Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you learn to drive in?

Took drivers training in High School, I think they had a couple of 80s Ford Fairmonts and Chevy Malibus. I did most of my practice time in an early 80s Volvo 242 and a 1976 VW Rabbit. Passed my drivers test in the Rabbit.

Several years later I got my class B commercial in an early 1970s Ford C800 fire engine, with a 5 speed manual.

• Like 1

First car I drove was a 78 Cutlass Supreme.  Drivers Ed. was with an 80's Dodge Aries (barf lol).  Took my drivers test in a 86 F150 4x4.  First car with a stick I truly drove was my brother's 66 Fairlane 500XL with a Tremec 5spd (was originally a 289 car, but now sports a 69 351W stroked out to 427).

Edited by bogger44
added text
  • Like 1

I learned to drive on a Massey Ferguson 135. I was ten. But, I was always big for my age. When I was twelve, I learned to drive on the road in Dad's '75 F-100. It was a 360 with a 3 speed on the column. No power brakes or steering. I also took my driver's test in it. Dad tried to talk me into taking Mom's car to take the test. It was a '73 Fury III and I loathed that car! It was green on green on green with a 318. I told him I would rather fail the test than drive that car! I passed no problem. This is a replica of the truck.

20190528_144840-1.jpg.a6fc3662655f88517c28667fe648ba49.jpg 

• Like 4

I got my first lessons in a Citroën BX Diesel.

image.png.1d83a0007a47468f0054a5d0aba9a712.png

I remember the first lesson: I met the instructor at a parking place and there was the BX, flat on it's belly!!

image.png.cf627b6deaa07b77c4b67490b9c63ec5.png

When we got started, the car rose to ride hight, in typical Citroën fashion 😀

This car was later replaced by a green Xantia Diesel...

image.png.95d1b1cd0767ed50a197759e74210c71.png

• Like 1

Carl:  All it had was the cowl, radiator and a seat.  The rest of the body was gone, no fenders.  I took the hood off from time to time.  It was what we called a "jalopy" to run around the back woods in.  We made our own roads, had a lot of fun.  It growled in second gear and would pop out of second all by itself.  If you tried and hold it in second it would break your arm!

• Like 1

A black with red interior 1955 Plymouth Savoy 3 on the tree with over drive. My uncle gave it to my mom, after things got a little warm on the street. Haha! He taught me how to drive, which was not really a wise thing. He even gave me his old route and connections It was a very good year or three..

• Like 1

I learned to drive in an early 80's Nissan Sunny which was rear ended by a London style taxi cab during my third lesson! The rest of my lessons were done in a late 80's Nissan Micra. I remember it was snowing on my first lesson, and on my test day it hammered down with rain so bad that the examiner directed us back to the test station after only twenty minutes. Being such a short test I thought I failed, but I past first time:) Either he felt it was unsafe to keep going or thought there's no way anyone could do a driving test in this, though he did comment on how I took control of the situation by turning on the blower, heated window ect. It really was raining that day and I don't think I've seen a downpore like that since, it was literally like driving through a carwash.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Began in the family '48 Plymouth 2-dr sedan, but driver training in '61 in a new Ford Custom 300 4-dr sedan.  Our dealer got in two black '61's, on with six/stick for driver training at our high school, and the other, ominously, for the local police department -- like Mayberry, a one-car operation.  It was the Interceptor package 390 V-8, and three-speed.  I was pulled over by it in my first car, a '55 Chevy Delray 2-dr 'post' car, but 'catch and release' that time worked!

I wish we still had the Plymouth; it was a nice looking ride.  Do have Dad's next car, a 1951 Chevy two-door sedan, now restomodded.  Editorial:  I think kids who got driver-qualified in high school became far superior drivers to the current 'Jerrio the Clown Driving School' format!!!!

• Like 1