Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius - Now that the Comet is out, What's Next

Swifster

Some great ideas, but, the kits have to have appeal beyond a couple of versions or have international appeal. Other kit makers have made the staples, I.E. Camaro, Charger, 32 Ford, 57 Chevy, etc, etc....

So whatever is left on the table has to be considered quite seriously, or end up on the Island Of Misfit Toys. 

Kits like a checker would be great, if they where to be done as curb side type kits. Like the Crown Vic from Revell. Minimal parts to keep cost down and keep the price low. 

There are a number of good ideas represented however, I truly strongly desire that Moebius would keep a promise they made several years ago  of reissuing some of the AMC (American Motors Cars) kits.

And who promised this to whom?

Was it a definitive "promise", or a statement that they would simply take it into consideration?

I think that cash flow may be a problem with Moebius right now.  I know that they have the Ford 4X4 pickups tooled, but aren't promising when they will be released. I think that on kits like the Comet and Hudsons, once the initial rush by older modelers to buy them goes by, the rest sit on the shelves of hobby shops (at least the ones I frequent) and refill orders for additional kits aren't being placed.  I hope I'm wrong but in talking to owner of my local hobby shop, he said the only Moebius kits that he has had to reorder have been the Navistar Lonestar and ProStar, and the Ford pickups.  Without cash coming in, tooling and production of new kits has to be put on hold. 

Just my thoughts.

You have to remember though, that on the short term at least, Moebius (Revell, Round2, et al) don't really care whether or not your LHS can sell the stuff or not, so long as THEY can sell it to the front line distribution network.

Moebius said via their FB page at least once that there would be no new tooling announcements coming any time soon because of all of the backlog of existing variations they haven't even got to yet.

4x4 Ford, Ventura, NASCAR Pontiac, Satellite Drag, AWB Mopar Drag, Comet variants, etc...there's a good half dozen or more kits still stuck in the pipeline for which tooling the tooling is already cut.

What have you got against Moebius, to wish them out of business?

Just a good ol' goof . I love Moebius' products ; I love that they're producing "oddball" vehicles !

In reality , I'd like to see :

- 1973-1977 GM A-bodies

- 1971 Hornet S/C 360

- 1970-1972 El Camino / GMC Sprint

- 1975-1978 Monaco / Fury police car ( that MPC kit is quite long in the tooth ... and its inaccuracies are a bit off-putting : manual trans , 8 3/4 rear , giant wheels / tyres , and zero underhood details -- including an incorrect appearance for 1975 & later B-bodies )

- 1993-1996 9C1 Caprice

- 1970 Mustang Sportroof ( again , long in the tooth ... )

- 1971-1976 Camaro

-1973-1980 C10 / C15 two-wheel-drive ( I know ; the "C" prefix alludes to two-wheel-drive ...)

-1980-1986 F-100 / F-150 ( again , two-wheel-drive )

-1972 Charger Rallye / Road Runner / GTX

I could go on-and-on , ad nauseam , but my point is made .

Thinking... safe bets (and previously mentioned by others):

AMC Javelin/ AMX. Been requested by many; well known, and not available in 1/25 scale for quite some time.
Dodge Power Wagon. Iconic tough truck. Has military crossover potential.

Those are the only ones I would guess. Though, who really knows? The Hudsons were a surprise, but those came to be because one of the principals at Moebius had or has a Hudson.

I agree that the Dodge PowerWagon has a lot of potential. It would sell to parents who are buying models for their kids; it would sell to lovers of mud trucks and offroading, and it would appeal to the military crowd. Service vehicle modelers could enjoy it too: logging vehicles, bush trucks, ambulances...

Another iconic truck that I don't think is available in 1/25: The '49-'53 Studebaker 2R trucks. They have that apple-pie americana look, and can be built as farm trucks, customs, or mud trucks. They're a love-it-or-hate-it design, both stylish and ungainly. I think they're neat-o.

(Can't remember if I already posted that suggestion to this thread, haha)

Many have made suggestions for future models that I would never think of , but are interesting all the same. I think the Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillacs from the mid fifties thru the late sixties have been ignored by all of the model companies. I feel this has been a mistake because of all the interesting possibilities. I would like to see any '57 thru '66 Pontiac or Oldsmobile. The Buicks from '54 thru '62 were very nice cars. I know the '59 Cadillac  has been done, but has anyone thought about a '54 to '58 Caddy ?  There are many other possibilities from American Motors and Ford. I wouldn't mind a proper '69 Road Runner either. Choices choices so many choices.      

The only problem is that 95% of military modelers are working in 1/35 scale, so wouldn't be interested at all. I'd probably buy one, though.

For a company like Moebius it wouldn't work indeed, only for a manufacturer who caters the whole spectrum of the model kit market, cuz once the model is in the 3D files, they can adapt it for the various scales and needs, that come with it.