Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

While not really an irk but my little dog Cinnamon got into a fight with my beagle April and Cinnamon suffered a broken leg. The leg has to be amputated. She is in good spirits and doing well. We have a very good vet and they love Cinnamon. She will be home tomorrow. My vet sends me updates and pictures so every thing is going great so far.

20 hours ago, russosborne said:

Jiffy lube.

Been a while since I had the oil changed. Went there today, and they refused to do it since it has been too long "according to corporate". Seems they are now dating the oil filters and if you go back with a filter dated by them and your mileage is high from the last oil change they did they won't do it.

Yes, I know. But I generally don't have the ability anymore to do it myself. But if I want to go there anymore I guess I will have to change the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAHing filter myself so I can say I have had the oil changed elsewhere in between visits there. Or else find someplace else.

Russ

I used to always change my own Oil and Filter until I put a pencil to it and found that the Dealer will do it for not much more than what it cost me for the products alone. Last summer the wife got on another one of her economy kicks and I was back under the cars again doing the service. Next time they're due I show her the discount coupons from the Service Department. So I go down to the Dealer to get the Oil & Filter done and smell the new cars while I'm waiting. I went to pay the bill and the Service Writer is giving me grief because I had something other than an OEM Manufactures Oil Filter on the car. They have sold me two new Jeeps and a new Charger, they have done the lions share of the service on our three cars and Water Pumps and such. I agree with you I really don't appreciate  some Wet Nose Kid telling me how to take care of my rolling stock.   

58 minutes ago, russosborne said:

That sucks, hope she can come home soon and be okay with her new situation.

Russ

Update on Cinnamon, the vet called and said she in doing fine. She  has no problem being a Tripod and getting around fine. She loves the people at the vet and will recieve lots of love when she gets home tomorrow . Thanks for your concern and good wishes.

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

Update on Cinnamon, the vet called and said she in doing fine. She  has no problem being a Tripod and getting around fine. She loves the people at the vet and will recieve lots of love when she gets home tomorrow . Thanks for your concern and good wishes.

Hey buddy sorry to hear she got hurt but happy to hear she's doing well just get her home and give her lots of love!

vince

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

Update on Cinnamon, the vet called and said she in doing fine. She  has no problem being a Tripod and getting around fine. She loves the people at the vet and will recieve lots of love when she gets home tomorrow ...

Sorry to hear she got hurt so badly, glad she's got good care and a good home. 

5 hours ago, Renegade said:

While not really an irk but my little dog Cinnamon got into a fight with my beagle April and Cinnamon suffered a broken leg. The leg has to be amputated. She is in good spirits and doing well. We have a very good vet and they love Cinnamon. She will be home tomorrow. My vet sends me updates and pictures so every thing is going great so far.

Thank you for not giving up on her!  She'll adapt faster than you think she would.

I joke with the wife that I can call our vet and any of my foursome can get a same day appointment.  Call the family that I'm blowing from both ends and a fever.....they'll see me a week from this Friday.

20 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Thank you for not giving up on her!  She'll adapt faster than you think she would.

I joke with the wife that I can call our vet and any of my foursome can get a same day appointment.  Call the family that I'm blowing from both ends and a fever.....they'll see me a week from this Friday.

Ain't that the truth, as I know exactly what you're saying. I truly believe that a lot of doctors "think" that they can walk on water.

Some eBay amateurs just ran the price up on a decent builder kit l wanted higher than what an unbuilt on goes for tonight. The only bid that matters is the last on folks, fighting to stay the highest bidder four days before the auction ends only makes you spend more in the end. Now I've got to wait for another one to show up and hope the same thing doesn't happen to it.

18 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Some eBay amateurs just ran the price up on a decent builder kit l wanted higher than what an unbuilt on goes for tonight. The only bid that matters is the last on folks, fighting to stay the highest bidder four days before the auction ends only makes you spend more in the end. Now I've got to wait for another one to show up and hope the same thing doesn't happen to it.

I have always been an eBay sniper since joining eBay in 1999 (for the reason you stated) and yes, it irks me when the nickel-and-dimers keep outbidding each other days before auction ends.  Of course the sellers hope for that.

21 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Its why I rarely deal with bidding anymore,  and they are not always "amateurs" driving up the bid...............

4 hours ago, peteski said:

I have always been an eBay sniper since joining eBay in 1999 (for the reason you stated) and yes, it irks me when the nickel-and-dimers keep outbidding each other days before auction ends.  Of course the sellers hope for that.

Yep, I learned after my first auction trying to stay the highest bidder for days only ends up costing you more money. Now I only bid in the last 10 seconds of an auction and if I get I get it and if not there will be another one on there eventually. They ran the price up on a decent but not great built kit that should normally go for $70 or $80 to $127 then an open but largely untouched kit got post and they've run it up from $10 to $41 on the first day.  It would be funny if I wasn't trying to snipe the kit myself, and now somebodies holding the bag paying almost double on a built one.

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Its why I rarely deal with bidding anymore,  and they are not always "amateurs" driving up the bid...............

I try not to use auctions but sometimes it's unavoidable and yes, now that eBay doesn't show the ID of the current high bidder or winner schill bidding is harder to track. 

So last night a consturction crew working on installing traffic lights near my subdivision decided it would be a good idea to ignor the little utilities flags everywhere, and took out a gas main.

From 3pm yesterday until about 6am today, no gas. That means no heat, no hot water. In Canada. In winter.

Was repaired this monring, furnace up and running and water heater re-lit before I left for work, but I tell you...that was a b|tch of a shower this morning.

The kicker? This is the same construction company that took out a water main...twice...on the other side of town last summer. But our small town uses them because they're "local and offer great value for the community." Translation, they're cheap. THis came up in fall during our local elections, and was quite a point of contention during a couple of the candidates forums. Can't wait to see the reaction during the next few open council meetings. would be great to see some accountability here.

57 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

So last night a consturction crew working on installing traffic lights near my subdivision decided it would be a good idea to ignor the little utilities flags everywhere, and took out a gas main.

From 3pm yesterday until about 6am today, no gas. That means no heat, no hot water. In Canada. In winter.

Was repaired this monring, furnace up and running and water heater re-lit before I left for work, but I tell you...that was a b|tch of a shower this morning.

The kicker? This is the same construction company that took out a water main...twice...on the other side of town last summer. But our small town uses them because they're "local and offer great value for the community." Translation, they're cheap. THis came up in fall during our local elections, and was quite a point of contention during a couple of the candidates forums. Can't wait to see the reaction during the next few open council meetings. would be great to see some accountability here.

Complain to City Hall. If your elected officials don't hear from disgruntled citizens they think its OK to have your utilities torn up in the dead of winter. Make noise, let them know this is unacceptable to the citizenry they are supposed to represent. Maybe even a few burning pitch forks in the middle of town, see if they notice. That maybe a bit much but attend a few City Hall meetings and let them know this is unacceptable to you.

. , 

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

...would be great to see some accountability here.

Dude...it's 2018. "Accountability" is, like, so old fashioned. Get with the times, man. Things just happen.

And anyway, a lot more effort ought to be put into making sure the construction crew is gender and ethnically balanced.

It just DOESN'T MATTER if they know what they're doing.

Besides...expecting everyone doing a job to be competent is discrimination.

I worked construction (clerical) for a bunch of years.  On a lot of construction jobs, safety/barricades/signage is a much more substantial part of the overall cost than you'd think.  The person waving the flag or holding the sign gets paid a bit less than the guy on the jackhammer, but not much.  Cutting corners there can save a bunch of money for the "right" company.  The "right" companies can be narrowed down by comparing the list of companies getting awarded these jobs, with a list of campaign donors...

1 minute ago, Mark said:

I worked construction (clerical) for a bunch of years.  On a lot of construction jobs, safety/barricades/signage is a much more substantial part of the overall cost than you'd think.  The person waving the flag or holding the sign gets paid a bit less than the guy on the jackhammer, but not much.  Cutting corners there can save a bunch of money for the "right" company.  The "right" companies can be narrowed down by comparing the list of companies getting awarded these jobs, with a list of campaign donors...

Now that sounds like political influence and I can't see that happening anywhere in this country, can you? LOL!!!

The last construction-related place I worked (a commercial roofing contractor), the owner gave bonuses to the job foremen for bringing a job in under the estimated hours.  Naturally, the first corners cut were in setting up safety equipment.  That practice ended when someone literally walked off of a roof due to no safety barrier.  The (flat) building roofs were/are warrantied for 20 years.  The first one or two years (can't remember which) the contractor had to eat the repairs because the problem would be blamed on the installation and not the materials used.  Cutting corners on the installation meant sending guys back to (re)do things correctly; of course these repairs were always needed after the bonuses had been paid out.  Getting away from construction was the best thing I ever did, career-wise...