Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Spray Can seeping, anyone else have this happen?

I've had this happen to a significant portion of my Testors Model Masters lacquer spray paint cans - both the "One Coat" metalfllakes, and the muscle colors series.  I have  not noted it in my Tamiya cans 

I have other Testors Enamel cans, Pactra, even AMT 1960's spray paints that to this day have never leaked like the Testors lacquer cans have after just a few years..   I'm generally a big fan of Testors lacquer paints, but I'd sure like to know what (and why) is going on here.    TIM    

This is a timely thread--just last week I noticed that a couple of my One Coat Lacquer cans had oozed a bubble of material from the nozzle. I had never seen such a thing up to this point. These cans are probably 3-8 years old by now and had never given me any trouble.

Same here. Last week my Dullcote leaked solvent-smelling syrup all over the drawer my paints were stored in. I’ve tossed probably 10 cans of Testors in recent years, never Tamiya (knock wood). 

Now I have my Testors cans in $3.00 Tupperware containers, in case of any more leaks. 

I just checked my email, and found this response. (somehow missed that Testor's was owned by Rust-oleum). I will responding with their requested info.

"Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you have experienced with our Testor's spray cans. This is certainly not typical with this product, and not a common issue we have experienced. The formulas of the product and also We do have a couple questions to help us better assist you. Are these new cans you are experiencing this with or are the cans older that you may of had for a few years? How are the cans stored? How many cans have you experienced this issue with? When you have a moment please let us know and we will be happy to offer further assistance.

Regards,

Jim H

To help expedite your response, please reply directly to this e-mail without making any changes to the email body, or the Subject line

We have registered your complaint in our database.  Please refer to the File Number in the Subject line of this e-mail for any future reference to this complaint. 

I think most people experiencing the cans oozing just throw them away. It might be a good idea for all the people who had this happen to them (in this thread) to open up a case with RPM (Rustoleum) to maybe open their eyes to the fact that there is a problem.  With the advent of the internet, it is easy to notify the company about possible problem.

Just heard back from them today. 

Hi Mark,

Thank you for providing that information. The average shelf life for most of our products is 3-5 years, when stored correctly. If you can provide the product and batch codes from the underside of the cans, we can look into this further.

Attached is a photo identifying the product and batch codes from our can. Please note that these may vary slightly in placement / location on the can itself.

Batch Code Photo2.jpg

They told me that they would replace mine if I sent pictures, and sales receipts. Too bad I didn't keep 2 year old paint receipts.

I never keep paint receipts! That might be a sticking point. I don't really know why they would need those, if the product code and batch code numbers are sent in.

This happened to a can of Inca Gold lacquer and a can of "wet look" gloss clear lacquer.  It really angered me.  I paid $6.00 a can for those.  Whenever I buy Testors lacquer spray paint, I buy it only when I am ready to use it and I check the bottom of the can before I pay for it.

This happened to a can of Inca Gold lacquer and a can of "wet look" gloss clear lacquer.  It really angered me.  I paid $6.00 a can for those.  Whenever I buy Testors lacquer spray paint, I buy it only when I am ready to use it and I check the bottom of the can before I pay for it.

Well, I will sometimes use the Hobby Lobby coupon, so I "stock up". They also have them on clearance from time to time, and I pay around $1.50-$2 a can, so I do buy several in advance. About two years ago they cleared out most of their colors of metalizers (The only one I seem to see them have now is aluminum), so I bought every single one I could. I have no issue with those. I can still use these that have seeped, but I assume I need to soon, or decant them.

• 1 year later...

Bumpity-bump.

I have the same issue with 10 cans, all MM lacquer except 1 MM enamel. I contacted them and sent pictures. She mentioned that one of the cans I sent a picture of had been manufactured in 2000 and the newest one that she could make out the code was manufactured in 2007. She said that it was that the propellent had hardened and that is what was leaking.

Even so, she is offering me a 1-time goodwill gesture of some free paint. :o:D

IMG_20190323_160127475.thumb.jpg.074e23fabd2dc2d7b730e31acb60f9b0.jpg

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

Bumpity-bump.

I have the same issue with 10 cans, all MM lacquer except 1 MM enamel. I contacted them and sent pictures. She mentioned that one of the cans I sent a picture of had been manufactured in 2000 and the newest one that she could make out the code was manufactured in 2007. She said that it was that the propellent had hardened and that is what was leaking.

Even so, she is offering me a 1-time goodwill gesture of some free paint. :o:D

Interesting,  the propellant is the cause ,  I have cans that are under 10 years old that are leaking.

17 hours ago, Rodent said:

I contacted them and sent pictures....She said that it was that the propellent had hardened and that is what was leaking.

I have never experienced this...but I will check all my cans. I can see why that would cause it to stop working, but causing a leak??  Maybe it's  good idea to shake all the cans once or twice a year?

Edited by NOBLNG

I recently cleaned out the paint shelves in my garage. Many of the cans were old (20-30 years, some even older). I had to toss out a bunch of cans that leaked and STUCK to the shelf. All were Testors brand, no other brands.

I had written them off to being old and due to storage in the garage for so long, where the temperature fluctuates a lot.

But, yours weren't that old and you said you stored them indoors, so maybe you're onto something.