I've got some large diameter wire wheels but they are definitely not period correct.

Later-

Thanks guys for the support!

On 1/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, slusher said:

A 67 Chevy looks great as a Lowrider! I am on board.  Where are you moving in Kentucky sir?

Looking at Central City or somewhere near that area.

11 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Ooh liking this, the 67 Impala really suits the lowrider treatment !

If your struggling to get it that low, trim the tops of the tyres down. It can't be seen, so if it's a curbside anyway ?

looking forward to more on this ...

I always thought that the 67 made an excellent lowrider candidate. I may have to cut the tops off. Haven't done much for the chassis work yet. Got the first coat of primer on parts last night in my 34 degree garage! and then straight into the humidifier for about 4 hours. Didnt look too bad coming out of the dehydrator.

Did some wet sanding of the primer on the body and hood just now with 3200 grit. Going to shoot a second coat of primer tomorrow and another stint in the dehydrator. Then we will see how it looks.

Thinking the interior will be a white with just a tint of rose color.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

12 hours ago, tbill said:

Cool project, that color looks really good on this body, I have a stalled build in that color…

0D173B9B-60CA-4B03-A6EA-78B012C12035.jpeg

Looks as beautiful as I thought it would! Great job!

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Nice start Tom, the wheels, stance and colour are going to look great on it.

I struggled with final fitment of the chassis/interior/glass/bodyshell on mine, it felt tight around the dashboard, so do keep trial fitting.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Just sprayed the second coat of primer and it is drying a bit in 35 degree weather with a lamp for a small bit of heat. Can't wait to get moved and get an actual spray area set up.

Later-

So, while looking through some inspiration tonight on Google I came across a lowrider painter from the past that I was not familiar with but I am eager to see more of his work. Don't get me wrong, I know next to nothing about lowrider history but I've always loved the paint work these guys come up with. Anywho, the man's name was Walt Prey. Seeing some of his work makes me want to try things similar to his in 1/25. I'm really liking this 67 Impala and this 55 Chevy. Beautiful work!!

Later-

Screenshot_20220113-204514_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220113-204829_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220113-204829_Google.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

He has a car in the petersen museum called gypsy rose, it was inducted into the historic vehicle register at the same time as the hirohata merc. Theres some good pics here, but my fav pi of it is when it was on show in DC with the hirohata

https://classicandsportscar.com/features/gypsy-rose-queen-lowriders

http://kustomrama.com/wiki/Walt_Prey