Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

My bench adventures yesterday, working on the trailer for the custom speedboat:

I made a license plate a few weeks ago, but printed it on heavy cardstock just for fun. I sprayed it with several coats of clear to seal it. I went looking through my PE stuff for a frame and came up empty handed. I found a piece of painter's tape that had a partially used set, and cut one off of the fret. Problem was that the fret had been stuck to the tape for probably four years or more. Of course, I bent the frame trying to get it unstuck from the tape. Straightened the frame, and decided to try that Pledge Floor Wax/Dessert Topping stuff that y'all love to attach the frame to the plate. Clear sealant be darned, the New Shimmer soaked right into the cardstock and did nothing to attach the frame to the plate. Giving up on that, I decide to add some taillamps (kit doesn't have any). I can't find my epoxy anywhere. OK, everyone of a certain age remembers the Holsclaw trailers that always came with game-show boats, right? I have no idea what brand the prototype for this trailer is, but I made some "Holsclaw" decals for it, just for fun. My decal paper must have gone bad, because the decals would not stick for anything. I put some MicroSol on a brush, and the decal curled up like a dead leaf instantly. Then I noticed the bubbles in the clear on the right fender that I didn't know were there. Oh, and I have been fighting the parting line seam on the boat's engine as well. Lots of glue, scraping with a knife, sanding stick, filler primer. It is still visible. I have mostly killed the little one on the front, but I can't make the one on the transmission go away and I think it will be somewhat visible with the engine compartment doors open.

I drank some beers and watched TV instead.

Had a flawless paint job on an AMT  65 Chevelle wagon but when I went to shoot clear on it I picked up the wrong can. Didn't even notice. The clear looked great when I put the car in the shoebox to cure but when I checked later the paint was all wrinkled up! Lacquer over enamel!!! ?

Now I have 3 soaking in the purple pond. A Willys panel that I painted when it was too cold and a 65 Nova funny car that the paint fish eyed  really bad on . Candy red over silver base.

My wife evidently sprayed room freshener through the ac system when the car was on the bench!?

Also working on a 1:1 66 Buick Special and although the most solid car from all appearances with solid floors and most trunk and lower quarters I keep finding rust in some of the oddest places????

One of my local LHS has irked me,   filling up a empty slot with the wrong product just make it the rack look full, so instead of getting jar of semi gloss clear lacquer, its flat, and then go back about three weeks later and that same slot is still full of the product,  I guess there is shortage

Ok, my irk, dont fill up the slot with the wrong product just to make the rack look full, or put a sign up that indicates this is not the right product for this slot.

And Irked at myself for not double checking the product I am getting is the one I want.

12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

One of my local LHS has irked me,   filling up a empty slot with the wrong product just make it the rack look full, so instead of getting jar of semi gloss clear lacquer, its flat, and then go back about three weeks later and that same slot is still full of the product,  I guess there is shortage

Ok, my irk, dont fill up the slot with the wrong product just to make the rack look full, or put a sign up that indicates this is not the right product for this slot.

And Irked at myself for not double checking the product I am getting is the one I want.

That is exactly how I ended up getting a can of Testors Dullcote. In the wrong slot and didn't double check the label. I have since found uses for it though.

On August 16, 2019 at 5:28 PM, Rodent said:

My bench adventures yesterday, working on the trailer for the custom speedboat:

I made a license plate a few weeks ago, but printed it on heavy cardstock just for fun. I sprayed it with several coats of clear to seal it. I went looking through my PE stuff for a frame and came up empty handed. I found a piece of painter's tape that had a partially used set, and cut one off of the fret. Problem was that the fret had been stuck to the tape for probably four years or more. Of course, I bent the frame trying to get it unstuck from the tape. Straightened the frame, and decided to try that Pledge Floor Wax/Dessert Topping stuff that y'all love to attach the frame to the plate. Clear sealant be darned, the New Shimmer soaked right into the cardstock and did nothing to attach the frame to the plate. Giving up on that, I decide to add some taillamps (kit doesn't have any). I can't find my epoxy anywhere. OK, everyone of a certain age remembers the Holsclaw trailers that always came with game-show boats, right? I have no idea what brand the prototype for this trailer is, but I made some "Holsclaw" decals for it, just for fun. My decal paper must have gone bad, because the decals would not stick for anything. I put some MicroSol on a brush, and the decal curled up like a dead leaf instantly. Then I noticed the bubbles in the clear on the right fender that I didn't know were there. Oh, and I have been fighting the parting line seam on the boat's engine as well. Lots of glue, scraping with a knife, sanding stick, filler primer. It is still visible. I have mostly killed the little one on the front, but I can't make the one on the transmission go away and I think it will be somewhat visible with the engine compartment doors open.

I drank some beers and watched TV instead.

I think I would have called it a day also...

21 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Had a flawless paint job on an AMT  65 Chevelle wagon but when I went to shoot clear on it I picked up the wrong can. Didn't even notice. The clear looked great when I put the car in the shoebox to cure but when I checked later the paint was all wrinkled up! Lacquer over enamel!!! ?

Now I have 3 soaking in the purple pond. A Willys panel that I painted when it was too cold and a 65 Nova funny car that the paint fish eyed  really bad on . Candy red over silver base.

My wife evidently sprayed room freshener through the ac system when the car was on the bench!?

Also working on a 1:1 66 Buick Special and although the most solid car from all appearances with solid floors and most trunk and lower quarters I keep finding rust in some of the oddest places????

I spray Testors lacquer clear over Testors,Krylon, and Rustoleum enamels all the time with no problem. I always believed enamel over lacquer was the reaction...

On 8/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I can identify with that statement. B)

Old cars can be such a pleasure/challenge/sense of torture/accomplishment to work on. I have to say, this chevy is a solid car inside/out, wiring is the worst of it.

Don

7 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

Old cars can be such a pleasure/challenge/sense of torture/accomplishment to work on. I have to say, this chevy is a solid car inside/out, wiring is the worst of it.

Don

Painless makes a wiring kit for that. Rewiring a car would be a very big under taking, but if you have ever been driving down the road and the wiring harness starts to go up in smoke you might at least consider it.   

2 minutes ago, espo said:

Painless makes a wiring kit for that. Rewiring a car would be a very big under taking, but if you have ever been driving down the road and the wiring harness starts to go up in smoke you might at least consider it.   

Yup!! Not my car, customers car. I've done a few of the Painless full harnesses, pleasure to do especially on an empty car. This car has a newer partial fusebox/harness, with parts of the old harness for the rear and front. Installing a complete harness on this car would be relatively easy, not much in the way, small harnesses, not a lot of options. A harness in a newer car (2015 newer) now that's "fun".

Don

9 hours ago, Xingu said:

That is exactly how I ended up getting a can of Testors Dullcote. In the wrong slot and didn't double check the label. I have since found uses for it though.

That would of been a mistake I would of been happy with ?,  I like the Dullcote spary and always keep a can on hand ,  glad to hear you found a use for it.

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I think I would have called it a day also...

I spray Testors lacquer clear over Testors,Krylon, and Rustoleum enamels all the time with no problem. I always believed enamel over lacquer was the reaction...

The Testors is not a true lacquer paint.

It isn't as hot as a real lacquer is.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:19 AM, ewetwo said:

I ordered a Trumpeter 1964 Ford Falcon on Ebay a few weeks ago. The only place to buy this kit is China. Well it was delivered. But not to my house in Fonda, NY. But to an address in Doral, Florida. I sent a message stating this to the seller but no response. Then I notice his rating section. Guess what. The seller has been doing this all along. So it looks like I'm out some money.

Spoke to the local Post Office and they gave me the address and it seems the address is a business and most like is a scam seeing it was signed for at that address and it wasn't returned to that postal office as mistake. Scammers everywhere. 

This exact thing happened to me. Exact !I did get my money returned from Paypal

12 hours ago, Xingu said:

Dullcote!  My favorite color!   I always have a can in use and a new sealed one on deck.  Anytime I go into Hobby Lobby and don't find anything to use my magic coupon on,  I buy one of the main colors I use...  Dullcote, flat black,  decal fixative etc..

On 8/16/2019 at 11:19 AM, ewetwo said:

I ordered a Trumpeter 1964 Ford Falcon on Ebay a few weeks ago. The only place to buy this kit is China. Well it was delivered. But not to my house in Fonda, NY. But to an address in Doral, Florida. I sent a message stating this to the seller but no response. Then I notice his rating section. Guess what. The seller has been doing this all along. So it looks like I'm out some money.

Spoke to the local Post Office and they gave me the address and it seems the address is a business and most like is a scam seeing it was signed for at that address and it wasn't returned to that postal office as mistake. Scammers everywhere. 

You shouldn't have problem getting a refund from eBay. They are really good doing this if you request a refund or start a dispute.  I recently had couple of bad transactions and they refunded the money promptly.

8 hours ago, peteski said:

You shouldn't have problem getting a refund from eBay. They are really good doing this if you request a refund or start a dispute.  I recently had couple of bad transactions and they refunded the money promptly.

I filed a complaint with PayPal and hope they something. Seeing I filed a complaint with Paypal. I can't file one with Ebay. If PayPal doesn't work. I'm hoping Ebay will help me. Lesson learned. Check the ratings first and I don't think I'll buy anything from out of the US..

8 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I filed a complaint with PayPal and hope they something. Seeing I filed a complaint with Paypal. I can't file one with Ebay. If PayPal doesn't work. I'm hoping Ebay will help me. Lesson learned. Check the ratings first and I don't think I'll buy anything from out of the US..

It should work. The item wasn't delivered to your eBay / Paypal registered address.  That's rule one.

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It should work. The item wasn't delivered to your eBay / Paypal registered address.  That's rule one.

Cool. It was delivered and signed for in a place in Florida. I live in New York. Big difference. 

11 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I always go to eBay first (request refund, or start a dispute), then PayPal, then credit card (I use credit card for most PayPal payments).  In my (not very frequent) experience, eBay always comes through.  But if needed, I'm covered 3 ways.

50 minutes ago, peteski said:

I always go to eBay first (request refund, or start a dispute), then PayPal, then credit card (I use credit card for most PayPal payments).  In my (not very frequent) experience, eBay always comes through.  But if needed, I'm covered 3 ways.

I filed with paypal first and can’t file a dispute with eBay because of that. Live and learn. My first time also. When I went back and checked their ratings for the seller. I’m surprised EBay allows them to sell there anymore. There were 298 complaints about this seller posted since 11/2018. I’ll always check the rating of each seller in the future.

Edited by ewetwo

1 minute ago, ewetwo said:

I filed with paypal first and can’t file a dispute with eBay because of that. Live and learn. My first time also. When I went back and checked their ratings for the seller. I’m surprised EBay allows them to sell there anymore. There were 298 complaints about this seller posted since 11/2018. I’ll always check the rating of each seller in the future.

I'm sure you'll do fine with PayPal. The are closely integrated with eBay (even after the companies split up).

As far as the feedbacks go, what is the sellers positive rating percentage?  If those 298 negative feedbacks are among 20,000 feedbacks, they are still in eBay's good graces.  but if the total feedback of 2000, then that would not be so good for the seller.

20 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I have only filed a couple complaints with EBay but I was refunded both times...

9 hours ago, slusher said:

I have only filed a couple complaints with EBay but I was refunded both times...

I just got an email this morning from PayPal and they're refunding my money. Whew!

\Update. Money is back in my account. 

Edited by ewetwo