Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 5/5/2022 at 4:17 PM, Carmak said:

I found these locally over the last couple weeks.

71 Mustang is built (in the box) (MPC)

Super Teen is just a very cool empty box

71 Camaro is partially built (MPC)

73 Camaro Warlord (MPC)

72 Road Runner (hand painted Sox & Martin) (MPC)

65 Imperial (AMT)

65 Chevelle (Time Machine AWB) (AMT)

67 Toronado (MPC)

71 Duster (MPC)

70 Chevy C-10 (AMT)

71 Torino (ElToro) (AMT)

69 Grand Prix (needs stock bumpers) (MPC)

67 Barracuda still has the slant 6 in it (missing the intake) (AMT)

66 Cadillac Ambulance (JoHan)

71 GTO (MPC)

Resized952022050395203344.jpg

Some great cars you found..

On 5/6/2022 at 11:13 PM, 89AKurt said:

Found out about Texas 3D Customs on this forum, highly recommended.  Charles offers special orders, so I asked for a Mercedes 180, showed him a source of a file I had bookmarked, he responded that it would not work because it was for video games, but he took the time to find another source of the same thing, so it worked out.  Got the seats and engine from his website.  I haven't been been at the bench for a couple of months now, but still buying models. 🙄

IMG_3808.thumb.jpg.1bef42feb005156d736ff79c434054aa.jpg
IMG_3809.thumb.jpg.971208c3891c75089c97ac7186f31722.jpg
IMG_3811.thumb.jpg.0f1616e4da88c6c92f648243989ca029.jpg

Nice car. I have that 190 SL kit. Opened the box and the passenger side body panel was not in there. Are you willing to part with the panel?

On 5/7/2022 at 1:13 AM, 89AKurt said:

Found out about Texas 3D Customs on this forum, highly recommended.  Charles offers special orders, so I asked for a Mercedes 180, showed him a source of a file I had bookmarked, he responded that it would not work because it was for video games, but he took the time to find another source of the same thing, so it worked out.  Got the seats and engine from his website.  I haven't been been at the bench for a couple of months now, but still buying models. 🙄

IMG_3808.thumb.jpg.1bef42feb005156d736ff79c434054aa.jpg
IMG_3809.thumb.jpg.971208c3891c75089c97ac7186f31722.jpg
IMG_3811.thumb.jpg.0f1616e4da88c6c92f648243989ca029.jpg

I'm glad to see you found that Kurt. I know you've been looking for a 1/2 decent kit of that car for quite a while.

• Like 2

I've been after this one for a while...a reasonably priced but perfect AMT '67 Galaxie. Yeah, there are resin repops, but I wanted a real-deal. This promo is exactly what I needed.

Image 01 - 1967 Ford Galaxie Hardtop Promo

I'll be pulling molds to do a scale version of Blunc's (Mike Cassidy) stunning restyle of the car, shown here some time ago. I think his rework on this is some of the best I've ever seen, taking the already nice lines of the Galaxie and cooking them down to a roughly Mustang-sized car...kinda like reducing a sauce to intensify the flavors.

BEFORE:

5c15378eb863a_1967FordGalaxie500side.JPG.a77c69526b2f722c17dc9fe383ee9d5f.JPG

AFTER:

67galaxie-sport.thumb.jpg.9dce1e3b2aec76b37f210896135ec38a.jpg

• Like 3

I was looking at the Storm and then moved onto the pick ups.  Didn't really need those but when the seller said $20 for all of them, they followed me home.  

I don't think the Beretta and the Storm have seen the light of day since the assembly line.

GM Promos.jpg

19 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've been after this one for a while...a reasonably priced but perfect AMT '67 Galaxie. Yeah, there are resin repops, but I wanted a real-deal. This promo is exactly what I needed.

I'll be pulling molds to do a scale version of Blunc's (Mike Cassidy) stunning restyle of the car, shown here some time ago. I think his rework on this is some of the best I've ever seen, taking the already nice lines of the Galaxie and cooking them down to a roughly Mustang-sized car...kinda like reducing a sauce to intensify the flavors.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Cool project idea!  I'll watch this one for sure once you start 😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Cool project idea!  I'll watch this one for sure once you start 😉

Thanks for your interest. I'm kinda wanting to do the thing like you'd build a real car, but not having any representation of a frame under the promo, I need a donor. The '66-'68 big Ford frames are, if I'm not mistaken, the same design, so the AMT '66 Galaxie should be a suitable starting point for reasonable cost.

Thing is though, as Mr. Cassidy's version is so much smaller, Id like to build it a lot lighter than using a shortened Galaxie frame would give me in the real world, so I'm looking at Mustang unibodies, which could work in reality with fabricated sheetmetal rocker boxes and cowl.

The last option is something built as a totally ground-up show-car project, using a fabbed tubular chassis, or possibly a stretched Cobra or even Viper frame...or a Revell Shelby Series I frame to keep it kinda "all Ford".

Right now I'm leaning towards both ends of the spectrum...a shortened Galaxie chassis with "pro touring" upgrades and old-school motive power, or Viper or Shelby  underpinnings and Coyote power.

Decisions, decisions.  B)

On 5/8/2022 at 9:18 AM, lordairgtar said:

Nice car. I have that 190 SL kit. Opened the box and the passenger side body panel was not in there. Are you willing to part with the panel?

So I have an idea here if you can convince Kurt to lend me that panel I can scan it and print you the part.

Another for a 2022 NASCAR from SalvinosJR.  My wife's favorite driver so she was easy to persuade.  Happy for the next gen car and to support a domestic manufacturer.  This looks way more detailed than the old Monogram kits.

DSCN6453.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 7:00 PM, HomerS said:

I was looking at the Storm and then moved onto the pick ups.  Didn't really need those but when the seller said $20 for all of them, they followed me home.  

I don't think the Beretta and the Storm have seen the light of day since the assembly line.

GM Promos.jpg

That was a great deal !!

On 5/9/2022 at 6:52 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Real nice little gem you found and bought Bill!  Does it go to the front  of the build list?

17 hours ago, slusher said:

Real nice little gem you found and bought Bill!  Does it go to the front  of the build list?

Thanks for your interest Carl. Its at the top of the figuring-out-how-I-want-to-do-it list, but I'm not doing any building now. I already moved a bunch of model stuff west, I have two big real-car jobs to finish up here before I go permanently, and I need to be packing everything else to get gone.   :D

Since I have a source for buying new kits near wholesale cost, got these.  Didn't know I wanted a London taxi, but imagine the possibilities.  Disappointed about picking the wheel set, will sell or trade those.  Even though I'm a bit turned off with the latest exotics, I like the Senna for some reason.

IMG_3837.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 4:52 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I will definitely be following this (when you get around to it), good luck on your move, hope to see you at the Desert Scale Classic when you get settled in.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, bbowser said:

Another for a 2022 NASCAR from SalvinosJR.  My wife's favorite driver so she was easy to persuade.  Happy for the next gen car and to support a domestic manufacturer.  This looks way more detailed than the old Monogram kits.

DSCN6453.JPG

We don't see these in the UK and they are expensive to import, are they a reasonable price in the US, and are they well detailed please? If so I may get my eldest son who is in Canada to send me one.

9 hours ago, PatW said:

We don't see these in the UK and they are expensive to import, are they a reasonable price in the US, and are they well detailed please? If so I may get my eldest son who is in Canada to send me one.

They go from about $33 to close to $40 depending on the kit. Canadian $ is a bit more.  Be aware that some of the kits are re branded Monogram NASCAR models from the 80s. The 70s era cars like the Oldsmobiles are Salvino's own tooling. The new 2022 NASCAR is Salvino's own tooling. All are nicely detailed.

9 hours ago, blunc said:

I will definitely be following this (when you get around to it), good luck on your move, hope to see you at the Desert Scale Classic when you get settled in.

Thanks for the comment Mike, and thanks for the inspiration.

I'll be trying to do it in 1/25 scale much as I'd do it in full-scale, pulling molds from existing panels, pulling parts from those molds, doing the cut-and paste on an armature, then pulling molds from the completed patterns.

I can make (and have shown on the forum) body parts from epoxy/fiberglass that are in the .010"-.020" thickness range, and are tougher than styrene. The width and track, and the large engine bay of the Viper chassis have it in the lead for now, and as a real wrecked Viper can actually be sourced for "reasonable" money, it's entirely feasible in reality.

I was thinking about using a Coyote engine, but I'm now leaning towards an all aluminum FE engine to maintain more of the original spirit of the car, with "adequate" power...and relative simplicity.

Aluminum FE engines are available in reality.   https://bearblockmotors.com/bbm-aluminum-ford-fe-block/

An aluminum smallblock Ford is also a possibility, maybe a better option, in order to get the nose weight down for handling to match the car's looks.    https://billmitchellproducts.com/product-category/engine-blocks/ford-small-block-6/sb-ford-aluminum/

Your excellent profile images make it possible to accurately scale the required body mods.

I'll let you know when I'm able to get going on the model...probably early next year.   :D

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...