Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Tom Geiger said:

And they haven't had Duplicolor cans in a very long time!

The ones around here had the Duplicolor "Perfect Match" sprays not long ago.  I don't think they make the smaller cans anymore; these are 8 ounce cans, midway between the old 5 ounce cans and the larger 11 ounce sprays.  The thing that bugs me is they usually wipe out the color information, but that might be part of the deal by which they get them.  When the cans were themselves printed instead of having labels, I've seen them with the Duplicolor brand name obliterated.  I've got a few like that.

Check the automotive section too; they often have 3M wet/dry sandpaper.  This is 3M, made in USA or Canada, not the no-name Chinesium stuff that falls apart when you dip it in water.  

Edited by Mark
misspelling

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

And that Revell pre-painted Camaro.

I built one of those last year. It came out looking great and I didn't do a thing to the finish. Might be the least effort I've EVER put into an acceptable looking model. 

Today I bought the red Corvette. I'd have bought the Challenger if it were any color other than purple. 

46 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I built one of those last year. It came out looking great and I didn't do a thing to the finish. Might be the least effort I've EVER put into an acceptable looking model. 

Today I bought the red Corvette. I'd have bought the Challenger if it were any color other than purple. 

Mine had the red and purple challenger. I bought the red. If you want one I can check the next time i’m down there.

47 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Mine had the red and purple challenger. I bought the red. If you want one I can check the next time i’m down there.

Thanks but I don't really need one that bad. And who knows, the red ones could show up at my place next week. B)

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Our local Ollie's was kind of a bust this time.  I'll try again next week, I suppose.

Has anyone seen any variation of the L-700 at Ollie's this time?

Mine had the truck by itself, the flatbed/40 Ford combo and the yellow tanker version. 

• 3 weeks later...

Second wave?  One of the local stores has only the Danica Fusions but another one was fully stocked including a few that weren't out several weeks ago

Lindberg  Dodge D700  cab only      $15.99

Lindberg  Dodge D700 w/chrome tanker   $24.99

21 hours ago, HomerS said:

Second wave?  One of the local stores has only the Danica Fusions but another one was fully stocked including a few that weren't out several weeks ago

Lindberg  Dodge D700  cab only      $15.99

Lindberg  Dodge D700 w/chrome tanker   $24.99

.........and this part of Ohio had a second wave of these including the 1/12 Fiat and B-17 bomber.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:01 AM, Ron Hamilton said:

I have enough model cars for 4 lifetimes. That being written, I'll pass.

you and me both.

I'm actually trying my best to keep modern or recently tooled kit purchases to a bare minimum and concentrate of my old annuals / drag car wants list. But even its getting incredibly small nowadays / aka very limited purchases. And even then it has to be a pretty good buy for me to bite . The days of my over paying for ANY kit is over. I already have far more than I will probably ever build while I am on the green side  .

I want one of the new Dyon Don cougar kits. But I can wait till I get a good deal on one. Buying off the net and paying postage , isnt going to happen. I'll do without it first

Edited by gtx6970

On 5/20/2018 at 1:01 AM, Ron Hamilton said:

I have enough model cars for 4 lifetimes. That being written, I'll pass.

I agree Ron, I have enough WIPs on the bench to keep me busy for awhile, much less build any of the 100+ in the stash. I am being real selective now on my purchasing of new kits and have actually started looking at selling some more off, just don't see myself getting them all built.

Ollie's stores must be getting in fresh batches of kits.  Went to my closest one today. It had several kits that were not available on my last visit, 2 weeks ago: the Revell Danica Patrick NASCAR kit; Lindberg Dodge L-700 with chrome tanker trailer; Lindberg '25 Tall T hot rod; Revell pre-painted 2014 Mustang in several different colors.  Also the Lindberg classic Bugatti Victoria and '29 Mercedes kits.  And probably some others I forgot. 

Edited by Mike999
error

The Ollie's (2 of them) around here seem to have sold out of the '61 Impala Convertibles - which surprises me considering how old a boxing the kits were, those have been sitting around a warehouse nearly since they were $8 originally. I had almost convinced myself to get one to combine with the factory stock parts out of one of the '61 Coupes I have with the original funked up bodies.

Other than that the "2nd Wave" has been the large scale Fiat Dragster and the D700s in Cab only, and Tanker & Flatbed combos. Plus there's plenty of "left over" pre-painted Stangs, Vettes, Challengers along with a few CASES of Danica Fusions (why did they run off nearly 11k of those specific kits?!?!?!?) and the regular Lindberg antique junk and reboxed/named Boyd stuff.

Edited by niteowl7710

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, mikemodeler said:

I agree Ron, I have enough WIPs on the bench to keep me busy for awhile, much less build any of the 100+ in the stash. I am being real selective now on my purchasing of new kits and have actually started looking at selling some more off, just don't see myself getting them all built.

Just  100 .

Rookie .

I probably have at least 5-600 range , maybe closer to 700.  So i dont NEED anything

About the only current kit on my radar is the Dyno Don cougar. Otherwise I want to avoid adding to the pile if I can with current kits.

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Just  100 .

Rookie .

I probably have at least 5-600 range , maybe closer to 700.  So i dont NEED anything

About the only current kit on my radar is the Dyno Don cougar. Otherwise I want to avoid adding to the pile if I can with current kits.

I once had about 500, a job loss and the realization that I was never gonna build them all woke me up. Whittled down the ones I wasn't gonna build, still have some more to sell off, but getting closer to having what I will build in the stash. 

• 1 month later...

From the looks of the latest Ollie’s flyer, they bought $200M of Toys R Us’ inventory and it goes on sale at Ollie’s today (23AUG2018). Not sure if Toys R Us sold models, or if they did, what the selection was like, but it may be worth a trip to Ollie’s. Thought I’d pass it along. 

Model On.

Yup,  old story...  my sister in law worked at Toyz corporate as a college intern and rose to a directors position.  As part of their jobs they had to do a proposal for new business ideas. She tapped me and we presented  "The Hobby Shop at TRU" .  It was a concept of a full aisle of model kits, tools and supplies.   She got a good response as a presentation, but it never went anywhere.

Back when I got started in this hobby some 30 years ago, Child World did a clearance on their model kits.  I went store to store and literally pushed my cart against the shelf and dumped all the model cars into it at $2.50 a kit!  I wound up with a lot of duplicates as trading stock.   My Pyrites Paddler '53 Ford pickup was one of those $2.50 kit!

Went to a Ollie's today.  They had kits....left overs from the last load. Lindberg 1/12 Fiats, Revell pre-paint Mustang and Challenger, Patrick Cup Ford and the ships/planes. Picked a Patrick Ford since the Cup kits are missing from new spreadsheet.