Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Always love your updates Eric.  I had never heard of woodlites until you posted about them.  Did a quick search & was suitably impressed.  Such a great design touch for your car.  Phenomenal what you have going on here & I'm looking forward to more.  cheers, tim

Thank you all for the comments and compliments!!!  

Question.When these lights are delivered from Shapeways are they ready to paint and install,and if you don't mind sharing,what do they cost?Thanks!

Honestly Tom, I have no idea... I have had some wheels for an RC project printed in the same material once, and i just had to shoot them with some primer and they were good to go.   I will post some pictures when they show up, hopefully if everything goes okay they should ship to me on Friday.    As far as pricing goes, the first ones were like 9.00 in the frosted detail and 11.00 in the frosted ultra detail..  For the first set I spent the 2.00 extra hoping they can be nice and crisp and detailed. 

One really nice thing about shapeways, is once they have the model, you can make a virtual store front and anyone can buy your items and shapeways handles the rest.   So we shall see how it goes...for now i am waiting to see a physical print before i make the store live.

Super ultra boring update.

Shaped the hood sides

77ACB10C-9BBA-48C3-B6E6-8BF6C356103C.jpg

Made a firewall.. The Miller supercharged engine is pretty slick in the fact that the supercharger is at the back of the engine and half inside the fire wall.  This puts the carburetor under the cowl, so i will have to add some air inlets on each side of the cowl.   Pretty cool setup on the old indy cars.

BBF7D543-ACA3-4A8C-BE01-70FEB12D3617.jpg

1:1 example

Added extension pieces to the body to change the hood side shape.

6C07C3EA-833D-4E8C-80EA-74E480B5E680.jpg

Super rough... but should work after a good sanding and "truing" up.

339C95BE-03FE-409E-9807-C3F681983274.jpg

And one more... with the engine in.

0B81A928-68E2-4FE5-BB08-C70052AEC70B.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Thank you all for the comments and compliments!!!  

Honestly Tom, I have no idea... I have had some wheels for an RC project printed in the same material once, and i just had to shoot them with some primer and they were good to go.   I will post some pictures when they show up, hopefully if everything goes okay they should ship to me on Friday.    As far as pricing goes, the first ones were like 9.00 in the frosted detail and 11.00 in the frosted ultra detail..  For the first set I spent the 2.00 extra hoping they can be nice and crisp and detailed. 

One really nice thing about shapeways, is once they have the model, you can make a virtual store front and anyone can buy your items and shapeways handles the rest.   So we shall see how it goes...for now i am waiting to see a physical print before i make the store live.

I would be personally interested in getting a few sets of those Woodlites from you if that ever becomes a reality.Thanks.

I saw those... they are not mine.. if you notice the bottom of the lense comes to a perfect point, which isn't correct with the 1:1.. That's why I decided to do my own...  

82A51F9D-E727-48A7-9F18-D34E871C9B79.jpg

here is my non-active listing.. but price-wise.. they will all be within a dollar or so.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/D88VAJFSF/woodlight-inspired-headlights-1-24-1-25-scale

Edited by Impalow

Thanks guys!!!  Managed to get the hood sides and extensions all worked out and cleaned up last night.   The panel gaps still need a little massaging, but that can be done in primer.  I think i'm almost done with most of the rough-out body work... Just a lot of trim strips to add and its time to do some final cleanup and prime.  

Oh and i need to figure out how to connect those fender pods to the front and rear axles...

Feels like im building an airplane... Model A fuselage.

Thanks Phil and Jim!!

try being his friend! Haha

Holy....

I quit lol

Yeah I quit to! Friends or not...

hahaha.....Listen you guys there is no quitting... I need to be pushed to finish this thing by mid march.

On a good note my shapeways order is has passed all the pre-checks and is in process of printing. wooohoooo

Edited by Impalow

toys_2.thumb.jpg.96ca856ca381b483c00d17e

Where does he get those wonderfull toys ? !

been watching this from the start Eric.. excellent craftsmanship...

at first I thought too... I give up ... but the more I look the more it inspires me to just do the best that I can do....

Edited by D. Battista

Thanks guys!!!  Managed to get the hood sides and extensions all worked out and cleaned up last night.   The panel gaps still need a little massaging, but that can be done in primer.  I think i'm almost done with most of the rough-out body work... Just a lot of trim strips to add and its time to do some final cleanup and prime.  

Oh and i need to figure out how to connect those fender pods to the front and rear axles..

Great build!

If you needed a "plan B", you might consider tying the front and rear fenders together with running boards, and blending them into the A body like on the Bugatti at the beginning of your thread.  This could be done without altering the body shell.  The very heavy chrome along the sides adds a lot to the art deco look.