Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
CaseyG83

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Recommended Posts

On 12/16/2020 at 2:26 PM, Mr mopar said:

Be careful with those decals the ink rubs off easily. 

Thanks for tip 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went in to a relativley newly built store in a town i havent visted for a year or two.
Found these in the toys section of the store.
The plane is made by ICM and just repacked by Revell.
The engine is almost fully detailed even if you cant see alot of it
IMG_20201219_145453.thumb.jpg.4e657930d3131e9b7d61fb01aeab6d3e.jpg
IMG_20201219_145549.thumb.jpg.f28e3f90676a3273e7ea5964a59962ec.jpg
IMG_20201219_145611.thumb.jpg.e706205cfb103a02dfb6b44e7cb0d660.jpg
IMG_20201219_145652.thumb.jpg.abeb1a024d0fa1d08a31934dcd540fb3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PierreR89 said:

Went in to a relativley newly built store in a town i havent visted for a year or two.
Found these in the toys section of the store.
The plane is made by ICM and just repacked by Revell.
The engine is almost fully detailed even if you cant see alot of it
IMG_20201219_145453.thumb.jpg.4e657930d3131e9b7d61fb01aeab6d3e.jpg
IMG_20201219_145549.thumb.jpg.f28e3f90676a3273e7ea5964a59962ec.jpg
IMG_20201219_145611.thumb.jpg.e706205cfb103a02dfb6b44e7cb0d660.jpg
IMG_20201219_145652.thumb.jpg.abeb1a024d0fa1d08a31934dcd540fb3.jpg

Nice score!

I picked up that Mustang off of a guy recently for $10. I really like that Unimog though!!

Later-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to Secret Santa myself as Round 2 has reissued several versions of the AMT Ford van , but the MPC version has not come back.

Years ago, my sister in law told my wife that I'm very hard to buy for as if I see something I want, I just buy it.  Comes from my childhood as I used to select things from Sears catalog and Santa's accuracy was on par with Shaq from the free throw line.  Fast forward to a few years ago....Sam's Club has a Maisto 1/18 Nissan GT-R I wanted.  The girlfriend of my oldest son had a family pass so I asked them to get it for me.  That request was redirected twice and, well, I still don't have one.  A couple years later, we pulled names from a bowl for Christmas in which we all put possible items for under the tree.  I am a bourbon snob and one of the things I was a small bottle of Jack.  I got a bigger bottle of 'bourbon' that became a quest to figure out where it came from......finally found it at WalMart.  Bourbon and WalMart should not be used in the same sentence.

 

MPC Ford off road van.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Bourbon and WalMart should not be used in the same sentence.

 

 

Ever have WalMart pizza?

One word.  DON'T.

'Nuff said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark said:

Ever have WalMart pizza?

One word.  DON'T.

'Nuff said.

Yeah...caused public school lunch flashback.  Food was so bad that the students organized a brown bag boycott to get the school to change.  This was over 40 years ago and it took alot to get everyone to participate back then.  Now kids flip out if there's not a vegan, gluten free, non GMO option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

Went in to a relativley newly built store in a town i havent visted for a year or two.
Found these in the toys section of the store.
The plane is made by ICM and just repacked by Revell.
The engine is almost fully detailed even if you cant see alot of it

Didn't know Dollarstore sold model kits. Good prices too, have to go check out my local stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Nice score!

I picked up that Mustang off of a guy recently for $10. I really like that Unimog though!!

Later-

Yes i think so to.
Converted to usd the price i paid is still under $20 for the mustang.
The unimog is nice, the only drawback is that the hood is molded closed and yet there is an engine in it.
But even if the hood was made to open you would not see much of the engine just as the real thing.
At my old job i worked on a unimog and got to drive it.
They are surprisingly easy to work on and extremely fun to drive
 

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

Didn't know Dollarstore sold model kits. Good prices too, have to go check out my local stores.

I think they always have sold kits but it is mostly planes and helicopters or revells dinosaur kits.
Now they must have changed inventory because now they have these  + the 1/1200 USS Hornet aircraft carrier complete with paint and glue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HomerS said:

I had to Secret Santa myself as Round 2 has reissued several versions of the AMT Ford van , but the MPC version has not come back.

Years ago, my sister in law told my wife that I'm very hard to buy for as if I see something I want, I just buy it.  Comes from my childhood as I used to select things from Sears catalog and Santa's accuracy was on par with Shaq from the free throw line.  Fast forward to a few years ago....Sam's Club has a Maisto 1/18 Nissan GT-R I wanted.  The girlfriend of my oldest son had a family pass so I asked them to get it for me.  That request was redirected twice and, well, I still don't have one.  A couple years later, we pulled names from a bowl for Christmas in which we all put possible items for under the tree.  I am a bourbon snob and one of the things I was a small bottle of Jack.  I got a bigger bottle of 'bourbon' that became a quest to figure out where it came from......finally found it at WalMart.  Bourbon and WalMart should not be used in the same sentence.

 

 

Jeff I feel your pain with presents. What has happened to you is why I don't get into gift exchanges and was the first to leave the family name draw. You give them 3 things to choose from still random things they want to buy for you. I am the Grinch of the family they say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In today's mail I got the new AMT 007 1971 Mustang Mach I. Other than a change to the front end, it's still same old MPC '73 Mustang kit from the past. Including the cowl vents in hood. It's an improvement over the Ertl/MPC '71 Boss 351 kit. But not by much. I'm a little disappointed. 

 

IMG_4288.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG

IMG_4291.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week's arrivals:

50737336416_e208823bec_b.jpg

1:24 Hasegawa Nissan Sunny Truck (Early) kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I built the later version of this kit a few months ago. If I was sufficiently good at scratchbuilding I'd use it as the basis for recreating my 1:1 2-door saloon - maybe something to consider if I can find something else with roughly the right shape of rear bodywork?

50737335086_29ae842231_b.jpg

1:24 Aoshima Nissan Cedric/Gloria Hardtop kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I've had pillared saloon and estate version of this car at 1:1 before, they're amusing things with a smooth V6 but dated styling. Already got a couple of other issues of this Aoshima kit so must get one onto the bench next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped at Hobby Lobby on the way to pickup lunch at Cracker Barrel . That was a mistake but I did manage to get some paint and make it out alive . 

8A0C2602-B0C4-4CAE-920E-632035DDC9DD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

In today's mail I got the new AMT 007 1971 Mustang Mach I. Other than a change to the front end, it's still same old MPC '73 Mustang kit from the past. Including the cowl vents in hood. It's an improvement over the Ertl/MPC '71 Boss 351 kit. But not by much. I'm a little disappointed. 

 

IMG_4288.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG

IMG_4291.JPG

Plus it's molded in red and probably "brittle styrene plastic"..... ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't pass up a sealed Revell '48 Ford Coupe for less than $9.00.

208304626_PXL_20201221_1503587332.thumb.jpg.e675e5936514b869178f9ea51b105f56.jpg

 

Edited by Casey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a '65 GTO roof/rear window for when the '64 Cutlass kit arrives:

2063036872_65gtoroof.jpg.f6a002f63c1a8762cc8968c6944f0f57.jpg

I see it lost its drip rails over the years but I can fix that. Hope it will blend into the convertible body OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Casey said:

Couldn't pass up a sealed Revell '48 Ford Coupe for less than $9.00.

208304626_PXL_20201221_1503587332.thumb.jpg.e675e5936514b869178f9ea51b105f56.jpg

 

Nice score Casey..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aoshima 1/23 MGB for the C1 GT btody that will hopefully be here soon, Hasegawa BMW 2002 and a Revell 62 Chevy.  Also a check for some of my consignment kits that have been sold.

I made a trip to the San Fernando Valley and hit wo local hobby shops that are still open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got these in yesterday's post, as much for the AMT Matchbox box art nostalgia as the quaility of the kits:

IMG_4875.JPG.1a14893327382df5c4d5f19dd39abc06.JPG

I was hoping the Monza could be built near-stock, and it could if it wasn't for only having the IMSA-style front end. I like the look of these and their similarity to some European GM cars of the time like the Opel Manta B, and I have no desire to build it with the big arches. Might have to get creative with spare bumpers and spoilers in the parts box, unless anyone can suggest a source for the standard offering or has one spare?

I presume this Mustang is similar to the recent issue Warren Topes kit that I also have? I'm looking to build something with an early '80s Street Machine look as I used to daydream about when I was a teenager. Looks like I now have another option on what to do with it.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

anyone can suggest a source for the standard offering or has one spare?

AMT, MPC, Revell, and Otaki all did versions of the Monza.
 

https://monza.homestead.com/models.html

The easiest one to find would be the recently reissued AMT version, which is what the one you have is based on, I believe:

86884EC8-176F-4B83-AB82-3F658A12AEEB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...