Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

Me neither, I thought that after Round2 took bought the whole model kit line from Tomy, all 3rd party specials were a thing of the past.

R2 will not allow Model King to do private issue kits any longer. Too bad as we had some great ideas for some kits.

R2 will not allow Model King to do private issue kits any longer. Too bad as we had some great ideas for some kits.

That's too bad. I liked the extra variety you guys provided. I was hoping for some '70s revivals, a couple of trucks, and some of the tool restoration you guys funded and generated.

If I were RC2, and I am not, I would backdate the '67 Charger to a '66. I know the wheelcovers and the seats are somewhere out there. I built the MPC '67 back in the day, and I have an unbuilt MPC and a Revell. I built this one when the Revell kit first came out.

2006_0819woodwardcruise070021.jpg.

My unbuilt MPC will probably be back-dated, as I have a set of Resin '66 seats, and a set of wheelcovers to do it.

Thats one I didn't realize, IS there a difference in the interior from the '66 to the '67 Chargers? I KNOW the exterior differences was in the side turn signal and rear marker lights, but........ I did NOT know the interiors were different! Because they were basically the same car, with a few revisions, I thought Mopar would have carried the interior over from the '66 to the '67..... To keep manufacturing costs down!

Take a look at the pages of the brochures from the Old Car Manual Project

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Dodge/1966_Dodge/1966-Dodge-Charger/1966-Dodge-Charger-09

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Dodge/1967_Dodge/1967-Dodge-Charger-Brochure/1967-Dodge-Charger-08

This will show the differences. The 1966 car also had a full length center console, and the 1967 car had a mini colsole for the rear seat passengers. The 1966-67 Chargers were 4 passenger cars, with fold down rear seats.

hows the detail and fidelity to reality on that Cosmic Charger dragster? it does say it added some options like a front mounted blower setup (seems all the rage these days but not sure why).

and how about the Honda 750? decent kit? anyone build it in previous incarnations?

jb

Edited by jbwelda

I built the Honda 750 back when it was new and it was a very good kit.

hows the detail and fidelity to reality on that Cosmic Charger dragster? it does say it added some options like a front mounted blower setup (seems all the rage these days but not sure why).

and how about the Honda 750? decent kit? anyone build it in previous incarnations?

jb

The front mount blower and wheel "pants" were probably added to let you take the streamlining another step or two further. Carl Casper did race a few 1:1 dragsters, but this one was more of a show car. I'll be getting my hands on one of these to see if it can be reworked to resemble Tommy Ivo's short-lived streamliner dragster.

Honda 750s were interesting as flattrackers up here. I didn't follow the dirt season as much, but the flattrackers all went ice racing in the winter. The Hondas were a good match for the Triumphs, Kawasaki twins and the Harleys on the big tracks, but they were a handful on the smaller or snottier tracks. They place they dominated was in the 750 Studded Sidecar class. (Back in the day when studdeds ran a left side hack and the monkeys hung out over it.) The twins couldn't keep up with the extra power, and the wide, low motor didn't hurt the handling in a hack rig. They were hard to beat, even through the eighties. The Kawasakis dominated the 1000 sidecars, and Suzuki owned the open class with the 1100. Yamaha, not to be left out, dominated the "thumper hack" class with the TT500. I will probably never get around to it, but an old ice hack would be a fun project. It would take several sets of hex heads to do all the studs, and a lot of scratchbuilding to make the hack, but it would probably never have to face another one on the contest tables.

So, who will be the first to buy three of these kits and build Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe?

• 2 weeks later...

and we ain;t got enough of this goofy stuff ? :huh:

VERY TRUE........but some people like that 'drag race' stuff........I never figured out why???? :huh:

I like it. Not every kit has to be serious. And a parody/fantasy kit can't be endlessly criticized by the nitpickers because it doesn't have a real one to compare to. :)

I'm assuming the "70 Monte Carlo reissue will be based on the 1/25 kit AMT/Ertl newly-tooled back in the mid-1990's or so, correct?  (It won't be based on a reissue of the much older, early-1970's Monte Carlo kit that was transformed into the Super Stocker dirt-track race car).