Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

My son dropped off the kits he got for me. NOT really sure why I had him pick up the RM Firebird kit. Opening it confirmed it the same horrible Revell kit from their toy era. It was molded in AUG 2023 so it was made just for Ollie's. We need a term for the Ollie's only run of kits!!! 

The Firebird is poor on detail, more flash than in the 70's when it was tooled. Front tires are hard plastic 2 piece with the rears pie crust slicks....maybe the best part of the kit.  For fun I may see if I can make SOMETHING half decent from this pigs ear!!!! Thx

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tbill said:

Anyone want to hook a brother up with one or two of those Camaro kits? None so far in my area, and although they are a train wreck of a kit, I’d love to get one or two of them.

I totally understand what you mean and I was about ready to bite the Ebay bullet on one for $25 and 6 bucks shipping but it turns out they were at my local store all along. You'll have to just cross your fingers and wait, hopefully it'll show up. There are some popping up on Ebay with sellers trying to capitalize on it. Ollie's is pretty common in my area but they're not everywhere. These sellers are on to it... Sucks but it's life, at least it's available even though you'll have to pay a higher price. 

Screenshot_20231203_082202.jpg

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Revell Olliegram

My theory is kits with the price stickers under the cellophane are made for Ollie's. Tagged before they are wrapped. The kits that have with the stickers on the outside are buy outs from Round 2 or major stores like Walmart. Who had them. But they didn't sell well enough to take up space it their stores.

Edited by ewetwo

Went to the Alexis and Lewis store in Toledo on Sunday. They have the 57 Nomad, 57 Chevy red box art, 56 chevy black car on the box, 64 Mustang convertible, 69 Camaro, 82 Vette, 32 ford roadster Monogram, AMT 32 Ford hot wheels car release and plenty of the Mach5'S and 1/32 scale green hornet. 

Just a few days ago, they didn't have much left but today they were loaded again. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 10:58 PM, Dave Van said:

My son dropped off the kits he got for me. NOT really sure why I had him pick up the RM Firebird kit. Opening it confirmed it the same horrible Revell kit from their toy era. It was molded in AUG 2023 so it was made just for Ollie's. We need a term for the Ollie's only run of kits!!! 

The Firebird is poor on detail, more flash than in the 70's when it was tooled. Front tires are hard plastic 2 piece with the rears pie crust slicks....maybe the best part of the kit.  For fun I may see if I can make SOMETHING half decent from this pigs ear!!!! Thx

What RM Firebird do you speak of ?

22 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Holy💩! Hallelujah!! Where's the Tylenol?! The 57 Hardtop! my favorite 1/24th kit and the first one mom ever let me paint and glue together. 😆 I can't wait to see this at my Ollie's!

img_1_1701738280110.jpg

Interesting.   I've never seen that decal on the '57.  I like that kit a lot too.   It was one of my early builds. 

• Like 1

Van Wert Ollie's Finally got the Monogram kit's (56 Chevy bel air, 32 Ford, 79/80 Trans Am, 57 Chevy Bel Air, 82 Corvette Silver snap 1/24, and the 57 Nomad. All but the Nomad were tagged at $12.99... What makes the Nomad priced for a higher price ($15.99)???? To make it stock you would have to find the 1/24 stock buildable Bel Air for the stock wheel's & stock steering wheel ......

• Like 1

I'm really surprised the Civil War Cannon hasn't resurfaced LOL. 

Not sure if it's company wide but I got this email about Ollie's night. Toys(and kits) are 25% off between 6-10pm on Sunday. I won't be able to make it due to other plans, but figured I'd get the word out in case y'alls local store is doing the same thing.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 020716.png

Edited by RSchnell
Added info.