Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 GMC Sierra ( UGLY Truck)

None of the "new" trucks in the market place hold much attraction for myself. When I say none this includes the imports and the recently reintroduced mid sized trucks. I have been a truck owner for most of my purchasing years. I have had El Caminos, still my favorite, but mostly short bed 2wd 1/2 toners. I prefer the "pretty trucks", you know slightly lowered with a nice set of wheels and tires. The last truck that I owned was an '95 Chevy x-cab short bed lowered 4" all around with a windowless camper shell and 18" Coy wheels and 55 series tires. This is just my opinion, but the trucks today look more like the Tonka toys we had as when we were young. The grills - the wheel openings - the gap between the tire and the top of the wheel opening - any of the body features all seem over done to the point of being disproportionate in every way possible. The trucks today don't even look good as work trucks. Big gapping wheel wells with teeny tinny wheels and tires. I know many like the blacked out grill and trim look, but the work trucks just look like they left something off. The chromed look seems to be coming around again and some are chroming every little bit they can remove and have redone, but even that is being over done. While I have always been predisposed to buy GM products I find the new Dodges with the color keyed Sport option the only one I would consider, but that's just me. I'm sure there many who would think I'm nuts and that's fine also. Buy what you like, The Dodge is the only one that has a chance of seeing any of my money. .     

Wait until you see them in person. The GMC looks quite good when you can actually touch it and get a sense of the lines and whatnot. The Chev is awkward on some trim levels, and great on others. I have a Silverad o1500 LT Trail Boss on order right now for myself. Some amazing features though on both trucks, and they drive beautifully. 

Ford is going to have to do a ridiculous amount of catch up in order to just match what GM and Ram have come up with for 2019. In fact, I would bet that they are tweaking the timelines for the F150, in terms of refreshes and eventual resdesign.

Of course, none of that matters, because the fans of each brand will defend their brand to the death and will justify all flaws, even when they defy all logic and common sense. And those same brand fans will deride everything about the other brands, and will cut down evn the most innovative of features, even when their criticisms make no sense. And it still won;t matter, as all three brands will continue to sell a ton of trucks and remain at the top of domestic sales charts for years to come.

And in my professional opinion, the 2019 Ram 1500 is the truck to beat, in terms of features, fuel economy, how it drives, looks, and reliability. 

:)

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Ford is going to have to do a ridiculous amount of catch up in order to just match what GM and Ram have come up with for 2019. In fact, I would bet that they are tweaking the timelines for the F150, in terms of refreshes and eventual resdesign.

When I look at that 2019 GMC All I see is styling based on the Ford Super Duty. Not much catch up needed in my opinion since Ford nailed it when they started doing it in what, 2010 for Super Duty and 08 for the F-150? Besides the Super Duty is 3 times the truck that any competing model Chevy or GMC is. The GM offerings are still too optioned, from a cowboy cadillac to somewhat of a medium duty truck, GM 2500 still runs the gambit from being light duty incapable of hauling 1/2 a ton through to a heavy duty with the same capacity of a 3500 SRW. I abandoned GM because there were just too many options for suspension and brakes. To buy a GM 2500 truck off the lot and get anything close to the useful capacity of an F-250 Super Duty is too much of a chore. The Super Duty is the same no matter what creature comforts you want. Sorry but Ram 2500 and Fords F-250 Super Duty line are the only Real trucks in their class. Gm does fine with the 3500, but even then I would choose a Ram or Super Duty for long term quality.

Edited by dshue76

4 hours ago, dshue76 said:

When I look at that 2019 GMC All I see is styling based on the Ford Super Duty. Not much catch up needed in my opinion since Ford nailed it when they started doing it in what, 2010 for Super Duty and 08 for the F-150? Besides the Super Duty is 3 times the truck that any competing model Chevy or GMC is. The GM offerings are still too optioned, from a cowboy cadillac to somewhat of a medium duty truck, GM 2500 still runs the gambit from being light duty incapable of hauling 1/2 a ton through to a heavy duty with the same capacity of a 3500 SRW. I abandoned GM because there were just too many options for suspension and brakes. To buy a GM 2500 truck off the lot and get anything close to the useful capacity of an F-250 Super Duty is too much of a chore. The Super Duty is the same no matter what creature comforts you want. Sorry but Ram 2500 and Fords F-250 Super Duty line are the only Real trucks in their class. Gm does fine with the 3500, but even then I would choose a Ram or Super Duty for long term quality.

Wait, did I just post two pics of the same truck? Sorry, I don't see a resemblance here at all.

001 - ford.jpg

001 - gmc.jpg

15 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

This post brought you by FCA of Canada :D

:P I do not work for any one manufacturer. If someone wants to lease something from me, then I get it for them. I have my favourites, but no one makes a bad vehicle these days. 

1 minute ago, iamsuperdan said:

Wait, did I just post two pics of the same truck? Sorry, I don't see a resemblance here at all.

001 - ford.jpg

001 - gmc.jpg

:P I do not work for any one manufacturer. If someone wants to lease something from me, then I get it for them. I have my favourites, but no one makes a bad vehicle these days. 

Like I said Ford already did it and moved on. Here is the 2012 Super Duty. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsuper duty.jpg

When you need a grab bar/handle and multiple steps just to get into your truck's bed because the ride height is ridiculous for a truck which will never venture onto unpaved surfaces, especially with those all-season tires:

rryabkehz4laxnhgsedv.jpg

Edited by Casey

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

When you need a grab bar/handle and multiple steps just to get into your truck's bed because the ride height is ridiculous for a truck which will never venture onto unpaved surfaces, especially with those all-season tires:

It's no goofier than Ford's stepgate/handle setup. 

In either case, an overly complicated and expensive solution for a problem no one knew they had. At least on half tons anyway.

15 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

In either case, an overly complicated and expensive solution for a problem no one knew they had. At least on half tons anyway.

Modern full size trucks, even 2wd ones, seem to sit awfully high in the back, as far as the height of the bed floor relative to the ground.  I recall loading and unloading a rental F150 a few years ago, had to use a ramp..the old F series I've been around in the past (70s and 80s models) seemed lower to the ground...of course, those had small tires by comparison.

Edited by Rob Hall

6 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

True, which just highlights the excess designed into modern 4x4 pickups. I don't see it changing anytime soon, at least not until fuel prices rise again, and fuel economy standards are more difficult to achieve. "Why are our trucks so darn high, team?" :blink:

7 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

And in my professional opinion, the 2019 Ram 1500 is the truck to beat, in terms of features, fuel economy, how it drives, looks, and reliability. 

Kinda hard to judge a vehicle based on it being in the market for just as couple of months, isn't it? 

Aren't all three domestic making some kind of reliability claim these days, depending on which poll taker they use?

Whatever happened to that Styling Snafu's thread? Maybe that was on another board?
Oh, what a h¤#& you guys are lucky not to be looking at just Nissan Leafs all day like I have to, today I was even overtaken by a Puke and I nearly lost control as my eyes where buring so much.

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I still don't see a resemblence

I think people are picking up on the similarity of the front-end 'graphic', which is the most distilled, core expression (in light and dark tones) of the truck's "face". In this case, It could be called "Bars n' Brackets": a set of stacked horizontal slabs or grille-width rectangles in between brackets [ =====  ] created by the headlights and LED strips. In the case of the earlier Ford trucks, the brackets were literally in the grille as part of the chrome trim. 

In this image I slapped together, there are GMC and Ford designs, and my satirical take on the design language for all these trucks. Spot which is which!

The 2019 Chevy Silverado, well...at least it doesn't look like the others (yikes though).

TruckGraphic_Aug30_small-vi.jpg

In my opinion, all of these trucks have become way too massive & heavy looking in the front end in the past decade.

As someone who spends a little time behind the wheel in nearly all of them, I can say that they are all difficult to see over the hood from behind the wheel & I'm 6 ft. tall.

I wouldn't want to spend much time driving in traffic in any of them.

I think they have begun to take the "macho" thing a little too far

That plus the fact that they have become un-affordable to the people that actually need them is a big turn off.

The poor construction slobs that actually need an affordable work truck for their livelihood are reduced to trying to find a decent used one because a new truck costs a year's wages or more!

In the meantime, "soccer dads" are driving around in a 3 year old, top of the line truck with not a single scratch in the bed!

It has all become bass ackwards if you ask me.

Steve