Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seeking advice since I'm just an aircraft guy who dabbles in automotive and am often clueless.  Saw a show recently with a '68 Charger redone in a shade called "Black Cherry."  As the name implies, it looks almost black from some angles and deep dark burgundy from others.  Was really taken with it, it was breathtaking.

Been doing searches and haven't found anything yet unless I want to fork over a couple hundred for a bit of professional paint.  Is this something available in our plastic world, and if so, where?

Thanks!

Interesting question. I've been kinda looking for something similar for a build of the Eddie Dye roadster.

Closest real-world color I've seen was on a late-model Caddy hippopotamus.

Somebody like MCW or Scalefinishes otter be able to mix it if you can find a color code.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Interesting question. I've been kinda looking for something similar for a build of the Eddie Dye roadster.

Closest real-world color I've seen was on a late-model Caddy hippopotamus.

Somebody like MCW or Scalefinishes otter be able to mix it if you can find a color code.

Yep, second place I went looking was in Scalefinishes.  Might be in there somewhere, but I didn't find it.

Actually found what I'm talking about, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rrI3qjWQc

IF you could find it, Model Masters made a Dark Cherry Pearl years ago. But, has been discontinued for quite some time. Try doing a search on ebay. I've scored some of the other colors a few times there. This is what it looks like.

20201223_170316-1.jpg.defea58497562af3391ed66ddde26f69.jpg

Another approach "on the cheap" using hobby paints and some pearl pigment (available at chains like Michaels and Hobby Lobby) with an airbrush would be to spray a black base coat, and follow it up with several coats of clear red with pearl pigment mixed in.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tamiya-color-lacquer-10ml/lacquer-lp-1-black/

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tamiya-color-lacquer-10ml/lacquer-lp-52-clear-red/

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/pearl-ex

Burying the pearl coats under some more clear red and clear top coat over the black should give you that black cherry effect.

A more dramatic effect would be to use some House of Kolor paints (available in smaller airbrush quantities through online vendors). Black Cherry Bomb or Candy Brandywine over a black base would get you a few different versions of that colour.

https://tcpglobal.com/pages/brand-house-of-kolor?gclid=CjwKCAjw_b6WBhAQEiwAp4HyIOfclWzXkWtVfXrXckxBk2dLMhf4VOXvV_9-n2ByaaqVQIN4dHw9lxoCmFMQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

DupliColor makes a color called Dark Garnet Red Pearl......... Not sure it's exactly what you want, here's how it looks.

I used the same color for a customer build. It's quite nice. Check the Duplicolor line at whichever auto parts store carries the best selection. PepBoys in my experience. 

1 hour ago, Nacho Z said:

Gravity Colors - Spain - sells a General Motors Dark Cherry, #GC-283. Beautiful color. I have some spoon tests, white primer and silver base. I’ll try to post pics later tonight if you would like.

I believe that is the color used on the '90s Impals SS (and possibly other vehicles).  Friend of mine owned that car. Any of the model paint companies (Gravity is one of them) that can mix  paint using 1:1 automotive paint formulas should be able to mix it for you.

28 minutes ago, peteski said:

I believe that is the color used on the '90s Impals SS (and possibly other vehicles).  Friend of mine owned that car. Any of the model paint companies (Gravity is one of them) that can mix  paint using 1:1 automotive paint formulas should be able to mix it for you.

Peter, I believe that is correct.  When I was looking for actual examples of the paint the Impala SS showed up.  I may be weird in the fact that I will buy paint before I have a particular model picked out for it.  This is especially true when I am paying shipping from overseas.  I do the same thing with Zero Paints.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently tried doing the exact same thing on a corvette after seeing an Eagle e-type speedster on Top Gear.

I used tamiya rattle cans in steps…grey primer, gloss black base, pearl clear, clear red, tamiya smoke, ts-13. It’s basically black until the sun hits it. 
7856FEB1-D436-4E4D-AE41-9B280BE665B2.thumb.jpeg.add0f7940e76ee70f2244b9d11fa7163.jpegF761D6BD-7D04-40A1-B7AF-FD05E1F8E549.thumb.jpeg.30d7fe59440ed49e68359cda07c4243c.jpegB785C91F-54D1-44C5-ACDD-96930561FA12.thumb.jpeg.eba3990138d703eaeae4e719c374f50e.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, radiohd10 said:

I recently tried doing the exact same thing on a corvette after seeing an Eagle e-type speedster on Top Gear.

I used tamiya rattle cans in steps…grey primer, gloss black base, pearl clear, clear red, tamiya smoke, ts-13. It’s basically black until the sun hits it. 
7856FEB1-D436-4E4D-AE41-9B280BE665B2.thumb.jpeg.add0f7940e76ee70f2244b9d11fa7163.jpegF761D6BD-7D04-40A1-B7AF-FD05E1F8E549.thumb.jpeg.30d7fe59440ed49e68359cda07c4243c.jpegB785C91F-54D1-44C5-ACDD-96930561FA12.thumb.jpeg.eba3990138d703eaeae4e719c374f50e.jpeg

Brilliant. That paint looks great, and the effect is perfect in the sunlight. One of the nicest examples of black cherry I've seen on a model.

• Like 1