Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photo-etch mesh

Hi, i'm having a bugger of a time finding sheets of photo-etch mesh in honeycomb, diamond, rectangle, circle shapes. I tried MCG on Dec 22, and they still don't have any. Did find one place, but they only took checks, or money orders, and that wont work for me. I've also been all over ebay for nothing. Your help would be VERY much appreciated!.....I am sooooooofrustrated.    -THANKS

Dann, I recall seeing some sheets of mesh at a lhs that specialized in Gundam style kits. I believe that the mesh was made by the Japanese company Wave. This was a couple of years ago. Not sure if they have different opening configurations. I would suggest doing a search on either Hobby Link Japan or Hobby Search, looking at the Wave product line. I hope this helps a little.

Look at frying pan spatter screens at the grocery store , Walmart etc. These use a variety of materials for the screen from a fine woven mesh screen to a variety of etched metal screens, circles, diamonds etc. I've picked up a few over the years that work great for diamond shaped expanded metal. It generally works out to be much cheaper than buying etched metal from a hobby supplier.

Example

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Piece-Splatter-Screen-Set/36670309

The one downside is you have to buy them in person so you can see what the style of screen they use.

6 hours ago, Aaronw said:

Look at frying pan spatter screens at the grocery store , Walmart etc. These use a variety of materials for the screen from a fine woven mesh screen to a variety of etched metal screens, circles, diamonds etc. I've picked up a few over the years that work great for diamond shaped expanded metal. It generally works out to be much cheaper than buying etched metal from a hobby supplier.

Example

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Piece-Splatter-Screen-Set/36670309

The one downside is you have to buy them in person so you can see what the style of screen they use.

Fabulous idea! I'm going to look for one of those next week. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Detail Master marketed several different styles of grille mesh in the past. You may want to look them up.

Thanks, I tried them, but they didn't accept my type of payment, so I looked for them on ebay, and other hobby shops......to no avail.

18 hours ago, fumi said:

Thanks, Silvester!,  i'm going with Hobby Easy.....they have ALL the types of mesh I need, and they aren't sold out, or back ordered like everybody else......much appreciated!!

Items like mesh don't really have a scale because the 1:1 mesh on a vehicles could have many different dimensions.  To make it in-scale, you would have to know the 1:1 mesh dimensions, divide them by the scale of your model, then pick a mesh which has the dimensions close to what you need in scale.

So that hex mesh 0.43 x 0.37mm (used in a 1:24 scale model) would represent a 10.32 x 8.88mm mesh on 1:1 vehicle.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

Items like mesh don't really have a scale because the 1:1 mesh on a vehicles could have many different dimensions.  To make it in-scale, you would have to know the 1:1 mesh dimensions, divide them by the scale of your model, then pick a mesh which has the dimensions close to what you need in scale.

So that hex mesh 0.43 x 0.37mm (used in a 1:24 scale model) would represent a 10.32 x 8.88mm mesh on 1:1 vehicle.

That is why I said supposedly.  For the metrically challenges that would be about 5/16"X 3/4".  This is still pretty darned small and and in most cases, it would be about what looks right.  If you are going to paint it(say to make it flat black) then the dimensions shrink even more.  In modeling, the old Mark I eyeball is more important that all the micrometers in the world.